“Amazing time, but no toucans :(”

Casa Cangrejal B&B Hotel
Ranked #3 of 35 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had a great time, and enjoyed the biking and white water rafting, but sadly did not see any toucans. Would definitely come back to stay with Karen. Have fun!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I rarely write travel reviews unless there is truly something special to write about. Yes I could be considered a bit jaded, but after decades of travel to some very exotic locations I believe I have found a rare travellers gem.

Nestled in the jungle along side of Pico Bonito national forest you will find Casa Cangrejal Bed and Breakfast. This luxury retreat is the perfect outpost to spend your days either relaxing in spectacular surroundings or challenging yourself to an adrenaline fuelled adventure. Either way the stress you've built up in your everyday life will be a memory shortly after arriving.

The main home has a number of very well appointed rooms; the furnishings, linens, and decorative finishings will provide you with the comfort one expects from a high-end hotel, but with a much lower price tag. The surrounding jungle and small natural water pools are quite impressive and offer you the chance to view exotic birds such as Toucans while you enjoy a superbly prepared breakfast.

There are also homes for rent if you require more room, we opted for a very large two bedroom, two bath luxury villa a short stroll away. The home was gorgeous and was made out of the same river stone material as the main Bed and Breakfast; once again well appointed with very fine furnishings and a fully functional kitchen. The interior of the home is quite amazing, but the large treetop patio offers a stunning view of the Pico Bonito mountains. We spent a fair bit of time out on the patio to say the least, but as comfortable as it may be, get out and enjoy the surroundings. Its not everyday that one can walk out of their vacation retreat and start out on a hike up the surrounding mountainside to find stunning vistas and more Toucans. The area behind the property has an extensive trail system which is well marked and ready for exploration.

The hosts, Karen and Alex, are wonderful and will help you plan your days adventure be it whitewater rafting, hiking in the jungle, horseback riding, or bird watching. I cant think of more friendly and helpful proprietors, they make sure your vacation is memorable. It should also be noted that Karen is very skilled in the kitchen and provides you with a very tasty breakfast to start your day. They have been dabbling in providing main meals in the evening, all that I have sampled are sumptuous and very well prepared. Karen is joined in preparing the evening meals by another culinary star named Meg. Meg also provides evening entertainment in form of a fire show. Its a great show that takes a lot of skill so don't miss it.

A further stroll down the road will bring you to another lodge with a focus towards the adventurous spirit. The lodge is owned and run by a fantastic eco minded couple, Udo and Sylvia, who offer the numerous activities that make area so special. They provide a traveler with many memorable adventures, but their specialty is whitewater rafting and kayaking. The guides they employ are all professional rafters that have high standards of safety. The rafting is a blast to say the least, Sonny and Nash, thank you for the great afternoon on the river.

You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Going to LaCeiba? You gotta check out this jewel in the jungle. Great people that operate this B&B. Karen and Alex have a first class jungle retreat. The breakfast are awesome. I love there banana nut pancakes with bacon chunks and real maple syrup. Yum! This is the place for me when staying in the jungle. Karen you are the best. Thanks

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome. I like the private cabin myself but the room overlooking the ponds and wa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2012

If you don’t like a warm and friendly welcome; if you don’t like clean, comfortable and luxurious bedding; if you don’t like the best breakfasts in Honduras, then you really should avoid this place. Nestled between Pico Bonito mountain ranges is this fabulous B&B. Your hosts Karen & Alex with their puppies and kitties are as helpful as one can expect. They will be happy to direct you to this region’s most popular activities, from hiking and rafting to bird watching and quiet times by a babbling brook. This is one place I’ll surely visit again and again. Feel free to browse my favourite Honduras moments: http://traveler-sly.smugmug.com/Honduras/Honduras-2012/21679171_zRwLhK

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I loved everything about Casa Cangrejal:

-Amazing, stone house. Just beautiful.
-Excellent, immaculate rooms with great ambience, comfy beds and attention to the finer details (linens, toiletries)
-Incredible location: cool outdoor chillout spots with hammocks, beautiful natural grounds and water holes, hiking trails. Also close to other hiking trails (Pico Bonito Park and the Guaruma trails further up the mountain, can walk there)
-Big, delicious, breakfasts, coffee and juices served in the open air dining area
-Friendly and helpful hosts

Casa Cangrejal blends rustic and luxury to a perfect combination. We enjoyed the uniqueness and comfort of the room so much it was a little hard to leave during the day to explore the amazing nature just outside!

As it is only a short walk to Omega Tours, it is convenient to eat lunch/dinner at the restaurant there, which is not bad and has a big menu.

The only small hiccup was an apparent miscommunication between the b&b and the taxi transport that was arranged for us to return to la ceiba - we shared the ride with two other guests and were quoted a price for the trip that was lower than what the driver had understood and was expecting, which made the driver a bit confused/frustrated and we felt bad on his behalf.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed in the ground floor one bedroom apartment that Karen from Casa Cangrejal rents out,, it is right next to a little farm and is very picturesque. It was perfect for us as we are a young couple that prefers to have our own space and the option to cook our own meals.
The apartment was beautiful and one of the prettiest places we have ever stayed. It was both rustic and immaculate and each room was more than ample for our needs. All the mod cons including a fully functioning kitchen with a huge cooker, fridge freezer and all the other bits and pieces you need. The shower was lovely with some much needed hot water and the bedroom was very comfortable and cool with the very efficient ceiling fan.
As for the setting...what can I say! It's paradise. You have some really lovely hiking routes right on the doorstep and right outside the window is a first class view of the mountain. You can book all sorts of exciting trips including horse riding and rafting, you will never be short of anything to do!

All in all, I must say this has been one of the friendliest, most comfortable places I have ever stayed and would fully recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The apartment is the perfect for those that want a little piece and quiet and to get away from it al...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I am a business owner living in the Bay Islands and recently treated myself to a getaway to the mainland for some much needed R&R. A friend and I were aching to get to the mountains where the air is cooler, the river is near and where nature is lush. Casa Congrejal came at the recommendation of a friend living on mainland Honduras. I had no idea what to expect as we booked at the 11th hour, I was not near a computer and had no visual or website page. After a bumpy ride up the mountain (I always love adventure) we were dropped off in front of some large gates and walked up a short hill to the Casa. It is absolutely beautiful. Almost entirely made of stone (Im assuming Cangrejal river rock) and beautifully decorated, it reminded me in some ways of a warm castle with a modern twist. Karen (the owner) has a fine eye for design. Every where I looked there were intricate details of something cool that caused me to stop and admire. The atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for, completely opposite of the island life I live. We wandered down to the river, had dinner at the Omega Lodge (right down the way) and returned later to the Casa for drinks with other guests (and Karen ... she's a trip and fun to share stories with) while shooting pool and hanging at the open air, covered patio. I slept totally uninterrupted with the cool mountain air. Living in Honduras I always hear about Pico Bonito Lodge and how nice it is, and how we should go there. My suggestion, try Casa Cangrejal, it is eloquently appointed with high end furnishings without the high price tag. I will be back, I now have my mountain oasis where I can go to rejuvenate.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Palma Real Beach Resort & Villas
Villas Pico Bonito
Villas Pico Bonito
#1 of 19 in La Ceiba

Been to Casa Cangrejal B&B Hotel? Share your experiences!