“Nice, free shuttles.”

Ranked #5 of 43 San Pedro Sula B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice, free shuttles.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I was picked up at the bus station for free and taken to the bnb. It was in a nice, secure area where I felt pretty safe. I even went for a walk alone at night with no trouble whatsoever (not to say that's recommended!!)
My room was nice, comfy double bed, working tv, aircon, shower with hot water and everything was clean.
There's a kitchen, nice sitting area with travel guides and free bottles of water you can then fill up from the fridge.
Not a complaint as its really my problem that I don't speak spanish but the staff on that night didnt speak a single word of English. Luckily I had my translator app.
I was given pancakes for breakfast which I was a bit disappointed with (not the actual pancakes, just that all the $6/night hostels I've stayed in provide free pancakes) but I've since read in here you can pick what you get for breakfast, I wasn't aware, communication error perhaps...
There's a nice little pool and a couple of big hammocks which is a nice touch.
I was also driven to the bus station the next day and dropped off at the entrance to buy my ticket. Driver is a lovely guy.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank gemwho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here on our first and last nights in Honduras and had two very different experiences with the rooms. The 4 star rating is really for the great customer service we received during both stays, as opposed to the actual accommodations.

We were flying in and out of San Pedro Sula at 2 am and given the cities dangerous reputation we wanted a good, safe place to stay upon arrival. La Posada arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport and we were pleased to find him waiting for us, despite the fact that our flight had been delayed. The transport was $20 USD instead of $15, due to the late hour, but it was well worth it. When we got to the hotel we were given room #4. We were only there for a few hours before catching a bus in the morning but I have to say the room was below expectations as it was a bit dirty, the bathroom was falling apart and there was no hot water for a shower. On the plus side, it did have air conditioning. In the morning we were pleasantly surprised by the back patio, which was much nicer than our room. There's a very small pool, some hammocks and a few tables for breakfast. They offered a typical Honduran breakfast with some of the best fresh melon juice we had during our trip.

The B&B then provided free transportation to the bus terminal, which was a nice perk especially given that the poor driver, Oscar, had just given us a ride a few hours ago at 2:30 in the morning! Oscar knows a little bit of English and was excellent at deciphering my broken Spanish. He gave us lots of info about the area and where to go/not to go. This was helpful since the staff at the B&B doesn't speak any English.

At the end of our trip we returned to La Posada for one night. This time we were given a different room. While still basic, it was clean, bigger, and in much better condition than our first room. The owner, Alex, stopped by while we there. He's completely fluent in English, which is definitely helpful for those who don't speak Spanish. Since we weren't flying out until 2 am the following night he let us store our bags after check out and invited us to hang out by the pools/hammock late at night, after returning from our day trip and before going to the airport. Given the dangerous reputation of the city this was a huge plus and it was nice to have a home base for that extra half day after we had checked out. This alone made it well worth it!

Room Tip: Avoid room 4
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chins01
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2013

La Posada is located in a safe area of San Pedro Sula where you can walk everywhere. We have stayed several times. Alex the owner and Osker the driver are very helpful. The staff let us choose our breakfast. The rooms were clean and had service every day. The small pool is clean and well maintained. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KanadianOnTheRoad
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We choose Posada after reading the many great reviews on Tripadvisor - and couldn't agree more. Alex, the owner, was exceptionally helpful (as was his driver Oscar). They will drop you off or pick you up from the bus terminal, all included in the service. I cannot recommend this hotel enough if you appreciate great value for money and friendly service in a nice quiet part of town. Oh - and the most comfortable beds in our trip to Honduras!

Room Tip: The first time we stayed we had a slightly dated room in the main building which was spacious and cl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Munich
Reviewed January 31, 2013

When travelling for a longer time, you tend to check our the cheap places that you find in all these different backpacking travel books. However, there are in fact hidden costs in cheap hostels. In San Pedro Sula they are mostly not in the best neighborhood. You need to call a taxi when going anywhere such as the next decent restaurant or the busstation or airport. (I am not talking about a cheap taxi ride of 2 or 3U$.)
The La Posada does not appear in the travelling books, which is actually a shame, since it is therefore not quite known in the travelling community. I highly recommend spending a little more money when travelling to San Pedro Sula. I was recommended to stay at the La Posada from a person who has been living in the city for quite some time. I stayed there for three nights over Christmas.
In La Posada you will get more for your money. Alex and his wife are wonderful people. They are fluent in English, and will call around for your and even drive you around if it fits into their own daily schedule. They are very open and will explain to you all about Honduras life if interested. Both of them helped us arranging and changing bus tickets and they were a great help for us to find out where to go next.
We also had to drive to one of the popular backpacker hostels to buy a Tica bus ticket, and I must say that I was in fact happy with my choice when I saw the hostel.
As soon as tow of the guests of the cheap hostel noticed that Alexes wife was a local and spoke Englisch fluently, they asked her where to go and what to do in San Pedro Sula. She was very helpful. Even though they were not even her guests, she took them in her car downtown to a safe area without wanting anything in return.
La Posada is in a residential area but in walking distance to a main road where there a lot of restaurants, shops, and a mall. (We even walked there at night in the dark and felt safe.)
They have a pool, hammocks, breakfast, TV in the rooms and if interested they have AC. The staff does spoke no english. But for us it was good so we could practice our spanish. I wish all the best for the La Posada.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Patty L
London, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have stayed in La Posada B&B several times on our way to the Bay Islands. Alex, the owner, has always took care of all the details of our stay and pick up and drop off to/from the airport. The rooms are basic but clean and quite large. Since San Pedro is a "transit" place to the Bay islands, it is nice to have a reliable and safe place to stay during our long trip. There is a mall a few blocks away where you can kill some time and eat. I travel with 3 children and this place is like a fair for them to go to. It has a huge ferris wheel inside the mall and other rides on the third level of the mall. The end of our trip is always a bit sad one and this place puts a twinkle in my kids eye once again before our return trip to Canada. Plus, it is a fraction of the price a similar establishment would cost me in Canada.
The women that help with La Posada when Alex is not there do not speak English. Generally, I find that hired help doesn't have much skills dealing with tourists. However, if you spare some tip, I find that usually these types of workers 'warm up " very quickly and will be very helpful. This is not just the case of La Posada, it is all over Honduras, because they work for such a low wage.
You can also take trips which are organized by La Posada to the Mayan pyramids and other places.
If you wish, they will also take you all the way to La Ceiba to the ferry.
Overall, it is a good experience and it is DEPENDABLE.
Did I mention they have a pool at La Posada?:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank katyazoom
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I travel to the Bay Islands, Utila, and Roatan at least once a year. I have stayed at La Posada several times. Transportation to and from the bus station is free and for a resonable cost to and from the airport. Transportation is reliable. La Posada is clean and walking distance to several restaurants and a very large Mall. I have always found the neighborhood to be safe, even in the evening. Alex is very helpful and the last time I was there (day before the election), we got into an interesting discussion about the upcoming election in the States. The price is right and I highly recommend La Posada for your stay in San Pedro Sula.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo