“Outstanding Mayan Ruins” 5 of 5 bubbles

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Outstanding Mayan Ruins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent two days visiting Copan Ruins and Rastrejon. Both are well worth it. Wear comfortable shoes and cool clothes since it can get very hot. Bring repellent and sunscreen. It is necessary to hire a guide if you want to find out the history of Copan, especially Conejo 18's reign!

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsingborg, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Made it so much better with a guide in a small group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Ended up going with a local guide that had been working there for 18 years, and he know his stuff.

I would defiantly recommend going with a guide that have been there for a long time.

2 Thank badanka09
Silver Spring, Maryland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Some say it's quaint...and safe.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

and it is a colonial town, with the traditional central park, a catholic church on one side, the government building on the other. There is a small mercado a block away, with produce on the bottom floor, and shoes and clothing upstairs. The main draw to the town is its proximity to the ruins. There is a wider variety of places to eat here than you would expect in such a small town, due to the large number of tourists who pass through. There are cobblestone streets, but for me they were more a possible twisted ankle or a rough ride in a mototaxi than quaint.
I came to attend a Spanish language school, which I loved.
However, and most importantly, I was ROBBED on the way home one night. I took reasonable precautions: Knowing we would be out late, I had the number of a mototaxista ( get a number- only some of them work nights, and there is no central dispatch number). I called and waited...which of course made it later at night.... when the taxi didn't show I called again and got no answer. Now what? Another vistor ( male) and I decided to walk together since our hotels were very close, and it was only a little ways. ( NEVER walk alone after 10 pm) One and a half blocks from the main square- we could see it from where we were attacked!- 5 teens, one with GUN, one with a knife, faces half hidden, came out of a dark area. They pointed the gun at us, told us not to look at them, and keep our hands up. They took my purse (money, debit card, iphone, etc), and the wallet of my companion. They then proceeded to hit him with sticks. Then they fled down a set of stairs that connects two streets.
I reported the crime to the police the next morning. And everyone who heard, either said what a shame, that Copan is such a safe place, or, that everyone knows that that particular spot in Copan is dangerous.
If the town of Copan Ruinas wants the tourist income, there needs to be better transportation when the bars and restaurants close. A visitor should not have to know to find a night driver prior to going out. Assign a few taxistas to the night shift on weekends, and provide a central number for tourists to call for a ride. And if there is a known dangerous spot, why is nothing done to fix it? Add lights or cut down some plants!
It is up to the town if they want the tourists or not. In the 2 weeks travelling around Honduras prior to the incident, I had planned to return to the US and tell people they were wrong, that Honduras was safe. Now, I know they were right, and would not advise anyone I know to go there, especially this supposedly "safe" town.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Ruins are in excellent condition and area is very beautiful. A short walk from town (about 10 mins). Worth the visit.

Visited February 2013
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wow....worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was a little worried about traveling for 6 hours from Antigua just to see the Copan ruins. From what I had read - it's no Tikal. However, it was absolutely worth the time and effort to get there. The site is set in a beautiful area with lots of greenery and birds flying above. The ruins are magnificent and the stelae are so intricately beautiful. I totally recommend getting there early. I was there right when it opened at 8am and didn't see another person until 2 hours later. I had the place all to myself! What an experience!

Also, what a pleasant surprise Copan Ruinas is...the little town is great. I will definitely come back to visit Honduras.

1 Thank Andrea S