“wonderful place”
Review of Terramaya

Terramaya
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed August 24, 2013

great boutique hotel. accommodations where modern, and like anything i would book in ca. great price for a big room, comfy bed, clean atmosphere. free breakfast & wifi too. very nice staff too. near the central part of the village. easy walking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend for one night and it was wonderful. Our room was very clean, had sloping, 30-foot ceilings, ceiling fans that kept us nice and cool, and the highlight of it all, our balcony with a a hammock and a view overlooking the courtyard and the entire valley. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the balcony was. We were always greeted with a glass of iced-tea that was also delicious. A wonderful place to stay and our favorite during our week in Honduras.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This jewel of a hotel is new in the last couple years, and the supremely attentive maintenance guarantees it will stay new indefinitely. Owners Howard and Angela have well over a decade of experience as pioneers in the Copán hospitality industry, and everything they do is absolutely first world all the way. Better really, considering the rigorous cleanliness, the high-quality materials, the first-class service from staff who are always friendly, helpful, and 100% honest.

Before staying for a week at Terramaya, my wife and I stayed in their 2-bedroom 1-bathroom rental home (Casa Jaguar) for a week. During that week we also enjoyed breakfast each morning at their lovely bed & breakfast, La Casa de Cafe.

At this point I really must draw attention to their outstanding breakfasts, both at Terramaya and at La Casa de Cafe. 4 or more kinds of cut, fresh, fruit in season, a cheese plate (surprise! Perhaps the finest cheeses in Honduras are made in Copán), fresh fruit juice - with more available if you like, delicious local coffee (I never drank coffee before I got to Central America), or delightful lemongrass tea which they cut and brew from lemongrass grown in the courtyard right after you ask for it.

And I haven't yet even mentioned the main course, which they will make in accordance with your own gastronomical preferences. If you have no limits, they will serve you something different, creative, and delicious every day for two weeks straight with no repeats. My wife and I don't eat grains or legumes, and they had no trouble with even that significant restriction. We ate everything they served us and it was all scrumptious.

I've never had a breakfast this good at a B&B in the USA or Europe because no matter what's on the menu, northerners simply cannot get the absolutely premier-quality fresh ingredients that are grown, raised, or produced all year around right here in Copán.

So book now! You can arrange your stay at Terramaya over email, and Howard has other options at a variety of price points if Terramaya is full. My only other advice is to arrange your stay to be twice as long as you originally planned--that's what we ended up doing. Copán is a great little town with a lot going for it, and Terramaya is only the beginning.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 and 6 have large covered balconies with great views, comfy chairs, and a hammock. The balcon...
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our stay was incredible. Terramaya features light, airy rooms, with white curtains that gently blow in the breeze, amazing views of the town and toward the ruins, a stunning garden, and hearty breakfasts. My soon-to-be-husband and I had a short window to see each other between our busy work schedules that have kept us in different countries this summer. Howard and Angela made us feel so welcome and the small touches made our weekend getaway extra special and super romantic. The owners and staff are amazing and strive to make your stay perfect. Chilo greets you with a smile when you come home from a late dinner, Mariana treats you like an old friend, Mari and Lucia keep you well fed. Rooms 5 and 6 have the best views in Copan and the hammocks on the patios are the perfect way to unwind, relax and reflect on how wonderful life can be.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Wow! This place is top class. In the middle of town with great views from the second floor bedrooms. The rooms have high ceilings and are very light and airy. We stayed in room 6 and the balcony was very large with comfortable sofa chairs and an amazing view over Copan. Our room also had a jacuzzi bath which we all thoroughly enjoyed. The beds were super comfortable with crisp clean sheets. The best part though were the staff. They were all so happy to help going beyond the call of duty whenever possible. We were brought tea, wine and hot chocolate to our room on numerous occasions! It was just perfect and a definite must if you are planning on visiting Copan Ruinas.

Room Tip: Room 6 was fabulous. Big balcony, great views and a jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A charming, small hotel only with 6 rooms and with a beautiful garden. The location is perfect, everything is in a few minutes walking distance but it is a must to try a tuk tuk!
I didn't feel that I am in a hotel, Angela, Howard, Lucia and Mariana made me feel that I am a guest in their home. Memorable stay in Copan and in Honduras.
The room was beautiful, simple, big enough, clean with a small balcony. It was a bit noisy during the night as the room is looking to the street.
We had delicious breakfast on the terrace overlooking to the garden with beautiful flowers and hummingbirds.
The staff is friendly, kind, helpful. Try the fresh lemongrass tea offered by Lucia or Mariana!
I just came back to Tegucigalpa and I received a kind e-mail from Angela asking if I arrived back safe. I wish I could go back to Terramaya and stay longer.

Room Tip: Room 3 and 4 can be a bit noisy, room 5 or 6 are more quite overlooking to the garden with a big bal...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for three days at Terramaya in April. We stayed in the room with the view of the valley and loved our terrace and the fantastic hammock. I loved waking up in the morning and going out to see the day beginning in town. The room was impeccably clean and staff came in multiple times each day to clean up, fold clothes, and keep the bathroom in shape. The room was modern, cool, and quiet. Even with people in the room next to us we never heard them. Breakfast was wonderful on the veranda and helped you prepare for the day as well as offered relaxing moments of watching hummingbirds flit in and out of the garden flowers. The food was always good, ready on time, well prepared, and healthy. The coffee was fantastic.

What really made Terramaya set itself apart from every other place we stayed at was the staff. Every time you come back to the hotel you are always offered either an ice tea or a coffee. Universally genuine smiles at your arrival and helpful with any questions. Our poor Spanish was only a mild problem. The owners were there the first morning we arrived to introduce themselves and offer advice about town and they made sure we were happy by checking in with us at least every day. Even the guard was super nice. The staff were what made the hotel such a great place and they genuinely seem to enjoy what they are doing.

The location is fantastic with you being enough out of town that it is quiet yet close enough that you can be in the park in five minutes by foot. The hill will definitely help you get into shape, or you can cheap out and get a tuk tuk. We did not stay at San Lucas but we had lunch there and also had an evening cocktail there. However, I think our stay at Terramaya was better than if we had stayed at Hacienda. All around, we highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple