“Trapped and left to suffer”

Apart Hotel Villa Nuria
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Pachuca, Mexico
“Trapped and left to suffer”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My first hours in Honduras were spent at the maximum security correctional facility known as Villa Nuria. I arrived thirsty and starving at one a.m. and began my stay by enduring a seemingly endless accounting of every fork and teacup in the spartan kitchen-equipped room. The irony was I was leaving in a matter of hours for Santa Rosa De Copan and just wanted a bottle of drinkable water and a banana or a bag of pretzels or something to put in my stomach. After the clipboard spoon review I went to the front desk to ask about getting some water and something to eat. The clerk told me no. Just no. I had seen a open convenience store a few hundred yards away, so I asked if i could get a cab and go to the store. No, he said. That would be impossible. I have spent a lot of time in Latin America and I know there is no such thing as impossible. He told me there were no cabs and there was no water or food available. Exhausted and aghast, i sarcastically asked him if HE had anything to drink or eat. I got the same smug denial. I went to the room and boiled water do drink and brush my teeth. Imagine my surprise when at daybreak I discover a whole dining spectacular with bottled beverages and fruit and juices and baked goods and on and on...
The dude at the desk would have happily let me starve when I was clearly desperate. He later charged my card for the refundable $100 deposit, and it too three irate phone calls to get the money returned. Some kitchen and waitstaff smiled at me the next day and I wanted to hug them, as abused as I had felt. Maybe it was just the surly sadist at the night desk, but this place was about as welcoming as a dentist's office in Dante's Inferno.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sambo Creek, Honduras
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago, I liked it because they would let me park my car there for short trips to the USA and I would stay either upon my return or leaving or both. Recently I planned another trip like this, I emailed the hotel twice to get a price for dropping my car off and then staying on the night of my return.

After many emails on my part I finally got a reply stating that it would be okay to leave my car but would have to pay for a 3 person room. Which would be an extra $40 over and above a single room cost and I thought was fair for parking.

When I got there, after I had checked in at the airport. 1. There was no shuttle available to take me and then after a 30 minute check in time, my card was charged for 2 nights even though he knew I was heading to the airport that minute.

We printed off all emails that made it perfectly clear of my intentions and he had to call the manager to get the extra $80 removed from my credit card.

The daytime manager (who should be fired) looked pissed off that we had disturbed him and basically said that was tough for me it's there new policy.

At this point it was too late for me to do anything else but continue on with my plan. I had to take a taxi which cost me another $15.

Upon my return, I had arranged for the shuttle to pick me up at the airport. I also called the hotel as soon as I got off the plane to let them know I had arrived and that I'd be through customs soon. It took me about 20 minutes to get through customs and when I came out there was no shuttle. I called the hotel 2 times more and still ended up waiting another 15 minutes for it.

When I got to the hotel, the night time manager was very nice. I had explained what had happened. She looked at my bill and agreed with me she said I was over charged. She did say that the policy is to charge for 2 nights but only as a single which is what I was. They had charged me one night single and an additional night triple still resulting in an $80 over billing.

Ye promised to have it rectified in the am and would be there when I checked out at 8:00 am. Well she wasn't there and there was no way I would speak to the other manager again.

All of the staff with that one exception is very pleasant but unfortunately the room quality has gone downhill as well.

Too bad one person is losing the owner so much business. I will NEVER return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Pedro Sula hotels

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Horrible rooms, the A/C was extremely loud, the tv cable wasn't working, the beds and pillows were hard, there was no hot water in the shower. The only thing is that they are close to the airport and have a shuttle, otherwise i would never go back.

• Stayed June 2013
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel complex isn't big on looks, but it is affordable, reasonably clean, and most importantly, safe and secure, in a somewhat dangerous city. The complex consists of about 30 three story buildings built back to back with minimal landscaping, streets, and parking areas. My husband described it as "jail block" style. However the complex is walled and gated and guarded 24/7 with armed guards. It feels very safe to walk from your apartment to the convenience store, restaurant, laundry and pool, all on the premises. The accommodations are apartments rather than rooms and consist of two bedrooms, a bathroom with shower stall, a kitchen, and a sitting area with TV (with English channels). Furniture is basic. One bedroom has twin beds; the other has a queen bed. Each apartment comes with eight towels, four white and four blue (for the pool). The kitchen has pots and pans, utensils, plates, cups and glasses, should you want to cook. Breakfast is served buffet style in the restaurant and is included. Prices for dinner in the restaurant seem modest for Americans ($6-$10) but are steep for locals. The hotel has a shuttle which will pick you up at the airport or bus station if requested ahead of time by phone or email. The shuttle does about four scheduled trips a day to the airport, the bus station, and the downtown as well. Shuttle departures are punctual, shuttle drivers courteous and respectable, and the shuttle vans are quite new. Our shuttle driver and his assistant waited for us for over an hour when our flight arrived late this past week. The hotel is heavily used by foreign aid groups when they enter and exit the country. This was evidence to us of the relative safety provided by this hotel. Note that the reception area is busy. Once you have checked in, you cannot go directly to your apartment. Instead a staff member will escort you to your apartment to verify contents and damage (if any) at the beginning of your stay - and you may have to wait for him to come back from escorting the last customer. In our case a chip in the glass dining table was the only damage noted. When you check out, a staff member will again accompany you back to the apartment to do an inventory and check for new damage. Allow time for this when you check out if you are on a schedule. The complex was quiet at night. Location is good - about 15 minutes from the airport towards the city. For all of the above, the cost including 16% taxes was $87.

Room Tip: Let the reception know if stairs are an issue; I did not see any elevators. Stairs to some apartment...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Villa Nuria is the hotel we stay at with our Missionary group each time we visit Honduras which
is a minimum of two three times a year. Although the accomodations might not be the "best" in the hotel industry their rooms are clean, spacious, decent and basically adequate. The hotel is has a quiet atmosphere and the surroundings are clean and well kept. Since we always travel with many people and foreigners as ourselves tend to stick out like a sore thumb among the native residents security and safety is a top priority for us.

There is no other security like the security in Villa Nuria. Although they are kinda rough and impressively thorough when you first enter their installation one must logically accept it is for the best of the people staying there. It makes us feel safe that they are hands on with everyone who wants to enter the hotel. At the gate, they require identification and even take names if they are in a bit of distrust at that moment. Knowing your safety is highly guarded while you sleep allows you to have a good nights sleep and rest. It assures you that you will find your hotel room and your belongings as you left them when you went out and got back. Never had anything gone missing or disrupted. They are so strict that if you want to give the housekeeping staff anything you have left over when you go to check out you must sign a document stating the items given to them because they are also subject to seach if leaving the hotel after their shift with anything other than their handbag.

Note: After a couple of days the guards get use seeing you staying there they wave you in and become much more flexible knowing you are a hotel guest.

The other great thing besides the security is the nice free buffet breakfast and the room service from their restaurant. The menu is varied, reasonably priced and the food is very good, well prepared and tasty. The manager is there every morning having breakfast with the hotel guest which makes it easy to relay any comment, compliment or complaint. He is a very nice person and anything bought to his attention gets taken care of quickly.

That being said. The only area I find they must improve is the quality of their towels and sheets which are somewhat worn out, these are things you can take with you from your home when you travel. They do take note of everything you get in the room at check in and check out. Just be sure to leave things the way you found them and return everything that was in the room or inform immediately the moment you left a towel at the pool so you won't be charged for it, etc. and you'll be sure to skip the drama at check out. Overall, we all like Villa Nuria and it's the one hotel we always feel safe at.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited Villa Nuria while on a mission trip in Honduras, so we had a fairly large group of people staying here. While some have complained about the military approach, we were told in advance that the area around Villa Nuria is one of the more dangerous parts of San Pedro Sula due to increasing drug traffic through the city. The locals informed us that while the neighborhood was definitely bad, Villa Nuria was safe, and the extra security made us feel relieved even if it is less than welcoming.

The rooms are nice, with fun spiral staircases leading to some rooms. The water heaters cause you to be shocked if you touch the metal parts of the shower, so be cautious. The little shop and the restaurant were fair quality as well. The pool was fun for all of us (we were low 20s up to 60s in age) and was warm like bathwater.

The room check prior to getting your key is because there are so many items that people could steal. We appreciated being able to use the kitchen items, so having them ascertain that all items are there prior to our check in was fine by us. The guard was also very nice while he checked, so it's not like he was suspicious of us. Be flexible and just enjoy the fact that the A/C works, the pool is decent, and a breakfast with many options is included. Many places in Honduras do not have such amenities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stevie C
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Villa Nuria is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Period. I have stayed in many hotels in San Pedro Sula over the years. I lived in SPS and Roatan, and have continued to visit San Pedro Sula annually over two decades. My wife and I decided to try Villa Nuria because it is close to my wife's family home ( ten minute walk). The rooms were basic, but livable. However, what makes this hotel as bad as the title of this review is the way guests are treated. Our "greeting" was fused into a taking of inventory in our rooms with the Front Desk manager. He counted every fork, knife, wash towel, etc., marking each item down and having me sign the bottom of each page of inventory. This was not the way I expected our family vacation to start. The inventory taking took what seemed to be a vey long time. Trying to stay positive, I took the position that this was hotel policy, and that the manager was just doing what he was told to do. Nonetheless, I felt as if he were talking to an inmate at a prison.
My wife and I rented two large rooms, as we thought it would be a nice treat for my daughter's cousins ( pre-teens) to stay with us as hotel guests and enjoy the pool. Later that day, we went to pick up the kids ( three kids) and return to the hotel. The security guards stopped our car at the gate. I am used to Central American ways, so was not surprised or upset by them stopping us for a security check. Like the manager and the inventory, I couldn't help but feel we were entering a prison. The guards held us up for, again, what seemed like ages. They told us that the children were not allowed to enter, as they were not guests. Still calm, I let them know that the children were guests indeed, and that they had their own rooms, pre-paid, with adult supervision at all times. The guards demanded that we hand over our ID cards ( my passport) for verification. Meanwhile, while they wrote down ID and passport information, I went to the Front Desk to let them know I was getting more and more unhappy by the "military treatment" my family and I were having to endure. The manager's response was that it was military because the guards were ex-military. I reminded him that he and the guards were in the hospitality industry, and that strong-arming is not the way to ensure repeat business. 25 minutes later, the kids were reluctantly allowed entrance.

The next morning, those of us who ate the cold and greasy sausages got the added bonus of Montezuma's revenge. Oh, what a holiday!

Having pre-paid for too many nights, we stuck it out for the entire ten days. On leaving, we were subjected to another inventory check. Two threadbare towels were missing, so he demanded, rudely, that I pay. I did pay, after he was unwilling to hear that the towels were probably with housekeeping. Housekeeping finally came on the day before we left. I haven't really captured how miserable the staff were, and yes, completely untrained in anything hotel/guest related. By the way, Villa Nuria was quite a bit more expensive than th Gran Hotel Sula or the Metrotel. HTat didn't bother me so much. I would have loved seeing a smile here and there, but no. We wont be back

Room Tip: Don't ever pre-pay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family