“Hotel seems nice, but we had problems with reservations”
Review of Iguana Azul

Iguana Azul
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a bad experience with reservations at this hotel. Because our shuttle bus changed the date of our trip to Copan, we had to change the date of our hotel reservations. Folks at the Iguana Azul told us that they didn't think they had a double for that night, but we could check when we arrived, and if they did not have one, they would reserve two hostel beds in the shared dorms. They did not, however, hold any beds for us. We had anticipated not having the double (they wouldn't say, but it sounded like they were full, and the only chance of getting a room was that someone would cancel). However, it was very disappointing that they did not hold two hostel beds for us as they had said. If they do honor your reservation, the hotel otherwise seemed to be nice from what I saw of it. Compared to other places in town, it is a bit farther from the center, about 5 or 6 blocks, which is a noticeable difference in a town where everything is pretty concentrated in the two blocks around the square. Though it is overall a small town, so the

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
copanhonduras, Owner at Iguana Azul, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for your comments. I received an e mail from the guest requesting a private double room and the room was reserved for them. At the last minute the guests needed to change their arrival date due to a problem with shuttle transport. I clearly stated to the guest via e mail that I could not guarantee accomodations, as this was during the very busy Christmas - New Years period - but assured the guests that I would do my very best to accomodate them in the hostel. Upon arrival, unfortunately there was no space at the hostel in a private or dorm rooms. I expressed to the guests that if there was a cancellation or any change during the day, we would happily accomodate them. Unfortunately a room or dorm beds did not open up at that time. Our policy at Iguana Azul is to never overbook and we always do our very best to honor every single reservation and treat our guests professionally and with the respect they deserve. This has been our policy since we opened in 1997. Unfortunately in this case, this was just not possible, the fact that the guests needed to change their reservation at the very last minute, combined with the very busy Christmas - New Years high season, made it impossible to offer them a bed. I expressed my sincere apologies to the guests that we were not able to offer them a bed for the night. I feel confident that we did everything possible to accomodate the guests and treated with them in a professional & courteous manner.

There are newer reviews for Iguana Azul

Reviewed January 2, 2014

What a fantastic hostel! More like a four-star hotel--in fact, much better than rooms I've paid 10x as much for. The owner maintains a subdued, hands-off approach, and he is impeccably honest.

Sadly, I could only stay for one night because the place is booked solid...so plan ahead a little if you want a tranquil, affordable, and beautifully furnished room with high ceilings and large comfortable bed.

The median age for a hostel is somewhat above the norm (at least while I was here)...so, it's less frantic than many of the youth hostels I've stayed in. Looking forward to taking in the sights of this quaint little town and the ruins.

Room Tip: Make a reservation in advance if you want a private room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had a fabulous experience at Iguana Azul! This was the coolest hostel I've stayed at in Central America. The rooms were welcoming, clean and comfortable. The common area was bright and had lots of resources and postings on recommendations and things to do in Copan. The bathroom and showers were funky! I tried their chicken tamale at the cafe next door (super relaxing) and it was perfect. Howard was super laid-back- allowed me to leave my big suitcase behind while I went to Guatemala for a week, and even emailed me a list of things to check out on my trip there! Of course I booked more nights with them when I returned. All the other staff were very friendly, even the night guards! I had a private room my first time, and felt comfortable enough there to try a dorm room the second time. I made friends with the two other people staying there because we were all easy going backpackers. I slept like a rock every night. This was the best value for an amazing place to stay in Copan.

Room Tip: Private and dorm are both equally nice! The private rooms here are quality as far as hostels go, I w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a private room which was spacious and had a very comfortable bed. The walls were a little thin though. The shared bathrooms were clean and water hot. The common area was nice, but not quite big enough to have a few people sitting around. Free purified water is always good. Lots of useful travel information too. It was only a short walk to restaurants, but probably further than the other hotels in town. Would certainly recommend the stay,.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a great place! I've stayed here every year when I visit Copan Ruinas. One of the nicest hostels in Honduras. You can't go wrong. Comfortable beds, tall ceilings, great fans, and very clean showers & toilets.

The owners have a fantastic B&B next door if you're looking for a splurge, but I prefer the simple and clean rooms at Iguana Azul. I do highly-recommend the breakfasts next door.

Will be back!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Iguana Azul is a clean, friendly hostel a short walk from the centre of Copán Ruinas. The owner is friendly (although not always available as he’s tending to the B&B next door — just go next door to find him and he’ll be happy to help). I stayed in a private room, but the dorm rooms looked similarly clean and comfortable. Lockers are provided. Showers and toilets are shared between all private and dorm rooms, but there are plenty of them. The showers are good.

Breakfast is available at the B&B next door. The hostel has no kitchen, but eating out in Copán Ruinas is cheap and there’s a lot of variety available.

The hostel has a nice common area with book exchange, free Wi-Fi, a fridge and free potable water. It also has lots of information about things to do in the area — more information than I’ve seen in many other hostels.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Its a very good hostel. Not that far from the center, nice quiet area. They replied to my email very quick on the same day, and were very nice. Very clean. The only thing needed to be excellent is a kitchen. But you can find cheap good places to eat very close.