“Safe, semi-luxurious, good meeting spaces, lots of outdoor areas”

Hotel Honduras Maya
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Panama City, Panama
“Safe, semi-luxurious, good meeting spaces, lots of outdoor areas”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was here for a week with a work conference, that was also in the hotel.

Pluses:
Given that Tegucigalpa is not the safest city, there are many areas of this hotel that you can be in, so you don't feel too enclosed "in the hotel all day."
Very nice view of the city if you have a corner room.
Great beds, good pillows.
Good, strong hot water and comfortable bath tub.
Really tasty Honduran breakfast buffet, but also with plenty of fruit and other options.
For conference set up - GREAT space and very receptive staff. This was probably one of the best conference spaces I have been in a long while.
In a safe (though small) area, where you can walk to a few other bars/restaurants.
Small, but functional gym and huge swimming pool. Also a hot tub.
Different in-house restaurants/bars to choose from that aren't too pricey.

Minuses:
On weekend nights, lots of noise because of the bar located inside the hotel, and the ones around the hotel. For weeknights, was silent.
The iron in my room was gross and had burned clothes stuck to it.
The carpeting is a little old.
The view is beautiful, but the windows wouldn't open to let in the fresh air.
Elevators were a hassle because the key cards only worked per floor, but then if you left the premises the card would deactivate.
Not enough people at the front desk. It took a half hour to check out because I needed the charges split, and there was only one person, checking out 5 people at once.

For where I have stayed in Honduras - I would recommend this place. It was very good.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it. Corner rooms have a unique view with windows on both side...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ValerieGW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my first stay at the Honduras Maya Hotel, and I was very pleased with the service, the location, the amenities and the people. Tegucigalpa has a reputation as a place of danger for international tourist, but in the hotel, and just around the property, my family and I felt very secure. It happened to be primary election day, so there were several detachments of the military police in the area...we were VERY safe!
Things to know: the elevators are hotel key protected, but they ONLY work when you slide them in slowly and in the direction shown...it was comical to watch some very impatient tourist. The outside patio area just outside of the restaurant is served by the restaurant first. If you want bar service (and a different menu) you have to request it at the outside bar. The breakfast is usually included with your room and is excellent! If you have a party of more than 2 staying in your room, you will have to pay the difference. You can buy large bottles of water at the outside bar (about $1.50 USD)
I NEVER trust Honduran tap water, and the hotel knows that, so they provide one bottle of water for your use in the room. (nice perk). We had two standard size beds with modern television and cable. The bathroom was recently updated with beautiful local tile...you may have to request more than two towels from the front desk.
We were on the 1st floor facing the street, and there was no noise...except for Friday night, where the nightclub partied to about 3am...go join them, it is better than trying to sleep through it! My friends on the 5th floor said they heard it and ones on the 6th did not.
Security: if you use a taxi, have the hotel arrange for it...they speak English. If you want to walk around the area, DO NOT GO PAST THE SECOND SET OF SPEED BUMPS! I had several local friends tell me this...there for there must be a reason.
Wifi is free and fast. The pool looked great! Learn a few courtesy phrases in Spanish and enjoy the beautiful country! This is my second time in Honduras, I will be back in the spring!

Room Tip: The pool side has the best views, but there was a band out there one night. The street side was qui...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JustinFlowers
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our flight got cancelled to Roatan, Airline put us here said it was a 4 star. We were given an R floor room wich is basically under the Lobby, it's kind of a cliff setting, so you can. Anyway, this is one of the worst rooms I've stayed in 20 years lol. Dirty old carpet, mildew shower, just terrible 70's motel 6 type thing.

We're beat, after a small nap spoke to front desk told them, he checked and said the rooms are sold out and these are the non-updated rooms. So in fairness to them I can see why the reviews for this place aren't as low. So make sure you don't get an R floor room, my advice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kokolig
Comayagua, Honduras
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I really like the older hotels in Central America and this one is not exception. It's retro styling in the lobby and grounds was a real treat. The pool is huge, and there's a hot tub also. The restaurant was professionally staffed and we had a pretty good meal. I was fortunate enough to get a corner room on an upper floor that had a great view of the mountain behind downtown. The bed was new and very comfortable. The staff fixed a problem with the TV immediately. Front desk staff were friendly. The newer, big hotels in Tegucigalpa have been built in a different location, close to a mall, leaving this hotel and a couple others right near it behind the times a little. But you're very close to downtown and the neighborhood is beautiful, making this Tegucigalpa landmark and excellent choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The lobby of the hotel is undergoing renovation. Cheking in was pretty quick. The room seemed a bit dated. The beds had bedspreads which I hate. No telling when the last time they were cleaned. The bathroom was more than adequate. The bed room had great views of the city, especially the corner rooms (windows on two walls). There is a very nice outdoor patio from the bar in the main lobby. In the cool evenings, there are very nice veiws from there. It was quite enjoyable. The room price was a good value. The breakfast was large and prepared well. I did not have any problems with the food while there.....I didn't have any ice or tap water. I would recommend it for a budget concious traveller.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Clovis, California
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Maya is an older property that is still a great value and place to stay. Some of the furnishings are getting a little tired but the service and food make up for any perceived shortcomings. This is my third stay here and as always it was a pleasure. The grounds are wonderful, the restaurants are great and the staff is extremely helpful. A small bar with live music gives ambience and a lot of locals use the facility for meetings, parties, etc. Recommend staying here for a touch of Honduran culture and service.

Room Tip: Request higher floots to avoid music from the bar.
Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here last week with my daughter in a fourth floor room with two queen beds. My daughter has stayed here for work seven times since January and said most rooms are "less used" looking than the one we had. The bed sloped to one side, requiring me to position myself in the middle. Walls and areas near door knobs were dirty. Our room overlooked the pool and the city for great views. Windows were locked shut and did not have screens. The thermostat worked well to keep our room at the temperature we chose. We took advantage of the Wi-fi in the lobby but eventually were able to connect within our room. Wi-fi appears to go on and off unpredictably and I never found a strong signal. We also had pedicures ($5) and shampoos/hair straightening ($6) at a salon on the lower level (near the pastry shop). Breakfast was buffet style but had a huge variety of things to choose from including eggs. beans, fried plantains, breads, muffins, cookies, cereal, yogurt, several types of fresh fruit, juices, coffee etc. It took an hour to get to the airport from this hotel due to city traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the building overlooking the pool. Higher floors have upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family