“Safe stay, safe neighbourhood, friendly staff”

Hilton Princess San Pedro Sula
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Seattle
“Safe stay, safe neighbourhood, friendly staff”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here twice within our travels to Honduras, at the beginning (1 night) and end of our visit (2 nights), with a trip to Roatan, Bay Islands in between.

What I liked about the hotel is the location, the service, and the amenities.
Location: within a few blocks walk (yes we walked!) there are some coffee shops, a really good and classy Peruvian restaurant, a grocery store (to snag some good Honduran coffee for the family back home) some fast food places, and a massive American-style shopping mall. It was also conveniently located in an area of town where the trip to the airport is about 20-25 min along an outer road of the city, and also close to the road to head to Copan Ruinas. Less than 5 minute drive via taxi (8-10 blocks) are a couple of really good Honduran restaurants that the Princess staff recommended.
Service: As mentioned, the staff had some good ideas on places to eat, called taxis for us, had the shuttle waiting at the airport and bright and early in the morning, and also recommended a private driver to take us to Copan Ruinas.
Amenities: Security guards (you get used to it - there are security guards at EVERY establishment), pool, nice grounds (weddings seem to be popular at the hotel), comfy bed, satellite tv (to keep you occupied if you've exhausted the site-seeing in SPS - which isn't much), wifi (at a small price), and toiletries.

We didn't use the restaurant, but could see that you could order drinks and sit on the patio by the pool. There is a small convenience store, and a jewelry shop also in the hotel. Didn't notice a mustiness like others have commented. There is A/C which worked well so you could make the room as humid or not as you wanted. There is also a business centre where you can print your boarding passes at no charge.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are only noisy with the window open. Rooms on the first floor can get the n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Virginia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night on our way to Roatan. Quite a distance from the airport (30 mins) drive but only safe, legitimate hotel area in SPS. Check in and service was great, very nice pool area and the food was very good (Honduran plate). Bar was also a great touch. We felt very safe at this hotel, which is located near a brand new mall and some American eateries. Also the free WIFI in the lobby and the bar area was a great touch. The rooms are of good standard and the staff was very accommodating. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank havingfunVirginia
Surrey, England
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night when visiting San Pedro Sula on business. The hotel is well located on the main ring road and has plenty of secure underground parking. Reception staff are friendly and efficient - as were all of the employees that we encountered. The hotel is of a good standard and is what you would expect from the Hilton brand. Our bedroom was comfortable and well equipped and our only complaint was that wi-fi is charged at $6 for 24 hours unless you are a member of Hilton Honors. We did not have dinner in the hotel but we did eat breakfast there. The buffet breakfast offers a wide choice and was of a good standard. Our room charge was less than $150 which we thought represented very good value for money. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The bedrooms overlooking the swimming pool are the quietest
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MET2
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I was warned about my safety, by everyone whom I came into contact with in the States about traveling alone through San Pedro Sula especially as a female... So as soon as I got off the plane on my overnight layover on the way to beautiful Roatan, I was on edge.

I booked my room directly with the hotel and had been in contact with their reservations department. My concerns were clearly my safety - that I needed a shuttle to pick me up from the airport, as well as needing a non-smoking room due to asthma and allergies. When I first received my confirmation email, it stated that I was going to have a Smoking room...a big No-No!
I emailed Hilton's central reservations department and received an expedient response - directly from the Hilton Princess ensuring me that they are 100% non-smoking property. I then proceeded to ask about the hotel shuttle picking me up from the airport. I was assured that someone will be there (extra charge, no big deal).

When I arrived at the airport, I was scanning for someone from the hotel in uniform (customary in the U.S.) but instead found a guy in a basic polo shirt holding a sign with the Hilton Princess. He spoke perfect English and told me that someone is on his way to come pick me up. Shortly after, a guy came and grabbed my bags and I was told to follow him on to the double parked Toyota unmarked pickup truck (Pre-Runner) - I was thinking to myself "Here we go!" :(. The guy introduced himself as the brother of the man who greeted me at the airport and he explained to me in very limited English that he works part-time on the weekends for his brother (who owns the business). It turned out that this man was super nice, good-hearted individual and works at a banana plantation outside of town. The 30-minute (online it says 7 miles but it's the longest 7 miles) drive to the hotel was "sketchy", passing quite a few military men armed with guns at random street corners (the driver explained that was normal) for our safety. We drove through downtown San Pedro's main street that led towards the base of a beautiful mountain range, where the hotel is located.

Upon arrival, there was another armed security guard at the front- (I always feel weirded out about seeing guns on the street but I understood its necessity). The check-in was seamless and professional. One has the option to either charge the shuttle fare to your room or pay the driver directly. The hotel room was immaculate and looked just like on the website- I looked out to one of the prettiest scenery I had seen in the
Caribbean.

I ate at the restaurant with outdoor seating, poolside and had my first traditional
Honduran plate consisting of churrasco, rice, red beans and white cheese. It was fresh and delicious! My server, although he didn't speak much English (I speak enough Spanish) was very sweet. The courtyard by the pool was well-kept and quaint, quiet with just the sound of the water fountain.

Once I was done, I locked myself up in the room- there was no way that I would've walked around San Pedro. Once you leave the hotel, you don't get the feeling that it would be safe to wander especially for a foreigner.

I requested for my airport shuttle to pick me up at 5:45 AM for my 8:30 flight to Roatan- they arrived promptly. I would much rather sit at an airport for hours than in my hotel room despite its comfort level.

For an airport hotel, considering where it is, I will gladly stay there again. Everything worked in my room: Internet, TV, bathroom and they had great toiletries! Nothing like staying in an American brand hotel outside of the U.S.!

• Stayed November 2012
NYC
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The best thing about this place is the knowledgeable staff - they were key in helping us out with places to eat, go out at night, etc.
Really nice and helpful.

The rooms were great; spacious, clean, everything worked.

the only negative (And reason it doesn't get 5 stars) is the lack of free wifi in the room... its 2012, you cannot be charging for wifi these days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ATG2008
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is about a 25 minute and $25 dollar cab ride from San Pedro Sula Airport. If you were picked up by the prearranged shuttle the fare is $10 per person. (warning...airport departure tax to be paid at airport to get out of Honduras is 37.81USD)

The hotel entrance is well guarded with armed security. There is no where to walk safely or eat off hotel. A cab would be required.

The entire hotel i dated and needs paint, clean carpets, etc. but rooms are clean and usual Hilton standard of neds an bedding.

A plus on the business package which provdes a 5th floor lounge and 2 free drinks and unlimited soft drinks and good hot appetizers from 5-8pm. This area is also the free breakfast area for the VIP floors and has scrambled eggs, meat, toast and hot and cold selections (no omelette station). Well worth the extra price.

The hotel bar looked good and we used the hotel restaurant with no complaints.

The hotel pool area was well appointed.

The prices were fairly steep but you pay for the security. This can be a dangerous city.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor (6th) on the even numbered side (600-608) is away from traffic and street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Belize
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for 5 days for a business trip and enjoyed the hotel. The rooms, restaurant and bar was very good. As well the staff was very friendly however was one evening disappointed with one of the restaurants they recommended to go to, specialized in seafood.
I definitely will stay back at the Hilton again when traveling to Honduras.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business