“We should've checked TripAdviser in advance”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Ceiba
Banana Republic Guesthouse
Ranked #25 of 35 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We're actually staying here tonight, just came on this website to advise people not to come here and saw all the earlier bad reviews.
There is very little to commend this place. Our 'dorm' is the corridor, with no privacy or security. We were told there's no private rooms but all the other rooms on this floor are empty - maybe that's because those are the beds that have bed bugs and now they're not letting people stay in them; we checked our mattresses and they seem OK. The kitchen is right next-door (not that there's a door on it), and someone saw a rat in it earlier - it had been attracted to an unwashed pan on the stove. We told the guy working here but no-one's been up to wash the pan or clean the rat poo off the kitchen surfaces. The sink in the bathroom doesn't work, there's no tap to turn, and the shower has no head - I think the toilet doesn't have long left either.
I'm surprised that others have been saying 'at least it's cheap' - this is our first night in Honduras so, after coming from Guatemala, it seems like this country is going to be pricey if this place is cheap! (Current dorm bed price is L160, FYI.) The write-up in Lonely Planet is very out-of-date - I guess this place was nice once upon a time, it is a lovely old building, but it needs a bit of TLC before it could be considered a good option again.
But at least the wi-fi works well!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank henrycovey

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I came here intending to stay one night and leave on the first ferry to Utila (what 99% of guests here do), however ending up staying a week. I stayed a week not because I loved the place, but because I met a captain of a sailboat and was helping him work on it in return for a free ride to Utila. So I spent days working on the boat, returning in the evening to sleep.

For this purpose, I found no problem with the guesthouse. It was cheap, the mattresses were comfortable and I slept fine (usually with earplugs) in the dorms. Though the staff seemed to like to watch TV with the volume turned way up--which was irritating.
I saw no evidence of bedbegs as other reviewers mentioned. The bathroom was clean, the shower very cold (though La Ceiba is hot). The WIFI was decent.

**I was bothered by the fact that they sold no water and had no water refill tanks in the hostel (I learned this the hard way when I had to walk, alone to the nearest open store, 8 minutes away, at 9 at night for water).

I feel that at one time, in its heyday, this was probably not a bad place--it has the potential. It seems at one time the kitchen was decent and there were computers to use (not anymore). **If you are not traveling alone (like me), try to get an upstairs private (the one with the balcony has a bathroom a double and a single bed). It was quite nice.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Erghhhhh! Please don't go to this place to stay, we were just chilling, sitting on the beds and my boyfriend found a bedbug! We weren't too sure if it was or not so googled it of course and it definitely was- the site showed us how to look for signs of them. Look for black dots (their faeces) in the cracks of the mattress- sure enough there were loads! We searched on other beds and they all had the same. When we told the staff member- he wasn't surprised, told us that they have had them before, we looked at some of the other matresses with him in one dorm and it was crawling with other bugs and the worst of it that he wanted us to stay on the bed underneath that one!!! I told him he needs to check and tell the other guests but he just sat and watched TV with his family.

Also, before hand we were in one room but the staff member couldn't find the key (it wasn't her fault, she was filling in for someone but they didn't set her up with the right information or even keys!) so we had to change rooms like 3 times (because of the bed bugs).

Very unhelpful staff- they didn't know where we can go, what we can do. Anyway- forget this place! There are other places to stay cheaply in La Ceiba- we even stayed in a hotel (very budget) for cheaper then in this place.

Oh and by the way- we did get bitten by the buggers!

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was dreading our stay. It actually turned out to be ok. It isn't the worst hostel. There are lockers (bring your own lock), the rooms and bathroom are very basic but if you're just wanting to stay overnight before heading to Utila or Jungle River lodge I would still recommend it. It was a little bit noisy but I had earplugs so wasn't too much of an issue. Didn't have an issue with bedbugs but I did sleep in my sleeping bag liner. There is a big mall about 15 minutes walk away. The staff were good and let us leave our bags the following day there while we went to the mall.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We found a bedbug (alive) immediately upon arrival (I always check for these sort of things). The owner offered us another room, but we knew we wouldn't be able to get any sleep staying there. Fortunately the wi-fi worked very well, and we quickly google'd other hotels in La Ceiba and left the place within 15 minutes. Apart from the bedbugs it looked like an average hostal, if what you want is a cheap place to stay for a night before catching the bus/ferry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! A taxi driver took us here claiming the hostel we wanted was closed. On arrival, we had a dispute with him over the price, which he had doubled. The rude receptionist told us to go and find a room. We then had a knock on the door and it was the taxi driver, who the receptionist had let in through the locked fence, who then pulled a knife on us demanding the extra money. We gave it to him sharpish, but were then too frightened to leave our room, let alone the hostel. We made it across the hall to the bathroom, which was dirty, the toilet didn't flush and the taps didn't work. There were mice or rats running around in the kitchen that we could see down the hall. We weren't given sheets or towels. Staff were rude, unhelpful, and nearly got us stabbed. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Stay away at all costs
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ihearttraveltime
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed there one night in a private room on the first floor.

First look: a charming wooden house with decent clean looking linen.

What we found during our stay:
-in the bathroom: a used plaster and an old toothbrush on the washbassin, broken tap, dirty shower.
-in the toilet: big rat
-bed: very old, dirty matress

Conclusion:
-we decided to sleep on the floor in our sleeping bag and left the hotel ASAP on the next morning!

During our stay we have only seen at the reception guys in their mid-twenties more occupied to spend their day on internet and selling expensive rafting tours that properly running an hotel.

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Do not choose the private ones on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple