“Not As Good As It Used To Be”

Hotel Honduras Maya
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here years ago and this hotel is badly in need of updating and refurbishing.
There are cracked and missing tiles on the floor in the elevators, the bedrooms are adeqaute at best. The air conditioning still works, and the food was okay. That said, the staff is still excellent and conscientious and do the best with what they have.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Honduras Maya

Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel is very comfortable, has a good restaurant and very attentive staff. My room was very clean and had a great view of the city and pool. I attended a conference here and the conference rooms were well equipped and well catered. Pool, deck area and lobby area are all nice areas to relax. Located in a neighborhood with a couple of good restaurants and a fun bar. It's also within walking distance of a very good grocery store. Only annoyance was that the room keys get deprogrammed very easily and I had to replace my key almost every time I wanted to enter my room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed at the Honduras Maya hotel for about a week and a half while on business in Tegucigalpa. The hotel has gotten mixed reviews so I will put in my 2 cents. I know it's old but it is well maintained, nice and has a lot of character. I found the staff to be universally helpful and friendly, everyone from the desk clerks to the restaurant staff to the bellman to the cleaning lady- who came running downstairs while I was still checking out to look for me an give me something I had inadvertently left in the room. I would happily stay there again.

Two issues that need to be resolved:
1> The key cards only work once or maybe twice and then you have to take them to the front desk to get re-set. This was extremely annoying. I was there with a group and we ended up going to the front desk every time we entered the hotel. On top of that, at times the card would work in the elevator but not at your room door, or would open your room door but not the gym. It's a problem they need to address.
2> This is really the first hotel of this caliber I have seen in which there is NO WATER and NO TOWELS in the gym. Please?

Again- good hotel, I liked it. Just a couple of things to resolve.

Don't know about the cost- I didn't pay.

Room Tip: My room was right across from the elevator and I am a light sleeper- but I NEVER heard any noise fro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ExPatinNica
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have stayed many times in the Honduras Maya when I lived in Honduras for four years. I think at the beginning in the 90's this was THE hotel in Tegucigalpa. Unfortunately, through time and with more hotels coming in and more competition, what remains of Honduras Maya is the good memory of old good times. I think the hotel needs to invest and renovate itself and rethink itself to beat the competition. Location is not so good anymore and installations and rooms are old. They need to be refurbished to fulfill the standards and promises of Honduras Maya to its clientele.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I wrote a review back in 2007; I've stayed here seven or eight times (at least) since then. I continue to be very satisfied with the hotel. What I said before is still true (of course): this is not the newest, best furnished, or flashiest hotel in Tegus. BUT. It is a great place with comfortable rooms, good food, and a staff that will do their best to serve you if you give them a chance. Rooms with "05" or "06" have 2-way views (corner) to el Picacho & el Centro.

It is well located in a central hotel district, with other good restaurants within a short block walk. All visitors to Tegucigalpa should be very careful after dark wherever one might go; be prudent and be careful.

Honduras May is a good value with many good employees.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The rooms in the executive level $130 if you check fairly $40 dollars is what they should ask and consider it a great price I always like to enjoy good places and wanted to try honduras maya, not even locals like the rooms,because of the not very safe location I went to reception I asked a woman if she would please get me transportation and charge it to my room, she was like " oh no, we do not do that here'' in a very dispective way, employes in this hotel give the impression they are only there for a paycheck. Was out in the pool area and had to leave because of a huge rat, an employee by the name of leo came out of the restaurant I made mention about it and the service from the very first day the hotel lack of communication, they offer to pick you up from the airport and with even over 24 hour request I waited about 45 minutes before someone finally came and only because my family members called for a third time,I made mention of room rates leo responded that it is another roll here in a very careless way, they offer wireless internet and forget it I got two different people tampering with my lap top and ended broken, do not let these people touch your computer if yo plan to stay here. Me first and last! very dissaponting their hearts are not for you very detached, need major training in customer service!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Yes true, Honduras Maya Hotel was great stay if only we forget those bad experiences with staffs. Can’t say if all of them were the same but the least we interacted with were not helpful at all. If take the attention off it, the hotel was fabulous. It is set on a great location and is studded with all facilities. Definitely far more than expectations we hatched. Food was delicious with good varieties. Overall we had a good stay that could have been much better.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple