Real InterContinental San Pedro Sula at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Reviewed January 16, 2010

This hotel has first class service and amenities. Corteous and efficent staff, the best and most sumptuous breakfast and lunch buffet in San Pedro Sula. Very comfortable and elegant rooms, Nice pool and relaxing gardens. Unbeatable location: downtown and right next to the mall . It is our favorite hotel in San Pedro Sula.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 10, 2009

Before going to the intercontinental (but AFTER we booked) we checked out the comments on this page, and to say the least we were NOT looking forward to our stay. We were prepared for horrible customer service, but much to our surprise, everything went more than well.

To start we had read that the airport shuttle was unreliable - we were super nervous about this because we were flying in late at night, and the flight had been delayed, however Jon was waiting for us and all went well. Also the website that we booked on stated airport transfer was complimentary however hotel policy states a $10 transfer fee - we were prepared to argue with the "horrendous" costumer service people, but surprisingly they honored the free transfer!

The rooms were great, bed was so comfy.. we had no problems at all. Would for sure go back again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Let me preface this by saying that I've been to over 30 countries around the world, and have stayed in everything from tents to hostels to 5-star hotels. I am young and I am in no way a picky or high-maintenance traveler, but as I knew that safety was a serious concern in San Pedro Sula, I decided to go with what ratings indicated was one of the (if not the) top hotels in the city, as I was only there for 3 nights meeting my wife before continuing on my trip around Central America.

In short, the rooms and the aesthetic of the hotel are comparable other Intercontinental around the world that I've stayed in; the service, however, was amongst the worst that I've received in any class of hotel anywhere, both in developed and developing countries. This is made more aggravating by the fact that the hotel charges outrageously high rates for the area ($120-$180 depending on the day of the week), and also overcharges you on food, service items, etc.

Here are some of the more memorable moments:

- At the restaurant, we ordered "Shrimp and Snail Pasta" (US$17), which the menu had as "The Chef's Special." We asked if that meant actual snails in the pasta, and the waiter assured us that this was the case. (My wife has only had escargot once, and wanted to make sure that this would be somewhat similar, as opposed to some local unknown variety that she wouln't up to trying). When the entree arrived, we noted that there were actually no snails in the pasta. I then realized that "shrimp and snail pasta" meant the pasta itself was shaped like "snails" (i.e., shells). However, the waiter continuously insisted that the snails were actually "mixed in with the sauce," and that's why I couldn't see them, and this was one of their specialties, "so he was really sure." This was pretty insulting to my intelligence. There were other incidents too - for instance, waiters forgetting parts of our order, taking 20+ minutes to bring drinks, etc., but by the end of my stay I figured it was all just par for the course for the place. One particularly interesting incident was when the manager of the restaurant offered us nachos and bread for appetizers on our first night and said it was part of their regular service, then on our second night we had to ask 3 times for it (and ultimately it came cold, and after our meal had been served), and on our third night, he says that he had originally given us the appetizers as a "gift" and did not want to do it again. When he saw how absurd this all sounded to us he said he would bring it -- but ultimately never did. This of course does not even begin to comment on how bad the food was. The worst example was an onion soup for $8 which, with no exaggeration, tasted like mop water. Again, this is especially annoying considering that the reason we had to go back to the restaurant each day is that we were advised not to leave the hotel premises at night, and also considering how overpriced the restaurant is, given the country and the expectation that part of the reason it's expensive is that you are supposed to be in a "premium" hotel.

- There were beers in the mini bar (not twistcaps), but no bottle opener in the room. This was annoying, but not tragic. I called the front desk to ask for one. It took them 20 minutes. When someone finally arrived, they had a wine opener. I explained I had actually asked for a bottle opener for beer. They apologized and said they would come back with one. 20 minutes later, they returned with the bottle opener, and asked to see the bottle. I told them I wanted to keep the opener. They said they couldn't do that. I said it was ridiculous to have to call every time I had to open a bottle, and wait 20 minutes for someone to come. He apologized and said that's just the way they had to do it, because they didn't have enough openers. He even suggested to open all my beers at once, right then, so that "they would be ready for whenever I wanted them over the next few days."

- There is a mall about 50 yards away from the hotel. My wife and I were going there to eat lunch and then would return to the hotel about an hour later to get the shuttle to the airport. Thus, we wanted to leave our bags downstairs, with the concierge, so that we wouldn't have to go back to the room to get them. We explained this to the concierge and he said "yes, we'll watch the bags." I asked him if he was going to lock them up somewhere. He said no. I tried to explain to him about the traditional system of putting a tag on the bag, giving me a ticket, putting the bag away, getting it later, etc. He said he understood, and then remembered that he did have these tags in his stand. He produced one, put the tag on the bag, and gave me a ticket. We left, assuming he would follow through. However, when we came back an hour later, the bag was exactly where we had left it, in the middle of the lobby entrance, unattended. Apparently they did not understand that we wanted the bag secured somewhere else -- they really thought all we wanted was to put the ticket on it and that this would "make it safe."

- My wife was flying in from the US to meet me at the hotel. She had called the hotel and set up their airport shuttle service (US$10) to pick her up. In the middle of the day, the driver called my room and told me that since my wife's flight was delayed, he couldn't pick her up anymore, as he had a conflicting pickup. I asked why he couldn't just send another driver, and he said he was the only one on duty. He then told me I should take a cab myself and go pick her up at the airport, as it wasn't his problem anymore. This is all especially disturbing because they obviously made no effort to contact my wife, and as she arrived late at night, not speaking a word of Spanish, had she not been met by someone (in this case me), she would have seriously panicked. A service like airport pickup is what one expects and is why one goes to "the top hotel" in a city like San Pedro Sula -- but clearly the IC is a massive rip-off.

Overall, the whole experience was bad enough that I checked out a day early and moved to the Clarion Hotel a few minutes away in the downtown area. It cost half the price, and though it's definitely not as "nice," it was at least passably functional.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Intercontinental Real Hotel, San Pedro Sula, Honduras
May 22 - May 25, 2009
N. Chardon
Miami, Fl.

Short story:

Taxi arrangements by the hotel to/ from airport/hotel major disaster, not organized!
Front desk staff not helpful, major customer service training needed!
Concierge services and suggestions not reliable!
On a three night stay no hot water twice!
I paid for an Intercontinental Hotel stay and got service equivalent to a 2 star hotel!
Will never! ever! stay there again! I was not the only one complaining. Next time I will choose a bed and breakfast based on experiences shared by other travelers.

Long Story:

Based on previous experiences and the company good reputation in other countries, I decided to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel while visiting San Pedro Sula, Honduras for the first time. I did previous arrangements with the hotel reservations office via e-mail for the transfer from the airport to the hotel since our flight arrived at midnight and I was advised about how dangerous taxis can be there. I was received and greeted by a non-English speaking taxi driver sent from the hotel my name was on the list and my travel partner was not included. I was very specific from the beginning via e-mail that two persons will be traveling . For some reason they added another name to the list. The other hotel guest was coming with a group of 10 persons and the taxi capacity was for maximum 3 persons. After complaining and half hour later finally we got permission to enter the taxi and go to the hotel.
Once at the hotel, the lobby was a little dark and no a/c!!! I was sweating while doing my check-in, I asked the front desk attendant and he was unable to respond to my question about the lobby a/c. Went to the room "nice, clean & comfortable bed" but, no hot water, I called and again, unable to answer questions.
Remember, first impressions last longer, and certainly this one was not the best.
Our flight back to Ft. Lauderdale was scheduled to leave at 1:00am so, we requested assistance from the Concierge to arrange the airport transportation from the hotel. The Concierge on duty confirmed verbally the transportation arrangement by 2:00 pm. At 10:50pm we went to the front desk and the Manager on Duty took care of us, we asked previously via telephone from our room if they could help us by contacting the airline to make sure there was no delays due to the time and distance to the airport. They told us there were unable to call but gave us a telephone number to call. We called 5 times and did not get answer from the airline that is why we decided to call and again, they said they were unable to help and all phone calls were charged.
Time for check-out came, went to the lobby, no Concierge available, asked the Manager on Duty (who did the check-out) about our taxi reservation and he immediately responded your taxi is waiting outside. We asked again in person to contact the airline and they refused. I asked about the taxi fair and the manager said $15.00 to go to the airport. I did have two $10.00 bills and asked for change to pay the taxi, and they did not have money to exchange (only Lempiras) and stated the taxi will have US Dollars to change.
We went out to the taxi and as we were getting in to the car another person came in and told us the taxi was not for us and that we must wait a while, the taxi supposedly was for another passenger and we were the only ones there. Time is precious specially when traveling, they started talking (driver and the other person) and we were standing outside waiting. I finally went inside and ask for the Manager on Duty, he came out and after 5 minutes of negotiations we were able to get into the same taxi and go to the airport.
Once at the airport the taxi driver charged us $20.00, we asked him to call the hotel and he refused and told us "If you do not pay what I say, I will call the police and I guarantee you will not leave tonight". Let me remind that the taxi service is a special one arranged by the hotel.
Bravo for the Intercontinental Real service! As a Priority Club member, I believe they should change the name of the hotel and do not damage the image or name of Intercontinental Hotels.

"I really do not think this is the real Intercontinental experience"

N. Chardon
Miami, FL

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank NChardon
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Typically I stay in other hotels in San Pedro Sula, but decided to give the Intercontinental hotel a try. The property is very nice and the people working there are very helpful. The very big negative about this property is the insulation between the rooms. Basically, the couple staying next to me was carrying on a conversation in a normal tone, and I could hear every word as if they were in the room with me. Unacceptable for a hotel in this price range!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2009

the hotel overall is very nice. nice gym, friendly staff. the only bad thing that happened is i had my video camera stolen out of my suitcase. i don't think it was the maid. what i think is the problem is that the doors don't latch all the way when you close them. i didn't notice this until later, but you need to make sure to close the door hard and then try to open it to make sure you can't get back in. any hotel guest or staff could have opened the door pretty easily and come in. since i was in a foreign country and in a hurry, i did not file a police report, all though i did report it to the receptionist and i spoke with the maid.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2009

the rooms and common areas at this hotel are very nice, as is the staff (especially the young doormen). however its so bland and characterless that if it wasn't for the palm trees out front, you could be in kansas city or des moines. breakfast is good and sandwiches etc. for lunch are fine but i'd avoid the tasteless dinners. this is not the kind of kitchen where the chef is big on flavour, it just looks good. ie. my "caribbean" fish soup tasted like the ingredients had just been put in a bowl with some stock and microwaved, completely bland and tasteless and why were frozen, new zealand mussels in a caribbean soup ?
if you're coming to honduras on business and don't like foreign places, stay here, its just like a hotel next to the airport in the u.s.a. but twice the price!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family