“A Perfect Vacation!”
Review of Diving Pelican Inn

Diving Pelican Inn
Ranked #9 of 35 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We went to Roatan for our honeymoon, and decided to begin our trip with two nights in La Ceiba relaxing at the Diving Pelican Inn. We found this place thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor, and made just the right choice. We were totally exhausted after our wedding, and the Diving Pelican Inn was just the right place to chill out and recuperate for a few days. There was an amazing palapa (covered patio) with beers and juices available on the honor system and the most comfortable hammocks you have ever experienced in your entire life. There is also a beautiful quiet beach outside, with the occasional herd of cows wandering by occasionally (yes, I'm serious). Sooo relaxing. Jim and Cathryn can set up some cool expeditions, but we thought that the highlight of this place was just being right there. We didn't want to leave.

Our room was very comfortable, with a great selection of movies and a soft and comfortable bed. It was very clean. And we loved the breakfast that Jim prepared for us each morning, full of hearty eggs and fresh fruit. Jim can arrange pickups and dropoffs at the San Pedro Sula airport and the Roatan ferry dock. There is a fabulous restaurant, Paradise Found, right at the end of the beach.

I am a former Peace Corps Volunteer, and the whole time, I kept thinking that I wished someplace like this had been in the country where I did Peace Corps. It was an affordable and fun way to get a little bit of pampering and relaxation. So, if you are in the Peace Corps Honduras, get thee to the Diving Pelican Inn!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chaichaitea

Reviewed August 27, 2009

We recently made our first visit to Honduras and stayed in the beautiful coastal city of La Ceiba. We had researched several places in the area to stay during our adventure in Honduras (via Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet) and decided to book our reservation with Diving Pelican Inn which was located in Samba Creek.

The owners, Jim and Cathryn, were wonderful from our frist initial e-mail contact to our final farewell. We had originally planned on staying for only one night but felt so at home and comfortable that we extended our stay for two additional nights. The establishment itself was a complete oasis! We had a beautiful oceanfront room that was clean, well-maintained, beautiful decor and safe! The Barefoot Saloon was fully stocked with bevies, two comfortable hammocks and even an additional restroom to use while you were outside. We were even greeted and kept company by the loveable, Baxter, who's hugs and kisses were enough for any dog lover's heart to melt! From taking care of our transportation needs (Thank you Luis) to helping in any way they could...Jim, Cathryn and Baxter made us feel like we were home!

We would recommend Diving Pelican to anyone who was looking for a safe, convenient and charming place to stay while visiting the coast of Honduras. Jim and Cathryn's warmth and accomodating nature made our stay one of the highlights of our visit to tropical paradise. We look forward to visiting them again in the future!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kerouac76
Reviewed August 5, 2009

What a delightful experience. A beautiful beach right outside the gate, great food, and a couple of Texans who really care about their quests. It was nice to have someone knowledgeable about this area of Honduras to steer us in the right direction as far as what to do, who can transport us places and where the best food could be found. Cathryn arranged everything from whitewater rafting to finding us a gorgeous place to stay in Utila. I would highly recommend the Diving Pelican B&B for anyone looking for a great place to stay while exploring Honduras.

1  Thank RSP45
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My friends and I traveled to Honduras despite a recent military coup and warnings from the American State Department to defer "all non-essential travel" to this "troubled," country. We remaimed in almost daily contact (via email) with our host Cathryn the week before we came - it was all she said it would be. The violent protests and clashes with police are occuring 10 - 12 hours from where La Ceiba is located. There were nightly curfews and on occasion protesters blocked bridges in and around the La Ceiba area. However, the part of Honduras that our hosts introduced us to was completely safe and trouble free! I would not hesistate to return despite what the news report are saying back home in the USA.

I was somewhat surprised to find the Honduran nationals less engaged in following the political events than the extensive network of Americans living in Honduras whom I met. It appears that those Hondurans who live in poverty are more concerned about the essentials of life (food, clothing & shelter) than taking sides in what has become a closely followed international crisis. In addition, I did not meet any Americans, nor any Honduran nationals that supported the return of the exiled President.

Jim and Cathryn have a wonderful home! While staying at their B & B it felt more visiting family and close friends rather than being someone who "just rented a room." Jim and Cathryn have connections with other Americans and Honduran nationals all around the country which made for less hassles and "gringo" prices. It was also reassuring to know that Jim and Cathryn had made it their mission to see to it that we had a safe and troublefree time in Honduras.

I miss their dog Baxter and my new friends JIm and Cathryn Flemming in Honduras. Thanks for allowing us as guests in your Bed & Breakfast + taking care of us while we visited the week of July 19 -26.

1  Thank Tom W
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We planned our trip before the political unrest in Honduras began. We had some hestation to go, but stayed in contact with our hostess (Cathryn). She kep[ us advised of the situation and let us know that the area we were coming to was safe and basically unaffected. We decided to stick with our orginal plans, even though the reports CNN were giving could have discouraged us from traveling to Honduras. Cathryn was absolutely right! The country was beautiful, the people were extremely friendly, and we were perfectly safe. Cathryn and her husband, Jim have a great place and a great location. It has the comforts Americans are used to, and Cathryn and Jim have a wealth of information and contacts in the area, to help with anything from eating establishments, taxi service, to white water rafting. I highly recommend contacting them about information or concerns for that region of Honduras.

2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I travel for work. I travel too much and do not like it anymore. I have become an expert on staying in Central America: In Nicaragua, I have stayed in 3 hotels and a rented house in Managua, 1 hotel in Chinandega and one in Granada. In Honduras, I have stayed in 1 hotel in Saba, 2 in San Pedro Sula, 1 within the La Ceiba downtown area, and 2 in Sambo Creek, which is essentially in La Ceiba, but not in the center.

I like things to be clean. This is so hard to find in hotels in Honduras. Having traveled to the places I list above, I now take the following things on every trip: towels, a mug, instant coffee, a spoon, Luna bars and other food, a water purification bottle (so I can safely drink the tap water) and a military zip-up jungle hammock (so bugs cannot be on me while I sleep) which I bring complete with its own sheet, pillow, pillow case and spare pillow case... The pillow thing is not just an issue of cleanliness. The pillows down there are usually like a bag of shoes. Seriously, I am not a snobby person. The bed situation and the hotel situation down there can just make a person sad. In the rented house in Managua (in a very nice neighborhood, by the way), I had a mattress and pillow that looked like they were supposed to have been burned in the plague.

Okay – then, everything changed when I moved to the Diving Pelican Inn. I stayed for over a week and I cannot even put it into words. Normally, when I travel for work, I work all day then I go back to a hotel room which is just as bad at being at work (or worse).

I love the Diving Pelican Inn. I love it. I actually slept in the bed – which is a big deal for me – and the bed is fantastic. They brought the mattresses from the states. Cathryn said that it is impossible to find good ones down there to buy. I have never mattress shopped in Honduras, but I have certainly slept (in my hammock) on some terrible mattresses. And the sheets at Diving Pelican are so very nice. I did not need any of the stuff that I always bring to use as my food and shelter (listed above). They have cups, coffee, sheets, towels, etc – all that are clean and nice. If you have not traveled down here, you have no idea how amazing this is. And frankly, the bedding at Pelican is even better than almost any place I have ever stayed in any country – including the states.

This is important – when you look into hotels down here – if the amenities list does not include hot water (for showers), the room does not have it. Same goes for AC. And in some rooms, there is AC but the kind that can be either on or off. When I stay in these places I wake up around 3 in the morning either frozen and miserable or sweaty and miserable. AC with a thermostat is hard to find. And forget about other stuff – like coffee pots. But they actually do have all that in-room at the Diving Pelican - and with good coffee, cups, the whole thing. Oh – and purified water abundant (no need to purify your own).

The last morning that I woke up at this gem of an inn, the first thing I thought was that I was actually bummed to leave. This is shocking for two reasons – 1- generally the only thought that crosses my mind when I wake is “coffee” and 2 – I always want to go home. It was hard to leave this other “home”

Generally, staying in Nicaragua and Honduras, I have stayed in places that are bad and have been lucky enough to stay in a few places that are less bad.
The Diving Pelican Inn is actually great. So great. I actually relaxed there after work and was really glad to be either down on the patio drinking a beer out of the fridge or in my beautiful room. The patio is great and is even better when Baxter comes down to join the people. He is such a good dog.

Staying here is more like staying in a private suite in the house of a friend or family member. The room has good coffee (for which they do not charge), the bathroom has mosquito repellant, sunblock, etc – whatever they could think of that you might need.
It could not be more perfect.

They are only able to take credit card payments by way of a paypal charge, but don’t worry – you don’t have to have a paypal account. All you need is a credit card. It is easy and they can help if you need it.

In my personal life, I travel to Mexico because I love it. Of all of the hotels in Mexico, Nicaragua and Honduras, no place has ever come close to the Diving Pelican Inn. If I were to compare this place to other hotels in the states and the UK, it is super great. But if you have traveled in Central America and can compare this place to other Central American options, only then will you understand that it is not just good; it is some kind of a miracle.

If you will be any where near the La Ceiba area, stay here.
-----------------

They offer really good breakfast. Maybe lunch sometimes? and there is a pool very nearby that you can use.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JaneMercury
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We stayed five nights at the diving pelican inn.

The room itself was good -- great bed & linens, bathroom was adequate and the tv/dvd player (with their extensive library of movies) was great when staying in.

Outside was amazing! We enjoyed relaxing in the "barefoot saloon". The hammocks were comfy and the sounds of the waves relaxing. It was windy during our stay so the ocean was a little rough (but fun for playing), and the sand was flying a bit in the breeze so we didn't hang out a lot on the beach.

Breakfast prepared by Jim was a real treat and their dog Baxter was so friendly and nice to hang out with. We ate lunch away from the area (as we did an excursion each day) but we didn't venture far for dinner. We found the food at nearby Helen's good and the service outstanding.

The best thing to me was the level of service Jim & Kathryn provided. From booking transportation, to arranging excursions, recommending restaurants & even providing home remedies for minor illness -- they were great!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple