“Took good care of me.”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in La Ceiba
Michigan
“Took good care of me.”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

As a solo woman traveler I felt that the staff at Gran Hotel Paris took good care of me. I was there August 7 - 10, 2009. The political climate is a bit tense of late so I chose GHP since it is centrally located. This was my second stay at the hotel in the last couple of years. I walked around town without incident. I particularly like this hotel's location since I can walk to the Standard Fruit Company park with the bronze animals and the trains. Also, it is easy to go to the Paiz supermarket for some items. The breakfast at the hotel is great, especially the french toast and the O.J. Free internet at the computer in the lobby with a fast connection. Helpful front desk staff too. I'll return again when I visit La Ceiba.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank trueann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Surrey
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed in this hotel a couple of times on our way to and from Roatan.
Our experience is just the opposite of Cassiewithbag's - we spent one night at the Quinta Real but moved into town as we found that hotel too far from the centre.
Though the outside is drab and dated, the rooms are comfortable, clean and adequate, good value we thought. Lots of building work was going on during the day but as we were out on trips we didn't find this a problem.
There's a great coffee shop next door which serves the best coffee we had in all of the Americas, including Seattle!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dover, Ohio
Reviewed May 24, 2009

For the past five years, my husband and I have traveled to Honduras for the purpose of serving the people of a remote area of La Mosquitia, and we've always stayed at the Gran Hotel Paris on our way in and out of our mission. (2 nights on our way in and then 4 nights on our way back out for some vacation time this year.) We love the location in the heart of La Ceiba (complete with nearby shopping for anything you might need), we love the friendly staff (many of whom speak English quite well), and we love the clean comfortable rooms. The only reason I don't give it 5-stars is because it is not a fancy place. The furniture, draperies, paint, etc... show their age, so some people would probably find it "rundown". However, we've always found the beds to be comfortable and all the amenities (ie, air conditioning, tv, electricity, hot or at least warm showers, the pool and restaurant, etc...) to be running in good order, especially by Honduran standards!

The rate is very reasonable, and we've found it to be a great place to expand our connections not only to the missionary world as so many groups use the hotel for home base for their work, but also to a fair amount of the local ex-pats community who are always friendly and helpful with suggestions about things to do and see in the area.

One caveat...right now, they appear to be expanding the hotel along the backside of the pool area, so there is a fair amount of construction noise starting early in the morning. It didn't bother us at all as our room faced the front of the building and we're early risers anyway, but light sleepers or folks looking to sleep in may not want to take a room facing the pool area until the construction is completed.

We just got home yesterday, but we're already looking forward to next year's stay at the Gran Hotel Paris!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New Denver, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2009

After reading some of the reviews we were very hesitant to stay at the Gran Paris. Our initial hotel didn't work out, so we took half a day and checked out several other hotels. This hotel gave us the best bang for our buck. For a nominal fee we had a fridge brought in, and staff provided us with some dishes so we were able to eat breakfast in the room. Our room overlooked the pool, and a terrace ran along the outside of the room which allowed us to sit outside. The pool was a very good size and virtually empty. Things got quite noisy at the open-air bar, but by 10:30 P.M. staff shut everything down so it was quiet for sleeping. The location is good, right downtown across from the park. It is only about a 20 minute walk to the mall, and the beach and restaurants are only a few blocks away. We were able to walk everywhere. Staff was very helpful. Wireless internet is available. We spent 4 months travelling through Central and South America, and for the price this hotel was as good as any we stayed at.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Francisco Morazan
Reviewed April 13, 2009

2 stars hotel, very good location.
Lousy parking lot, I waited 1 hour and a half to rescue my car . You can park next to the sidewalk infront of the hotel but, at least 3 vehicles that I know of including mine were burglarized, each of them had a window broken. Hotel security I suspect, are involved since they know the thieves and the hotel management does not do anything about it. Hotel staff and manager don`t care about your problem and they do not advise customers about the unsafety of the hotel surroundings.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Costa Rica / Alaska
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This hotel is a dump! We arrived late at night and were put in the old section. The airconditioner was the oldest one I have ever seen and was filthy. We suffocated because I was afraid to turn it on as it was moldy. Luckily we had to leave at 5 am but we slept with our clothes on and dropped the dirty bedspread on the floor and slept on the top sheet. Huge cock roaches in the room as well. They did bring us a bottle of water on the house as you CANNOT drink the water even to bruch your teeth. We did not use the shower either as it was pretty dirty. Armed guard out front was very nice however!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hooksetter

Travelers are raving about these La Ceiba hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Gran Hotel Paris a decent choice for a short stay in LeCeiba. However I do not any experiences with other hotels in the area for comparison. We booked this place for an over night stay heading to Roatan.

From the airport, it is a 15 min Taxi ride depending on traffic. Paid $15 USD for 2 people. Check in and check out was hassel free, we asked for a 2 double bed room and got one with an attached living room (???) facing the main street. Room was huge and clean. Nothing fancy, pretty basic. Beds were comfortable, everything seemed to work; A/C, TV and lights. Washroom/shower was clean and decent, no key to safety deposit box, but we didn't ask for one. Front desk staff seemed nice and friendly. There is an armed guard at the hotel probably necessary for safety of the staff and guests. Our room 201 faces a large park out front. We paid in cash $77 USD for the one night.

There's restaurant service through the bar by the pool, and a restaurant by the pool. Local beer costs 2 USD. Didn't try the food there. Overall we have no complaints about the service, hotel and ammenities.

This is the website, http://www.granhotelparishn.com/, I couldn't find this site searching the internet, the hotel staff sent this to me on my email inquiry. I had prebooked a room (which does not appear you need to, you can just show up) they sent an email confirmation, required no credit card information.

Additional info.
Right beside the hotel is a small internet cafe also offering Long D phone service. Made a short phone call home to Canada which costs less than 1 USD. At the end of the block you will find a Pizza Hut, where we had dinner. We asked the waiter Oscar of where we can possibly take a walk, his recommendation is that we didn't go far or stay out late as it is dangerous. Next morning we took a taxi to the Ferry terminal, about a 20 - 25 min ride. $15 USD. We sat in first class, ride is about 1.5 hrs. Each person was given a plastic bag before the ferry started. I didn't really understand why at first. But about 10 mins into the ride we found out. It's a extremely choppy ride out. I don't suffer from motion sickness, but I felt sporadic fear. It was more of a roller coster feeling which was like that pretty much the whole ride.

Happy Travels