“Good local food, pleasant service”

La Llama del Bosque
Ranked #15 of 39 Restaurants in Copan
Cuisines: Central American
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Good local food, pleasant service”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We went on the recommendation of Flor, our lovely hostess at the Casa Rosada and we were not disappointed.
The staff do not speak English and we don't speak Spanish, but, with a great deal of hand gesticulation and smiling we got a meal we enjoyed( though their portions are far to big for our meagre appetites). The family were obviously eating at an adjacent table and we were brought a spoonful from their table to try before we made up our minds.
For those travelling in a a group of 4 with enormous appetites there is a very reasonable house speciality which a Dutch group on an adjacent table told us was excellent.
The wine choice was limited to Red and White and the White had run out, but the red at less than £3 a glass was quite palatable.
Contrary to some of the reports on TA we found the service both efficient and friendly and we would certainly recommend the restaurant for a good value meal in clean and pleasant surroundings.

Visited February 2014

Palm Springs, California
“A great eating place”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The food is well prices, well prepared, and nicely served. One evening, the waitress added a beer on my bill that I didn't have. I asked the cashier (maybe the owner) about it. He said he was sorry, crossed it off the bill and wouldn't charge me tax or tip, (12% each). I told him it was OK but he wouldn't accept a tip for the girls. I made up for it the next day because the service was great!

Visited December 2013
Los Angeles, California
“not much to offer but tasty sides”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Even though I was one of their earlier dinner guests, everything I asked for from the menu was unavailable. The depressed-looking waitress kept pushing chicken fajita or something similar on me. No beef dishes, no pork chop, no other meat of any kind except for chicken and "beef steak" of pork. I really wasn't in the mood for any more chicken (which I'd had a couple days in a row) and settled for the latter. The meat was really tough and not all that enjoyable, but the sides were very delicious even if simple (beans, rice, avocado, grilled banana). I especially enjoyed the grilled banana. I also loved their picked peppers, onions, etc., served as condiment.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,087 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,516 helpful votes
“Terrible service, Tasty food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tip: Gekko (gekkotrailsexplorer.com) is the best way to travel in Central America. They have buses for several locations including Copan - San Salvador.
I also recommend Terramaya Hotel. Check my review.

Cons: TERRIBLE service, the server was very rude.

Pros: tasty food, homemade style.

We had a meat soup because we were sick. It was very good. It comes with tortilla, lots of veggies and rice.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank HelenaGuerra
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Maybe not a good night?”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant has a good reputation and was recommended by our hotel. When we arrived, about 7:30 pm it was totally empty. One other tourist couple came in later. Service was polite, but not great and only Spanish. The tipico menu did not have good choices for our group, who struggled to choose entries. I had a veggie pasta, and although the pasta was clearly homemade and delicious, the sauce was totally bland. Of our six selections no one was impressed. So, if you are thinking of going, look at the menu before committing, and if the place is empty, give it a pass. It might be chef's night off.

• Visited March 2013