“First rate hospitality and comfort”
Review of Terramaya

and 1 more site!
Terramaya
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“First rate hospitality and comfort”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed in Terramaya with my husband and parents for a few nights while visiting Copan. The premises are gorgeous - colonial-style architecture combined with beautiful modern details. There is a garden area in the back where you can lounge and take breakfast. The staff was very attentive and helpful, always offering a cold beverage when we'd come in from the town. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the central plaza but far enough away from late-night revelers. The breakfast menu changes each day and was excellent. There was even a surprise little chocolate in our room in the evening! Special touches like these make the Terramaya unique. It is a very comfortable place to stay. We would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Rio Dulce Guatemala
Reviewed July 20, 2011

COPAN HONDURAS Do not miss the stunning TERRAMAYA Hotel. European style comfort, down pillows, jacuzzi tub (not in all rooms), flat screen TV incredible views a very nice breakfast, all inclusive very reasonably priced. Hosts Angela and Howard also offer Casa de Cafe and Blue Iguana, from about $6 for backpackers lodging on up to about $65 for a luxurious night in TerraMaya. Any one of these intimate, well hosted choices is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to see how upscale Ruins de Copan has become and enjoyed the hot springs and Macaw Mounain as well. Check out TerraMaya at info@terramayacopan.com

Room Tip: Best at TerraMaya is room 5
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank iingua
Truckee
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Terramaya Hotel in Copan Ruinas in March of 2011 while visiting our daughter who is in the Peace Corps. Our stay at the Terramaya was magical. The owners take great pride in their establishment as evidenced by the care in the design of the hotel and its immaculate state. The place is gorgeous, serene, friendly, and amazingly comfortable. The staff was friendly, quick to serve, and accommodating. The morning breakfast was fit for royalty! And, finally, the views from the patio and our second floor room were stunning. Our stay there was so lovely we didn’t want to leave. It was a true retreat from the day to day travel hurdles as we tried to get in as much as possible while in Copan. My husband and I highly recommend the Terramaya Hotel and hope to someday return to enjoy its comforts once again.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have amazing views
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dover, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a delightful 3 night stay at the Terramaya. The hotel was impeccably clean, the staff was outstandingly helpful and friendly, and the beauty of the hotel and its surrounding views were food for the soul. After 10 days "roughing it" in La Moskitia, this was a much needed immersion in luxury for us, staying in Rm. 6 with the jetted tub and private balcony.

The daily breakfast was always very generously portioned and delicious, and dining on the lovely patio overlooking the well-tended gardens was a great way to start each day. The staff made sure to have fresh drinking water in our room whenever we'd been out, including turndown service in the evenings. They helped to arrange an excellent tour guide (Julio) at the archeological park, as well as reservations for the traditional prix fixe meal at Haciendo San Lucas. They also offered good suggestions for other local dining and arranged for our hired car to return us to SAP in time for our flight home. As we do not speak much Spanish, these assistances were incredibly helpful to us.

The truly outstanding level of service they offer was especially evident after a line of storms took out power to the entire region on Thursday afternoon. When we arrived home after dinner, there were candles lining both sides of our path all the way from the front entrance, right to our door...absolutely beautiful and so romantic! When the power still wasn't on by Friday morning (apparently an unusual occurence), they heated up buckets of water on the stove and carried them upstairs to our room so that we could have a warm "shower". I can think of no other hotel in our somewhat extensive travels over the last 25 years where I have felt more wonderfully cared for. I hope that we make it back to Copan someday so that we can stay at the Terramaya again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My parents and I stayed here for two nights while visiting Copan Ruinas. I wish we could have spent more time in the hotel because it is one of the most amazing hotels I've ever stayed in. It is simplistic, spotless, modern, and romantic. There are only a few rooms but the intimacy of the hotel makes it even more likable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an few nights outside of the "typical Honduras." The owner and his wife were very helpful and personable. They helped us with pricing and planning day trips. The staff always offered us a drink right when we walked through the doors. Continental breakfast consisted of a fruit plate plus a plate of eggs or waffles. This hotel is very classy but not overpriced. I would love to stay here again. Anyone heading to Copan Ruinas should stay in this hotel--you won't be sorry!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I booked this hotel at the last minute, which is not my usual style, but the owner was in immediate email contact with me answering all my questions. I had been studying Spanish but was happy that Howard could make arrangements in either Spanish or English as well to give my tired brain a rest. I arrived early and was offered iced tea out in the garden. A few hours later after touring the town a bit, I relaxed with a beer in my private hammock, watching the end of the afternoon and evening light on the Copán valley from my upstairs balacony (Room #5). I needed to get online to attend to some business but didn't have my laptop with me. The owners kindly let me use their computer. Awesome service!

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
nyc
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is a lovely place, simply and tastefully decorated. My room was large and spotless. The staff was helpful, giving suggestions for dining, activities and checking on local transportation schedules for me; while I dealt with them in Spanish, I believe both women at reception spoke English. There was a slight mixup in my room the first night which was handled very well. The owners made a point to introduce themselves and speak to their guests. The hotel provides a large, good breakfast each morning, which came with really excellent bread. For anyone who may have mobility issues, note that the hotel is a few minute walk from the main square, up a steep hill. However tuk tuks seemed plentiful and I don't think they cost more than $1, so you should't let that dissuade you. I lived in Mexico and have travelled extensively in Mexico and Central America--this is one of the nicest of the small hotels I have stayed at in the region.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo