“Lonely Planet is wrong on this hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Ceiba
Banana Republic Guesthouse
Ranked #25 of 34 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Lonely Planet is wrong on this hostel”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We've been traveling for 6 months now and this is the worst hostel we've ever stayed in. We found bedbugs in our room, asked for a different room, but when the guy of the hostel turned on the light we saw bedbugs on that bed as well. We ended up checking all beds in the dorms, but we saw the bedbug feces everywhere, it didn't look like the rooms were cleaned for a long time. We had a short night but luckily chose a good bed, cause we didn't get bitten.

The shower on the second floor and the sink on the first floor didn't work (there was no water). Also, the guy told us that they recently lost the key of the first room, but we read in these reviews that this key was missing a long time ago. The guy from the hostel was friendly, but didn't do anything about the bedbugs, didn't change the sheets, didn't warn anyone, he just watched tv. A shame that we didn't read these reviews before.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night only. You wouldn't stay here for any longer if you had any standards. There was no water, it only came on for a bit in the evening and a bit in the morning. One of the mattresses was on the floor, it was dirty, staff not very friendly. Oh and we were woken up at 5.30am by personnel and taxi drivers having loud conversations outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these La Ceiba hotels

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very basic and... uncharming. Friendly staff and pretty fast wifi.
For 20USD we got a private room for two with own bathroom. No sign of bedbugs as I remember but there were however ants in the room :|
Fine place to spend just one night to catch the early ferry boat to Utila. I do however feel that there should be better places to spend your 20 bucks

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arequipa, Peru
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am generally a pretty picky person when it comes to hostels, so I'm surprised at how bad most peoples' experiences were here.

My girlfriend and I stayed in a private room and it was very clean, the bed was really comfortable, and there were lots of people around to socialize and share stories and experiences: somewhat of a rarity in Honduras (or at least in December?). We only stayed one night, but it was a lovely hostel with good staff, a secure property, and pretty decent location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We're actually staying here tonight, just came on this website to advise people not to come here and saw all the earlier bad reviews.
There is very little to commend this place. Our 'dorm' is the corridor, with no privacy or security. We were told there's no private rooms but all the other rooms on this floor are empty - maybe that's because those are the beds that have bed bugs and now they're not letting people stay in them; we checked our mattresses and they seem OK. The kitchen is right next-door (not that there's a door on it), and someone saw a rat in it earlier - it had been attracted to an unwashed pan on the stove. We told the guy working here but no-one's been up to wash the pan or clean the rat poo off the kitchen surfaces. The sink in the bathroom doesn't work, there's no tap to turn, and the shower has no head - I think the toilet doesn't have long left either.
I'm surprised that others have been saying 'at least it's cheap' - this is our first night in Honduras so, after coming from Guatemala, it seems like this country is going to be pricey if this place is cheap! (Current dorm bed price is L160, FYI.) The write-up in Lonely Planet is very out-of-date - I guess this place was nice once upon a time, it is a lovely old building, but it needs a bit of TLC before it could be considered a good option again.
But at least the wi-fi works well!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank henrycovey
Monroe, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I came here intending to stay one night and leave on the first ferry to Utila (what 99% of guests here do), however ending up staying a week. I stayed a week not because I loved the place, but because I met a captain of a sailboat and was helping him work on it in return for a free ride to Utila. So I spent days working on the boat, returning in the evening to sleep.

For this purpose, I found no problem with the guesthouse. It was cheap, the mattresses were comfortable and I slept fine (usually with earplugs) in the dorms. Though the staff seemed to like to watch TV with the volume turned way up--which was irritating.
I saw no evidence of bedbegs as other reviewers mentioned. The bathroom was clean, the shower very cold (though La Ceiba is hot). The WIFI was decent.

**I was bothered by the fact that they sold no water and had no water refill tanks in the hostel (I learned this the hard way when I had to walk, alone to the nearest open store, 8 minutes away, at 9 at night for water).

I feel that at one time, in its heyday, this was probably not a bad place--it has the potential. It seems at one time the kitchen was decent and there were computers to use (not anymore). **If you are not traveling alone (like me), try to get an upstairs private (the one with the balcony has a bathroom a double and a single bed). It was quite nice.

• Stayed December 2012
London
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Erghhhhh! Please don't go to this place to stay, we were just chilling, sitting on the beds and my boyfriend found a bedbug! We weren't too sure if it was or not so googled it of course and it definitely was- the site showed us how to look for signs of them. Look for black dots (their faeces) in the cracks of the mattress- sure enough there were loads! We searched on other beds and they all had the same. When we told the staff member- he wasn't surprised, told us that they have had them before, we looked at some of the other matresses with him in one dorm and it was crawling with other bugs and the worst of it that he wanted us to stay on the bed underneath that one!!! I told him he needs to check and tell the other guests but he just sat and watched TV with his family.

Also, before hand we were in one room but the staff member couldn't find the key (it wasn't her fault, she was filling in for someone but they didn't set her up with the right information or even keys!) so we had to change rooms like 3 times (because of the bed bugs).

Very unhelpful staff- they didn't know where we can go, what we can do. Anyway- forget this place! There are other places to stay cheaply in La Ceiba- we even stayed in a hotel (very budget) for cheaper then in this place.

Oh and by the way- we did get bitten by the buggers!

Room Tip: No good rooms