“Truly Honduran”

Ranked #17 of 226 Restaurants in Tegucigalpa
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The best Typical Honduran Restaurant! Opened since 1977, the only restaurant in Honduras to have ever received a recommendation from the most influential newspaper, the New York Times. Its a MOST if you visit Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed August 29, 2012

El Patio is the typical Honduran place to eat. The restaurant is in a large thatched roof structure with an open kitchen and lots of greenery. Tropical is the word here.

The food is great. Definitely, arrive with an appetite. You will NOT go away hungry. Portions are enough for you and a friend, or a good size take home plate. Meat is the main food here, and they know their stuff. But the menu is varied, and also contains chicken and seafood. Beef shish ka bob (pincho) is the specialty of the house, but is also served as a chicken or shrimp antree as well.

The atmosphere is friendly and family style, very down to earth. But you're as likely to be sitting next to the president of the central bank, as the guy next door. Everyone comes to this place for a good time and good eating.

Service can be sketchy, but only at really peak times, as the place fills to overflowing at times.

Evenings will sometimes see wandering musicians or dancers which make the place even more lively. A fun time is had by all here.

Art

Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you are a tourist you can not go away without visiting El Patio. You can sit and eat a great " Plato Tipico" and some nights listen to mariachis. Try Pupusas

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great pinchos (kabobs). El patio has a relaxing atmosphere and I have not found any food I did not like. I highly recommend.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

great food, great service! wonderful atmosphere. authentic right down to the guys walking around singing to your table.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

There are two "El Patios" that I know of in Tegucigalpa, but this is my experience at the one that is directly on the ground level (the other one is slightly elevated - never been there).

I happened to be here on a Friday night with a group, and little did any of us know that Friday night is "blast-your-ears-off music night". At first it was fine - the food was fine and there was a cute little mariachi-type band making rounds throughout the place. But then, the staff brought out some huge speakers, placed them directly behind my head, and proceeded to blast music at what I believe to be about 1 million decibels.

I felt sorry for the band who was probably just trying to make some tips, and I felt sorry for myself, as I am prone to migraines. We asked the staff to turn it down a bit and they replied dismissively, "This is what we normally do."

My experience was quite a bad one, but on the other hand, if you don't mind ear-piercing music and don't care if you go completely deaf by the time you are 50, you should have no problem with this place.

Also, I don't know if they do this just on Friday or what. Lunch time should be fine. But I was put off by their dismissive attitude and will not return.