“Rain or Shine is Fine With Us!”
Review of Villas Pico Bonito

Villas Pico Bonito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
roatan
“Rain or Shine is Fine With Us!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just spent a week at the Villas.
Richard was our first contact when making a reservation. He was quick to answer our questions and make suggestions, which made our travel simple and worry-free!
The villa were as shown in the pictures, as was the resort, although it was even more beautiful in person! A lot of thought went into the design of the foliage and fawn and being nature lovers, we spent a lot of time in the gardens, by the river and by the pool, which gave us a clear view of the spectacular waterfall directly across the river high above the mountains.
We have already planning our next trip back! I highly recommend Villas at Pico Bonito. Being in tourism ourselves, we expect a high level of customer care, and it was provide by every staff member on site! Letis, Anna, Will, Edda. And of course Ace & Lucy were great company too!

Room Tip: For a more private & natural experience stay in the river lodges. It's farthest from the mai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Rather than write a long drawn out review, I will just bullet point things to make it simple:

* Don't be afraid or listen to the crap people say about La Ceiba, it's a big City, so as every big city has crime, it does as well. Just use your head and don't be stupid. respect that you are in another country very different from your own. people were telling us it was 'so dangerous" and we shouldn't go to the mainland, but if we hadn't we would have missed out on the BEST part of our trip....Pico Bonito!
* Water is supplied in the room, but that's it. No coffee, no creamer, no sugar. If you need coffee in the am, I suggest you stop by the grocer. Buy snacks too, cause once it gets to a certain hour in the evening the kitchen is closed. There is no where else to eat either, so come prepared. Items to prepare food and eat food are supplied. i suggest you purchase breakfast foods and snacks. breakfast at the resort is very limited! You would be better off to get that for yourself and spend money on lunches and dinners at the bar. The food is REALLY good.
* Bring Paper Towels & Ziploc bags for your food. You are in the jungle and there are tiny little ants everywhere in the kitchen, but no one can help this, just bring bags to close up opened food products and keep most things in the fridge.
* We stayed in Bejuco Villa. The view is PHENOMENAL, the Villa is small, clean and very nice. The bed is even comfy. There isn't much water pressure in shower, but the water is clean. If you are out on the balcony and have neighbors at the Tucano villa next door you will have less privacy. Luckily we were there when no one else was, so we had the entire place almost to ourselves the whole time. i would suggest that the owner install some bamboo blinds on the balcony to allow for a little more privacy between villas. I wouldn't less this stop me from going though. You'll be sorry, as I said the view is killer!
* The Ceiba Tree villa looks beautiful in the photos, but it overlooks the pool, which can be kind of loud if the locals (friends of the staff) come to visit or kids are playing. Ceiba Tree also has a Tempurpedic bed, but the people staying there for a couple nights couldn't sleep because it was so hot in the bed (which is normal for a Tempurpedic...we have one at home, but not good for vacation when there is no A/C I guess). Bejuco is at the far opposite end of the property, so you get to enjoy the grounds and beautiful foliage and waterfalls throughout the place every time you go to your room. Bejuco also has the best view!
* Wilder the cook can make some mean dishes. Get the Coconut curry Shrimp or chicken and the pasta with chicken was delish. he really does a great job considering his location and lack of expertise.
* The company at the bar is sweet, Letty. But, the drinks at the bar are very weak, you'd be better off to buy your own liquor and make them in your room. Letty tried her best to accommodate us and make us feel cared for.
*Lucy and Ace are the two property dogs and both are beautiful, well behaved and a great addition to the place. they hang around the bar mostly and Ace likes to get in the pool. Your kids will be perfectly safe with both of them.
* Paco is a very large macaw on the property and he doesn't seem to care for the staff. he has bitten most of them (their own words), but my husband and I had no trouble petting him every time we passed him. He mumbles a hello and goodnight if you talk with him as you pass. He's beautiful and I think when we there he was really missing the owner Richard. he seemed discplaced and very lonely. Please take time to visit with Paco when you are there. Birds aren't mean to be solo creatures and he really needs a mate to chum around with.
*Bring BUG SPRAY ans use it!
Turn off all the lights in your villa at night if you are not in there, and even when you are. Light the candles. Remember you are in nature and the bugs LOVE the electric lights. Seriously, use the candles to keep bugs out of your room!
* We had a cat crying outside one night, so I opened the door and he came right in and made himself cozy on the sofa. he belongs there and it super sweet. he slept in our villa that night and then left the next morning, not to be seen again. He's yellow and white tabby, healthy and happy. We heard he is the property owners cat. So, if he comes crying to Bejuco, just let him in.
* There is a guest bathroom by the bar in the center of the resort on the side of the main white house. No one told us this upon arrival, so i thought I would share with you to avoid you making multiple trips to your room.
*Food is not readily available. Several nights the bar and kitchen closed early. I felt a few times like ordering dinner at 7:30 was a real inconvenience or sitting at the bar past 8 pm was keeping Letty from doing something she really wanted to do. I suspect this was because the Owner was out traveling for months and Ana, the Manager, is gone in the evening, so the bartender and cook are left to run the place at night. They are a couple and have a young child that is there with them always (Gesum)...he's quite a ball of energy.
* We got the feeling that the place wasn't run quite as well with the owner out of town, but that would be any company really. The employees get a little lax and aren't as responsive. Like, when we checked out, there was no one available to help with bags or unlock the gate, or even wish us off. The taxi driver said that was unusual too and he observed several things had been different since Richard had been gone. I think the employees treat this place more like their home when he is gone. So, if you want the ultimate experience that this place usually is, then just make sure the owner, Richard, is on site. We still loved the place, but it could have been much better on the service end.
* Rafting the river is fun (only a couple tiny Class 4 areas at the time we were there), not hard and it only took us about 1.5 hours. Victor was our guide and he was great.
* Hiking to the waterfall-it's quote a hike. You DO NOT need a guide, plus if you want a guide they try to charge you $50 PER PERSON....this seemed ridiculous to us that a guide would or could charge per person and people would pay. Whether there is on in your party por 5, the guide is doing the same amount of work! It does take 2-3 hours EACH way, depending on your speed and ability. It can be very steep and rocky in some places...i do not advise going alone! The hike itself wasn't all that scenic. there are very few if any birds, butterflies, etc. Maybe it was the time of the year, however, the smaller waterfalls you pass along the way make it worth the time and effort. They are beautiful. Then, the mother of them all at the end, but again this is not for little children or older people. The waterfall at the end is HUGE, but you cannot really safely access the actual fall of water or any pool. You just get to see and hear it and possibly, if you are brave enough to climb down, feel it's spray.

All in all, Pico Bonito was GORGEOUS. You could walk around the grounds for hours and photograph plants and flowers, if that's your thing. ...it's mine, and i got some great shots that I will canvas for my home.

We stayed on Roatan first for 6 nights and weren't impressed. The second portion of our trip, specifically Pico Bonito Villas, redeemed this vacation for us. We won't be visiting Honduras again, but we are very happy we were able to stay here. It really did make the vacation worth while for us.

IMPORTANT TRAVEL NOTE: If you fly between islands (Roatan, Utila) to the mainland make sure to confirm your flights and give yourself ample time to connect (or just take the ferry to avoid the headaches and hassle)! Both going to La Ceiba and coming back were terrible. We booked with Sosa Airlines for 11:30am flights both ways and when we got there at 10:30 am, there was NO 11:30 FLIGHT AT ALL...we finally left at 1PM (on the way back we had a connecting flight to Houston at 2pm! Thank God we made it). This could present serious problems if you have connecting flights, and it almost did for us on the way home. Give yourself plenty of time for connections! Remember, you are in Honduras and they really don't seem to give a damn if something goes wrong for you. I got this general feeling the entire time we visited. We've been MANY places and this is the only time I felt this way in a foreign country so far.

Room Tip: Bejuco has the BEST view of the river and the waterfall. It's on the far end of the property, s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonesy38
James A, Owner at Villas Pico Bonito, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thanks for the 5 star review. You bring up many very useful points and we appreciate your input. Let me see if I can answer some of the questions raised.

This is so true, thanks for making this point!

OOPs our mistake. You can have as much bottled water, coffee and creamer as you need. Sorry it was not in the Bejuco on arrival. For future guest please ask it you need any extra supplies, they are free so don't hold back.
Breakfast is six bucks, includes a fruit plate, cereal or eggs and coffee or more. You can get your eggs scrambled or in a "Baleada" flour tortilla, scrambled eggs, frijoles, creme, cheese, avocado. Yum Yum, just ask for them when ordering. Bal ee ar da! Oh yes please. Made for you by Miss Edda who will bring you extra coffee for your room if you want.

Excellent advice.

We are trying to get a really cool tree to grow between the Lodges but the leaf cutter ants are making it hard. Grrrrr.

Wow! first time I have heard of guest not liking the tempurPedic mattresses in the Ceiba Tree. We have fans in the lodge that can be directed towards any of the beds in the Lodges. Normal nightly temperature is around 70 degrees. Recently guests have been asking for blankets. In the dry season it can be hotter at night. A/C may be necessary for a very few night a year. It is expensive to run and will put the cost of the lodge by $25 per night.

Leti and Wilder are so very much appreciated by not only our guests but also by me!

My dogs are the greatest. They keep us entertained and safe.

Paco is an inherited bird. Missionaries leaving the country left him with a friend and ultimately with us in the Jungle. He grew up in a cage. As soon as I got him up here I opened the cage and said fly out of here Paco. He never left although he can fly and is never locked up in a cage. He is now down by the stream as he destroyed all the wood and furniture in the apartment he used to be around!

*Bring BUG SPRAY ans use it!

Good advice. The Bejuco is a screened Lodge.

Bebe is a moocha. He is extremely intelligent. More like a dog actually. He fell afoul of Ace when Ace was a puppy. Bebe ended up in the Ceiba Tree where he was safe from Ace chase!
When there is no one in the Ceiba Tree he will go on a night hunt for guests to mooch off.

Good point, again if you need information about anything regarding the resort just ask. We will put up a Bano sign to make it more obvious.

We have a staff of 2 that run the bar and kitchen. They start early and work late. Sometimes they return to their house 30 kms away on their motorcycle late at night.. Clean up in the evening after a late order can result in a 12/14 hour day. They will work as long as you want.

Ana my GM has more frequent 5 star ratings than when I am there! One of the achievements we have made at VPB is to take good honest Hondurans and train them to run a resort without constant supervision, we are very proud of that and Leti, Wilder, Orlando and Ana now speak English!. They are still learning as we all are, so a little patience is required compared to the situation we are used to in developed countries. Honduran families are very close to one another and find solace and safety in that. We do not discourage what is in essence Honduran. If you come to VPB you are in Honduras and are being looked after by a honduran staff. If you require 5 star service it is available at our friends at Pico Bonito Lodge and Las Cascadas. We offer reasonable prices and expect that guests will be a little more self sufficient as we offer fully self contained Lodges and a staff that will try to do all that you request of them. To our new guests please just ask if you require additional service. We guarantee you will be comfortable and will make sure you have a great time, no matter what.

We are just the messenger here. We use many different tour companies and are held to their policies. We actually say that you do not need a guide. The trail is very obvious. Everyone that makes the hike always have comments about it depending on who they are and what shape they are in. I had a Canadian trailee that did the round trip from the Ceiba Tree and back in just over an hour! Stud.

Now you are talking! We will try to do better and thanks for making so many good observations.

Richard
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days here over New Years and had an incredible time. Ana the hotel manager helped us plan activities every day such as white water rafting, zip lining, & hot springs. The entire staff was excellent and they even made a special dinner for us on new year's day. Fantastic place to relax, hike, & enjoy adventure trips while being surrounded by nature.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff D
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I must agree with other reviews that the place is very relaxing, beautiful and peaceful. I also like there restaurant, which us open to the public. They offer imported steaks and a wide selection of German beers. The grounds have beautiful gardens. the cangrejal river flows in front. I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and i have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank honduras1
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Who would expect to find a great hamburger that brought back memories of PJ Clarke's in New York City along a jungle river in La Ceiba, Honduras. Yesterday, while driving with a friend along the Rio Cangrejal on a bright sunny day.... hunger and thirst kicked in, so we stopped at Villas Pico Bonito a hidden jungle paradise overlooking the river. The expierence begins as you enter a this jungle eco lodge through beautiful tropcal gardens, flowers blooming everywhere. Fortunately the trail took us directly to the bar/restaurant, who could ask for more! But, there was a lot more. We were greeted wih a big smile from Leti who served up a couple of cold Honduran beers to quench our thirst, which we promptly took to a table by their beautiful infinity pool. About halfway through the first beer Leti arrived with the fabulous hamburgers she had recommended. Ah! life is good..Villas Pico Bonito has about eight lovely private lodges with views of the river, waterfall and tropical gardens. Lots of birds and wild life. They also offer hiking and river rafting...So, it's not just about hamburgers, unless of course you're just a couple of hungry folks wandering through the jungle.....

Room Tip: Go to their website for an overview of options
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelguy_rfl
James A, Owner at Villas Pico Bonito, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks. I have passed on your kind words to the staff.
Please come and stay with us if you plan to visit Honduras again.
Tuscola, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here for our 5th wedding anniversay in the Ceiba Tree Lodge. We had it all to ourselves. The place is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. Our room was gorgeous and very "tropical." The brought us a candlelight dinner with fresh flowers, champagne, steak and the works up to our balcony and waited on us hand and foot for our anniversary night dinner. It was awesome. Anna and Lettie were terrific! It is a beautiful place to stay, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ceiba Tree Lodge has two rooms - one on each side. But the view of the infinity pool, gardens and th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
James A, General Manager at Villas Pico Bonito, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thanks for the review. We do like to arrange special events for people. Generally we do not charge extra for these services. It is nice when we get a review thanking us for the work we do to keep our guests happy.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights at Villas Pico Bonito.  This place is phenomenal.  The entire staff was friendly and accommodating.  The check in was hassle free. We arrived and were taken straight to the room.   It's hard to please everyone all of the time but the 4 in our group were entirely satisfied with all aspects of our stay. The meals served were delicious.  The property was beautiful and immaculate.  Welder, Anna and Leti went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant.  Our only regret now is we wish we would have booked longer.

• Stayed November 2012