“Near the airport, decent accomodations, bad neighborhood”

and 1 more site!
Apart Hotel Villa Nuria
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited Villa Nuria while on a mission trip in Honduras, so we had a fairly large group of people staying here. While some have complained about the military approach, we were told in advance that the area around Villa Nuria is one of the more dangerous parts of San Pedro Sula due to increasing drug traffic through the city. The locals informed us that while the neighborhood was definitely bad, Villa Nuria was safe, and the extra security made us feel relieved even if it is less than welcoming.

The rooms are nice, with fun spiral staircases leading to some rooms. The water heaters cause you to be shocked if you touch the metal parts of the shower, so be cautious. The little shop and the restaurant were fair quality as well. The pool was fun for all of us (we were low 20s up to 60s in age) and was warm like bathwater.

The room check prior to getting your key is because there are so many items that people could steal. We appreciated being able to use the kitchen items, so having them ascertain that all items are there prior to our check in was fine by us. The guard was also very nice while he checked, so it's not like he was suspicious of us. Be flexible and just enjoy the fact that the A/C works, the pool is decent, and a breakfast with many options is included. Many places in Honduras do not have such amenities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stevie C

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Villa Nuria is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Period. I have stayed in many hotels in San Pedro Sula over the years. I lived in SPS and Roatan, and have continued to visit San Pedro Sula annually over two decades. My wife and I decided to try Villa Nuria because it is close to my wife's family home ( ten minute walk). The rooms were basic, but livable. However, what makes this hotel as bad as the title of this review is the way guests are treated. Our "greeting" was fused into a taking of inventory in our rooms with the Front Desk manager. He counted every fork, knife, wash towel, etc., marking each item down and having me sign the bottom of each page of inventory. This was not the way I expected our family vacation to start. The inventory taking took what seemed to be a vey long time. Trying to stay positive, I took the position that this was hotel policy, and that the manager was just doing what he was told to do. Nonetheless, I felt as if he were talking to an inmate at a prison.
My wife and I rented two large rooms, as we thought it would be a nice treat for my daughter's cousins ( pre-teens) to stay with us as hotel guests and enjoy the pool. Later that day, we went to pick up the kids ( three kids) and return to the hotel. The security guards stopped our car at the gate. I am used to Central American ways, so was not surprised or upset by them stopping us for a security check. Like the manager and the inventory, I couldn't help but feel we were entering a prison. The guards held us up for, again, what seemed like ages. They told us that the children were not allowed to enter, as they were not guests. Still calm, I let them know that the children were guests indeed, and that they had their own rooms, pre-paid, with adult supervision at all times. The guards demanded that we hand over our ID cards ( my passport) for verification. Meanwhile, while they wrote down ID and passport information, I went to the Front Desk to let them know I was getting more and more unhappy by the "military treatment" my family and I were having to endure. The manager's response was that it was military because the guards were ex-military. I reminded him that he and the guards were in the hospitality industry, and that strong-arming is not the way to ensure repeat business. 25 minutes later, the kids were reluctantly allowed entrance.

The next morning, those of us who ate the cold and greasy sausages got the added bonus of Montezuma's revenge. Oh, what a holiday!

Having pre-paid for too many nights, we stuck it out for the entire ten days. On leaving, we were subjected to another inventory check. Two threadbare towels were missing, so he demanded, rudely, that I pay. I did pay, after he was unwilling to hear that the towels were probably with housekeeping. Housekeeping finally came on the day before we left. I haven't really captured how miserable the staff were, and yes, completely untrained in anything hotel/guest related. By the way, Villa Nuria was quite a bit more expensive than th Gran Hotel Sula or the Metrotel. HTat didn't bother me so much. I would have loved seeing a smile here and there, but no. We wont be back

Room Tip: Don't ever pre-pay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Villa Nuria is a nice place to stay for a weekend if you need to be near the airport or Progreso.It needs more maintanance. Have stayed there a few times and have seen the deterioration. Breakfast is now too greasy and unpleasant to the view. The pool, as others have mentioned, is its best feature.

Room Tip: If travelling with elders, request a room on the first floor. If staying over a weekend, check fo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

At the beginning ir looked as good option from the value point of view, but then you encounter people like Javier Melgar (receptIon), at least that is what he said hIs name was, for any reference he was working on Monday December 17 th 2012, he was very rude and insolent, he even threatened to go into a fist fight with me. It is very sad that one person alone could ruin the whole image of a business! The sad part about it is that this employee will still be there when someone else visits. Hope this is helpful to anyone visiting this amazing country with amazing people.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Otto C
Reviewed October 4, 2012

First impression you get when you arrive at Villa Nuria is that you enter a high security perimeter, as if you were entering a prison: A fence with guards checking your passport and the whole hotel surrounded by barbed wire.
The villas were pretty depressing, so it was not a very cheerful experience at all!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AlexisB1
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had an early morning flight to catch out of SAP, so we were looking for somewhere as close as possible. We arrived before too late, so it wasn't as dangerous, but the surrounding barrio is not credited as being very safe, usually. The hotel itself, however, is quite secure. The check-in process seemed to take a long time, though, and we had to wait several minutes for the man to come and pre-check the room. Once settled in the room, though, it was restful and comfortable. It was equipped with way more than we needed, but if our stay were to have been longer, it would have been perfect, as it had a little two-burning cooking unit, a small fridge, coffee maker, cupboards, sink, kitchen table, etc. It was a two-bedroom, with three total beds, which was also WAY above and beyond what we required.
We went to the restaurant for dinner, and found the service to be excellent, and the food was delicious. My husband ordered the typical Honduran style breakfast and was satisfied, and I had a shrimp Alfredo that thoroughly pleased my bit of Italian blood! The restaurant atmosphere was relaxed and very professional.
I had to check out early-morning, and I was afraid the process would take a long time, but I was pleasantly surprised. My husband popped in, and popped back out with his deposit, (like renting an apartment or house, one is required to place a deposit, plus the "rent" to insure all the items stay in the rooms, and nothing is damaged). The gate guards were very friendly, and warmly greeted us every time we entered or left the gated area.
Very nice option for a traveler flying in or out of SAP!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizardgeek
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We recently spent two night in this apartment-hotel. We arrived at 1AM Honduras time, they offered shuttle service but we already had someone meeting us at the airport. I love the facilities, but unfortunately the surrounding neighborhood is not very safe, if you are looking for a place to unwind and stay inside the complex this is a great place, just DO NOT go wondering outside of the complex unless you have a vehicle. As I mentioned before it is not a safe neighborhood. Getting back to the hotel, they have a pool, restaurant, playground, hair cuttery and a convenience store inside the complex. The rooms are equiped with a mini fridge, AC, Kitchenette, small stove top. It is not luxirous but it does the job.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business