“Remote with extra sandflies”

La Delphina Bed and Breakfast, Bar and Grill
Ranked #6 of 35 La Ceiba B&B and Inns
Saskatoon, Canada
“Remote with extra sandflies”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Located 30 minutes from town, there are no convenience stores or restaurants within walking distance other than the hotel. Sandflies and mosquitos are on par with Utila and among the worst I've ever seen. Meals are decent, but all have similar sides; rice and beans, plantain chips, and boiled carrots/zucchini. No salad was available during our stay as they were out of lettuce. Rooms were comfortable, but renovations were ongoing. Expect power outages in the rainy season as with most of honduras. We had them book a tour for us, but the driver took us to the wrong company. It wasn't an issue as it was low season, but still annoying.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Theta_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
calgary
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at La Delphina for 2 nights in early May and wished we could have stayed longer. Richard picked us up from the ferry and transported us back to the hotel. He made arrangements for us to go to the Laguna de Cacao, which was amazing! He also took us to the ziplining and waterfalls. Richard made arrangements for us to go to Cayos Cachinos, having the boat pick us up from his beach. The food is exceptional, especially the rice and beans and the oven baked mac & cheese. Best I"ve ever tasted!

His resort is very clean and tidy. Hot water is plenitful, as are clean linens and the wifi worked from our room, lobby and the pool area. Not many places will let you into their kitchen, but Kelly and Richard open their place up like it is your own home. They will go out of their way to meet your requests as best they can. The early morning views and the sunsets from the rooftop, or the beach are exceptional.

I have to say that arriving there I was unexpectedly on crutches. Richard went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable. He even lifted me into his van! More than once asked if everything was ok and if there was anything we needed. His true desire for you to have an enjoyable experience goes above and beyond your average customer service.

I would definatley return in a heartbeat and encourage you to stay here if you are thinking of visiting. I'm certain that you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are upstairs. Room 2 has a great view of the pool with a king sized bed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were looking for a place to relax, and didn't know if we could find one in la ceiba. This place was perfect. The room was comfortable, the food was good, staff was friendly, and the beach was lovely. It isn't easy to get to without a car, but if you call call ahead, they would pick you up.

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Richard and Kelly were absolutely superb!! With less than 24 hours notice they were able to put together an amazing beach front wedding for my father and is new wife. They were able to have decorations, flowers, a delicious cake, and even a DJ with such short notice. Kelly even had a hair stylist come to the hotel to help my stepmother get ready. My personal favorite part was the food. Richard is a grill master, and the girls in the kitchen made the best ceviche I have ever had. When traveling sometimes it is hard to find what exactly you are looking for whether it be activities, food, or even just time to relax. At La Delphina, everything you could need or want can be handled. Although you are guests at a bed and breakfast it feels more like being in someone's home...I cannot wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed by any means staying here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Delaney B
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I just got back from an 8 day vacation in Honduras. Because of a review I read on TripAdvisor I decided to book my stay at a B&B called La Delphina outside of La Ceiba Honduras, just a ferry ride away from Roatan Island. And was I glad I did!! Richard, the owner, and his girlfriend, Kelly, are the nicest people ever and they and their staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was absolutely perfect. The B&B has 6 spotlessly clean rooms with ensuite bathrooms and tv and balcony. The place has a lovely clean pool and is right on the ocean, so I could swim in the ocean and come back and lay by the pool. The food was spectacular and since I'm a vegetarian they did whatever they could to make me great meals. Everything is fresh and well prepared. Richard is the kindest man and opens his pool area and restaurant to the locals in the community every weekend so it was fun to see the kids having such a great time in the pool and the adults dancing and of course drinking. Kelly is so sweet - she taught me Spanish and I helped her with her English and we spent a great day shopping at the mercado in La Ceiba.
If you're looking for an exceptionally clean, out of the way quiet place to stay with friendly people and great service this is the place to go. If you're looking for tourist activities go to Roatan. La Delphina is secluded and there's not much to do there except relax, swim in the ocean or pool and enjoy yourself. If you want to go to the zipline closeby or white water rafting, Richard will drive you there. And you can take a boat to another island for snorkeling, and the ferry (1 1/2 hours - be sure to ask for the free sea sickness pill if the ocean is rough that day!!!)
to Roatan, which was much too touristy for me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Robertag60
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I returned again to La Delphina and this time brought 4 of my friends. We stayed a total of 4 nights both before and after going to Utila for a week. Once again Richard took excellent care of us. The rooms are even nicer this year with the addition of flat screen TVs and very pretty and comfy new bedspreads in each room. Richard took us to and from the ferry, airport, and all around La Ceiba. He even took us to his bank so we could get the best currency exchange rate. We played in his pool and on the beach right off the deck. Food was delicious and drinks were generous. When you go, give his two adorable puppies a big hug! Richard, thand for everything! Terese

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are the best as they are closest to the beach with great views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Honduras
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I am a business owner living in the Bay Islands and recently treated myself to a getaway to the mainland for some much needed R&R. La Delphina came at the recommendation of an island friend so wet met there along with some of her friends visiting from the States. The rooms at La Delphina were perfectly adequate, nothing fancy, but clean and safe and with a/c. The drive from busy La Ceiba to the Sambo Creek area is lush with farm land, colorful flowers and green, green landscape. I felt myself literally breathe out as we headed towards this oasis. Our small group pretty much took over the restaurant bar for the evening and I enjoyed my time immensely sharing stories with Richard (the owner). He's a trip and quite the personality. He and his girlfriend (a very bright Honduran business woman) arranged our dinner to be served on the back deck which sits directly on the beach. The dinner was fabulous and more than any of us could eat. The night ended with some cocktails by the sea while listening to the waves break and rockin' in our comfy rocking chairs. I will be back, I now have my perfect "country" spot.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends