“Decent rafting but you're better off staying in town”
Review of Jungle River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Ceiba
Jungle River Lodge
Seongnam
“Decent rafting but you're better off staying in town”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

the rafting trip was decent here. Although they really should let tourists know about the hike to the starting point...people who are not good swimmers may find it difficult...rafting was great with good guides...my problem was with the room...I can't complain too much since it was free with the rafting but it was still one of the worst rooms I ever spent a night in...who knows when the sheets were changed or washed last...shower was just a pvc pipe sticking out of the wall...got eaten alive by bed bugs...dinner was decent for the 8 dollars but the breakfast for 6 bucks was overpriced for eggs, piece of sausage, and a piece of avocado...restaurant area is a nice place to chill with decent priced beers...everything about the place is okay...all in all, rafting, room, breakfast, dinner, and 3 beers cost just over 60 bucks...so pretty good value...just don't spend a night there...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank thelonious22

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I read all the good rafting comments and am glad folks had a good experience, but I would never raft with them myself, as there have been two deaths on their rafting trips in the past five years or so.

That said, I love the riverside setting of the lodge, and went by to have a meal there. No food was available whatsoever, despite it being lunchtime. They could only offer us beans and tortillas, and while in general I like beans and tortillas, I was hoping for some more choice. We decided just to have fresh juice. It took a while but was tasty.

I took a look at the rooms, and they seem overpriced to me. There are much better options along the Rio Cangrejal.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these La Ceiba hotels

Papeete
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Wanted to stay in the park and heard about this place. I went up from La Ceiba for an organised walk to find myself also doing a zipline! Lucky I had no problem with this as it was very unexpected. It turned out to be the best zipline I have ever done. The security aspects were very good. The walk was average tho. I enjoyed the quiet there and decided to go and stay a night. Getting there was easy as there is free transport from the backpackers in La Ceiba. Getting out of the lodge is not as easy if you have an early bus connection in town. The free transport back to town does not go until 12pm. So you are left with a bus (that never came for me) or an expensive taxi ride (hitching? No one stopped for me and lots of car did go by). Food was good but the room was pretty basic. Not very clean and ants...The staff were excellent and made it special. Despite all of this, I would go back! The setting is really magic.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Othello WA
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Wanted to do the river rafting and so I stayed the night at their hostel Banana Republic Guesthouse. Next morning I got a ride up a dirt road alongside the Cangrejal river. Arrived and met a young woman who had done the rafting the previous day. She told me she had been the only guest the previous night. Then 6 other people showed up for the rafting and we were off up the road to put the rafts in. We practiced floating the rapids sans raft and rescue with a thrown rope. The rafting was fun with a break half way through where we stopped at the lodge for some fresh fruit and a drink. Then off to more rafting. Cost $40 with a night at the lodge (in the dorm) or $12 off teh cost of a room. I opted for a private room. But I was the only one who stayed. It was very strange being the only guest, creepy even... I went to lay down in my room and it started pouring buckets. The the ants came. I realized I was being bitten by scores of red ants they were every where in my room. I figure the rain caused them to evacuate their home and come into mine.. I was moved to a different room. The next day I couldn't leave fast enough. This place has definitely seen better days. It was damp and I was so cold with only a sheet on the bed that I covered myself with towels. The people were nice especially the 2 rafting guides Darwin and Oscar. They gave me a ride down the next day. I would go back for the rafting but not stay there again.

Room Tip: none of the rooms have hot water. One room has it's own shower but...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We organised to stay just one night having taken the ferry from placencia to puerto Cortes in October. At the time of reserving our double room with bathroom and one dorm space for the three of us, they asked us to confirm again one week in advance. I told then that as we were travelling from Xmas day I could not guarantee to do so and asked if they would mind if I confirmed just before Xmas. They agreed and I did so. Upon arrival they did not have our booking in the brown book and had to be put in a four bed dorm. They were not apologetic, we had to fight for a discount, the bathroom was awful, the sheets dirty and it was a far cry from what our expectations had been. We were only away three weeks and so had planned and booked all accommodations in advance. We were a couple and two friends and were not expecting luxury or anything but all of us were disappointed and very glad to be staying only one night. P.s The doors were non existent on some dorms ( they were in a corridor).

• Stayed January 2011
Boston
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Rooms were crawling with bugs, dirty sheets, and no towels. Omega Lodge is up the road and awesome. Even for the discount on their tours, it's nowhere near worth it. Stay away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
Reviewed September 16, 2010

We read lots of good reviews about the Jungle Lodge, but when we arrived, the staff seemed pretty uninterested with helping us. They showed us around 3 private rooms with private baths. All three rooms were crawling with bugs and insects, there are no fans in any of the rooms, there is no hot water (not that I would even want to shower in there anyway as it was too dirty), the beds and pillows were moist and mouldy, the sinks were falling off the walls and the toilets had not been cleaned. Out of politeness we opted for one room, but after being in there for 5 mins we decided that there is no way either of us would be able to get any sleep, too hot, stuffy, smelly and damp with no fan! So we went down the road to Pico Bonito Jungle Eco Resort and paid a bit more money but were much happier.

However, having said all of these bad things about Jungle River, we did do our Rating and Zip lining tours with them and the tours I must say were absolutely fantastic and the staff afterall were really cool, nice people. We had alot of fun on the tours and the actual location of the Jungle Lodge is 100% awesome. Guys you really just need to sort out the rooms in this place and it's a winner!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends