“Your hacienda up on the Hill”

President House Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Tegucigalpa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Your hacienda up on the Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Set up on a swanky, exclusive hill up in the Tegucigalpa suburbs, this is a lovely place with the feel of a Spanish hacienda. We loved the large rooms, tiled bathrooms, and dining rooms. Our only concern was the time and effort it took to find the place - not very accessible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
casadelviajero, Propietario at President House Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for your comments. Yes, this is a Spanish style house built by a President of Honduras back in 1973. It has a historical value and it is quite charming. We will keep on trying to make it easier for our guests for their arrival. The best way is whenever they contact us to leave us your email so we can send a detail copy, also in our webpage is a map to get to our hostel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I'm a filmmaker, who spent a couple months staying in different hotels before finding Casa del Viajero. I then spent 4 months there and it felt like a home away from home. Gabriel & Luisa are two of the nicest people I've ever met, and not only have I found a great place to stay when I return to Tegus, I have gained two wonderful friends.

Keys to why I love staying here. It's SAFE. It's VERY CLEAN. It's CLASSY. It's UNIQUE.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Ian H
Sopot, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed with my friend at Casa del Viajero at the end of September. Room was really cosy and clean, also Maria- girl who works there was super nice all the time.
We had our room cleaned every day. SImple, but delicious breakfast was served every morning and again Maria did great job, preparing all eggs,tortillas and watermelon juice!
Delicious. The rate for the room is also not so high. I would definietely reccomend that hotel!
Luisa, the owner I guess, was very helpful providing information about trips,
things to do in Tegus and everytime we needed anything we could call her. SO nice! :)

Room Tip: all the rooms are cosy
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalia1988
Zoutelande, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Casa del Viajero is a very nice place to stay for visit Tegucigalpa and region. The owners are very dedicated to run this hotel as best as possible and are very helpfull to make it a pleasant stay. Room number 12 gives you a spectacular view over the city, day and night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank VanderGiessen
Sterling, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER

Casa Del Viajero was not upfront about any of its dealings with us, and our treatment there was a black stain on an otherwise positive four month journey through Honduras. As an experienced traveler whose grown accustomed to the adjustments required when traveling in new places, I can say with absolute confidence that I've never in my life been treated less like a guest. The owner's lack of consideration for his guests and staff is appalling.

My husband and I had been in Honduras for several months when he was called back home. Planning to stay in the Tegucigalpa area to continue working, I contacted Casa Del Viajero and asked to see a room in our price range. The room we were shown (the only one they said was available when we got to the house) was $300 above the price I was quoted over the phone. It wasn't even that nice a room!

The next day Gabriel, the owner, contacted us and told me that there was (somehow) a room in our price range, however there was some work being done in that part of the hotel. Did I mind having workers there during the day while the finishing touches were completed? Figuring I would be working during the day anyway, I said sure, paid the deposit, and continued making arrangements for our vacation.

We finished up my husband's last ten days in the country with a bay island vacation, and came back to Tegucigalpa to find the room wasn't ready. Gabriel put us in another location, saying the room would be ready the following day. The room we were placed in was all right, however breakfast, was a pretty sad affair. The food was pretty lackluster.

Later in the evening, Gabriel called and said the room wouldn't be ready until the day AFTER. Finally, Gabriel said the room was ready, however he was 45 minutes late with the car, and when he did arrive he had the guests who would be replacing us in tow. They were required to wait, like we were waiting, in the living room while the room was cleaned. The whole thing was very akward.

Finally on the road, we were told we would have to wait in the living room of his main location, because the room was still not ready. After yet another hour--two days, one hour and 45 minutes after we had arrived in Tegucigalpa--we asked to see the room.

He took us to the back of the hotel, where a major extension of the hotel was being built and led us into the construction to the most dismal little half-finished, poorly outfitted room I've ever seen. There were cables coming out of the walls. Nothing was finished, and just outside the door, at least a half dozen men were painting, using solvents on the floors, hammering, and yelling above the din to one another. I was told that the painting, which was wafting fumes into the room, would be continuing for another two weeks, and of course the rest of the building hadn't even been finished yet.

"I can't live here!" I said. "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I'm sensative to medication ... this is a contstruction site! You want me to pay to live in a construction site?"

The only solution available, other than trying to find a place to live in 24 hours or going back to the states a month early and cutting out on my job, was a room at his wife's parent's house, who were renting a room. The house was near my work, and luckily the room was in good shape, however the man of the house (Gabriel's father-in-law) didn't seem to be too happy having my husband spending the night with me in the house the night before his flight: it was apparent that Gabriel had not mentioned this would be the case. He then charged my husband and I for his transportation to the airport, which should have been part of our stay.

Although I was grateful to find a place to stay near my job so I could finish my obligation, it required some diplomacy, as the family is wealthy by Honduran standards and very classist. I found it rather odd to be spoken to through the maid, for instance. If not for my friends and students at work, I would have been very very lonely.

Overall, I will never forget the way I was treated by Gabriel. I felt taken advantage of by his careless, thoughtless, classless and irresponsible behavior. He seems to think that his guests should be grateful for whatever service he deigns to give, regardless of its quality. He's one of the most stuck up people I've ever met, and a poor excuse for an innkeeper. He's not to be trusted.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business