“A great day in the jungle”

Pico Bonito National Park
Port Perry, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A great day in the jungle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Pico Bonito Adventures is run by a local couple on Roatan, Angel and Angelica. He`s from Honduras, she`s from Michigan. ( picobonitoadventures.com ) They pick you up in the morning at your hotel from the 7am ferry ride to La Ceiba. The trip takes about 90 minutes give or take. We were met on the mainland buy the Jungle River Lodge jeep and taken on a 45 minute trip up the mountain to the lodge located on the Cangrejal River. The staff prepared a hearty breakfast for us before setting out up river to start our rafting. Angel and Dawin gave us instructions and safety pointers before setting out down river. Even though the there hadn`t been a lot of rain, shooting the rapids was an amazing experience. About halfway along the river we stopped for a swim, had some fresh fruit and drinks and then continued our trip. At the end of the rapids, the yellow jeep was waiting to take us back up to the lodge for some relaxation time, a drink at the bar and a short nap in the hammock. The staff had a BBQ chicken lunch for us that was soooo good before we left for our return ferry ride to Roatan. The seas were much rougher on the return trip, but the new ferry they use now had no problems. It`s a catamaran and I understand that its much smoother in heavy seas than the old `vomit comet`` that has been retired.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank LarryEmm

Dallas, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Pristine National Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

Pico Bonito is certainly a great place to visit while in Honduras (or Central America, for that matter).

Some of the trails for exploring the park are off-limits to non-guests of The Pico Bonito Lodge, but there are still ways to enjoy the park.

I entered through the Rio Zacate trail that can be reached by going on a dirt road past El Pino. I got there the earliest I could, and was able to explore on my own. The park is teeming with colorful birds, but I also caught sight of beautiful frogs, lizards, and also a snake (which I didn't get too close to because it resembled a viper). I also saw some nutria, but they quickly retreated to a pool along the trail. After some time, I also saw some monkeys and white-nosed coatis foraging in parts of the rainforest.

I took a night tour ($30) during my one stay at The Pico Bonito, and it was amazing (caught sight of tree frogs, colorful invertebrates, and a few kinkajous), so if there's a reason to stay at the lodge, the tours based in the actual park are a must.

Pico Bonito is one of many amazing natural areas in Honduras, and I highly recommend that you try to explore parts of it.

8 Thank Rulti
La Ceiba, Honduras
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rio Cangrejal Experiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

We hiked up the water fall, there are many swimming holes to enjoy. Did not see that many birds but we could hear them up in the canopy. We got super photos off the new suspention bridge that is the entrance to the park.
Also a must do in this area is the white water rafting! The water is warm so getting wet is just more fun.
People in the local villages were very nice and helpful.

5 Thank Jinix