All reviewsthe looppico bonitonight hikecuero y saladobutterfly farmbird watchingbird guidethe rivergreat potoospa treatmentsnature loversrestaurant staffhowler monkeysgrounds are gorgeousflora and faunamayan ruinsbirding tour
Reviewed March 26, 2016

As North Americans living in San Pedro Sula, we have frequently made the 2 and one half hour drive from the city to the beautiful lodge at Pico Bonito to enjoy the restaurant and a respite from the busy city life. It's well worth the drive to sample the outstanding food and tranquil atmosphere of the beautiful Lodge at Pico Bonito. Recently, we were finally able to break away for a three night stay at the Lodge and it was everything we hoped it would be. The cabins are blissfully situated in the midst of the Honduras Rain Forest. With screened and wood louvered windows you'll enjoy the sounds of the rainforest as you drift off to sleep and awaken each morning. The fans keep the lodge at a pleasant temperature. An early morning hike throughout the many trails will invigorate you for the day and we saw flocks of parrots from the look out station as well as many other varieties of birds. It's a bird watchers paradise for sure. Bring your binoculars. The pool is delightful especially during the afternoon heat. You can also take a dip in the cooling waters of the nearby river, the water is essentially crystal clear. You'll find you share the forest with an abundance of wildlife and forest creatures. I can't even count how many reptile species we saw mostly tiny to small, but some quite large. We especially enjoyed the ones who get up and run on their back legs. Wish we had more knowledge to share their exact description, but very interesting to watch. The beds are high quality and comfortable. The lodge is cleaned daily by the very accommodating staff members. We felt so welcomed and pampered throughout our stay. Remember you are in the middle of a thick forest. Expect the bugs to make an occasional appearance. Be sure to bring and use your mosquito repellent. Totally delightful! Even after we return home to the States we will be certain to return from time to time to enjoy the beautiful of this slice of Heaven in Honduras.

Room Tip: All cottages appeared to be excellent, we were actually quite close to the restaurant but do not remember our room number.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2016

Hello friends!

Thank you for your delightful comments! It is our duty to make sure you as our privileged guests have a great time while you stay with us, so that you can come back and tell all your friends about us.

So please, do come back and we will be glad to have you in our little piece of paradise.

Reviewed March 23, 2016 via mobile

Once again I visited the Pico Bonito Lodge in La Ceiba.
This time I went from La Ceiba on a Sunday to enjoy a nice late breakfast at 10 am along with 3 other members of my family. We all enjoyed our food choices I had the most wonderful egg benedict, cooked to perfection and two other members in my party had the french toast which looked very special and I was told that were exquisite. It is always worth the drive from La Ceiba to enjoybtjeir food as eell as the service there. Oh do not let me compliment the mimosa with whicj we accompanoed our breakfast made with freshly squeezed orange juice from the premises. I recommend their Restaurant.
We toured their newly opened spa, which I will be reviewing as soon as I try their treatments!

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family

Hello Friends!

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are delighted to know you had a great meal at our restaurant.

Please do visit more often and we will be glad to have you!

Reviewed March 23, 2016

The good: The staff is outstanding. Everyone is friendly and they all do their best to ensure you have a wonderful vacation. This includes the reception desk, the restaurant staff, the driver, the guide who was exceptional, everyone! We booked all our tours when we made our reservation and there was just the two of us and the outstanding guide,German. This is a rain forest and if you want to see birds you definitely need a guide. Really liked our cabin, built right in the rain forest.The Lodge is beautiful and serene. A ideal place to just get away.

The bad: The food. The menu has many interesting items. Unfortunately we did not enjoy the food. Over-spiced and saturated with cumin. The coffee was very good

The ugly: This is a first class resort and I was bothered by the fact that they advertise the Emerald Hummingbird Sanctuary as being 33 kilometers from the Lodge.That is true if you have a helicopter! By car,over some really bad stretches of road it is actually 144 kilometers that takes 3 hours. You get this information from the guide when he announces the 4 AM pick up. This is an expensive tour and cancellations are not refundable. I just expected more.

Overall this was a very enjoyable vacation that I would do again. I would hope that the chef was replaced.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple

Hello Friends!

Thank you for your comments. We value all the positive as well as the negative comments, and we will be glad to look into your suggestions.

Thanks again and please do visit once more.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2016

We gathered a group of 14 of our closest friends and clients, and we descending upon the Pico Bonito Lodge for 6 nights. We arrived unsure of what we would find...what we found was complete and total luxury and excellence that you can only find in a few places around the world. Honduras is a country that is for the most part poor. However, this little hidden sanctuary is a 5 star resort in the Jungle/Rainforest that makes you feel pampered, and like royalty. Armando the restaurant manager has done an amazing job of staffing incredible servers and a chef that provides the most delicious food and the best bartenders that whip up fun and decadent drinks to meet your desires. He has also come up with a menu that is not only unique, but has something for everyone! We had a person that follows a vegetarian diet in our group, and she didn't go hungry. Specifically, the scallops dish was our favorite, as was the Kai Pai drink that Howard served me one late afternoon. Howard made everyone laugh, and he was quite a showman. Danillio was also outstanding and was polite, and courteous. The professionalism was virtually dripping from the restaurant at all hours of the day and night. They accommodating us when we were leaving for the day at the crack of ridiculous, and provided bag breakfasts for us while we went off birding in the field. We have been to many Central American countries and lodges, but Pico Bonito is the best by far. Air Conditioning is something that we, ugly Americans are so used to that sometimes we just can't live without. Pico Bonito was like a home away from home in a developing country. The Spa had just opened. I went for 2 treatments during my visit. It was refreshing, and beautiful. The massage therapist, Danny, was very good. He followed direction very well. I was pleased to have my feet massaged after walking around and standing looking at birds. The tea that I was served in a wooded beautiful cup was delicious and calming. I felt so relaxed and renewed after my treatment I was ready to go birding with new spirit and vigor. I don't really know how to describe the beautiful cabins, other than that they are comfortable, and so beautiful, it's hard to want to leave the cabin. The ceilings were high and vaulted. The bed (ours a king sized) was very comfortable. The furnishings were rich mahogany wood and rattan, with wood floors, and tiled bath/shower areas. The lighting is dim, so if you plan to read, bring a reading light. The grounds are gorgeous. Path lights light your way to your cabins at night, but you may want to carry a headlamp or flashlight to make sure you can find your way on cloudy nights. I also would suggest that you bring plenty of mosquito repellent, sun block and immodium, as all travelers need to be aware of the possible GI upset of a drastic change in diet. Our bird guide was amazing as well. I'll write a separate review for our guide. Alexander Alvarado of Honduran Birds.

Room Tip: Best room for birding #4! Lovely Cotingas right there! All cabins are quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business

Hello Friends,

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are really happy to know that we fulfilled your expectations. Please do return and we will be more than happy to have you!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 16, 2016

Had the opportunity to spend 3 nights with my wife and daughter and have great reviews. Food: enjoyed all we tried. Cabin: comfortable, clean and well kept. Guided Tours: safe, spectacular views of landscapes, great surroundings (birds and many more fauna), clear, clean, cold and fresh water rivers with splendid places to swim in. Hotel surroundings well kept to enjoy them. Staff: great service from every single person we had contact with. Only issue: didn't want to leave! Overall a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge and Spa at Pico Bonito, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2016

Hello friends!

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is our duty to make sure your stay with us is memorable and we are glad to know we have accomplished this.

Please do come visit us once again and make sure your family and friends know about your wonderful experience!

We'll be glad to share this piece of paradise with you once again!