Pico Bonito is the single most beautiful place I have ever been and if you're going to visit, I would not stay anywhere but Villas Pico Bonito!!
My boyfriend and I came to Honduras to visit Roatan but before we got on the boat to the Bay Islands, I stumbled across the reviews of Villas Pico Bonito and decided to spend 2 nights. If I would have known what it was like, I'd probably cancel my entire trip to Roatan and just stay here. It was incredible.
I arranged for pick-up from the bus station. It's a long, bumpy drive up the hill but the scenery was beautiful. We ran into Ricard on our way up and he told us that he moved us from Colibri lodge to the Jungle Lodge since it was open. Such a great surprise! We were on a budget so I booked the Colobri, but the Jungle Lodge was incredible and I'm so excited we got to stay in it. It had the most breathtaking view of the river. We sat on the extremely comfortable reclining chairs on the patio and stared at the view for hours.
The room was very comfortable and could easily fit more people than just 2. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes at all! I brought a net but honestly didn't need it.
We were visiting during slow season and he said nobody would be checking in during the 2 nights we were there so we had the entire grounds to ourselves! We layed in hammocks, swam in the pool day and night and took the hike to the waterfall. We decided to do it on our own without a guide. It's about .5 mile walk to the entrance of the park and then it took us 4 hours round trip to hike to the waterfall and back. We went slow though and looked at all of the amazing plants and insects in the jungle. We didn't see any wildlife but could hear the trees rustling a lot. We didn't run into anyone during the whole duration of our hike. Warning: you should be in pretty good physical shape to attempt the hike. There's not really a specific trail and we had to swing around branches, climb up and down slippery rocks etc. At the top was the most breathtaking waterfall ever. So worth the long hike up. Bring snacks and tons of water!!
Because we were the only guests during the 2 nights we were at Villas Pico Bonito, on one of the days Richard had given the day off to some of his employees. He made sure we were fed though and drove us up the hill to eat at Omega Jungle Lodge which was delicious. We never were hungry. If we stayed longer, I would have definitely went grocery shopping in order to make some meals and save a little bit of money. The food was great though!
Richard is awesome. He answered all of our questions and even let us borrow his flashlight.
I was concerned before we came when I'd check the weather forecast. It showed thunderstorms all day and I was worried we'd be stuck inside. When we got there it was gorgeous weather. Sunny all day except for a few hours in the evening when it would rain. The rain was magical though.
The grounds are so beautiful and the jungle is so incredible, the prices of these lodges is a steal. I tell everyone about this place and cannot wait until my next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas Pico Bonito, Jungle Eco-Resort situated on the most beautiful part of the Rio Cangrejal, in the awesome Pico Bonito National Park, with spectacular vistas of jungle covered cliffs, opposite the largest waterfall on the river, El Bejuco. Villas Pico Bonito offers self catered homes with full kitchens, nicely appointed rooms and comfortable beds. In addition we have the Hidden Paradise restaurant for your convenience if you wish. Welcome to our Eco Lodge in the jungle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Villas Pico Bonito reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Pico Bonito Hotel La Ceiba
- Villas Pico Bonito Honduras/La Ceiba