“Exterior shot doesn't do this place justice. Great spot!”
Review of Iguana Azul

Iguana Azul
Reviewed January 2, 2014

What a fantastic hostel! More like a four-star hotel--in fact, much better than rooms I've paid 10x as much for. The owner maintains a subdued, hands-off approach, and he is impeccably honest.

Sadly, I could only stay for one night because the place is booked solid...so plan ahead a little if you want a tranquil, affordable, and beautifully furnished room with high ceilings and large comfortable bed.

The median age for a hostel is somewhat above the norm (at least while I was here)...so, it's less frantic than many of the youth hostels I've stayed in. Looking forward to taking in the sights of this quaint little town and the ruins.

Room Tip: Make a reservation in advance if you want a private room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Iguana Azul

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had a fabulous experience at Iguana Azul! This was the coolest hostel I've stayed at in Central America. The rooms were welcoming, clean and comfortable. The common area was bright and had lots of resources and postings on recommendations and things to do in Copan. The bathroom and showers were funky! I tried their chicken tamale at the cafe next door (super relaxing) and it was perfect. Howard was super laid-back- allowed me to leave my big suitcase behind while I went to Guatemala for a week, and even emailed me a list of things to check out on my trip there! Of course I booked more nights with them when I returned. All the other staff were very friendly, even the night guards! I had a private room my first time, and felt comfortable enough there to try a dorm room the second time. I made friends with the two other people staying there because we were all easy going backpackers. I slept like a rock every night. This was the best value for an amazing place to stay in Copan.

Room Tip: Private and dorm are both equally nice! The private rooms here are quality as far as hostels go, I w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a private room which was spacious and had a very comfortable bed. The walls were a little thin though. The shared bathrooms were clean and water hot. The common area was nice, but not quite big enough to have a few people sitting around. Free purified water is always good. Lots of useful travel information too. It was only a short walk to restaurants, but probably further than the other hotels in town. Would certainly recommend the stay,.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a great place! I've stayed here every year when I visit Copan Ruinas. One of the nicest hostels in Honduras. You can't go wrong. Comfortable beds, tall ceilings, great fans, and very clean showers & toilets.

The owners have a fantastic B&B next door if you're looking for a splurge, but I prefer the simple and clean rooms at Iguana Azul. I do highly-recommend the breakfasts next door.

Will be back!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Iguana Azul is a clean, friendly hostel a short walk from the centre of Copán Ruinas. The owner is friendly (although not always available as he’s tending to the B&B next door — just go next door to find him and he’ll be happy to help). I stayed in a private room, but the dorm rooms looked similarly clean and comfortable. Lockers are provided. Showers and toilets are shared between all private and dorm rooms, but there are plenty of them. The showers are good.

Breakfast is available at the B&B next door. The hostel has no kitchen, but eating out in Copán Ruinas is cheap and there’s a lot of variety available.

The hostel has a nice common area with book exchange, free Wi-Fi, a fridge and free potable water. It also has lots of information about things to do in the area — more information than I’ve seen in many other hostels.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Its a very good hostel. Not that far from the center, nice quiet area. They replied to my email very quick on the same day, and were very nice. Very clean. The only thing needed to be excellent is a kitchen. But you can find cheap good places to eat very close.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am skeptical of top lists in general. So when I saw that Iguana was on the top ten list of world's best hostels, I was skeptical. In general, while I don't need luxury accommodations, I avoid hostels because comfort, cleanliness, quality of sleep and "relaxed feel" are very important. But my boyfriend insisted on paying third world prices in third world country. So we booked and I held my breath.

Well, let me just say if there was a hotel Iguana in every place I traveled to, I would stay there in a heartbeat. When we entered the hostel, the vibrant colors everywhere, well-planned layout of property, made me think of a boutique hotel. We stayed in a Private double. The room was spacious, painted in beautiful colors, clean, quiet. All furniture like dresser, desk, clothes hanging rack were tastefully simple and sufficient for two people. I thought I would crave an AC during hot rainy season (September), but the fan was more than enough (found this true in Copan and Roatan). I thought the shared bath would be a yucky situation. Far from it! All bathroom and shower stalls were extremely clean, enclosed in walls painted in beautiful, bright tropical colors, and nearly spotless floor. Privacy guaranteed. I could've happily showered there for hours enjoying the full hot water and good feel.

The entire property is just well-run with great attentions to detail, quality of service. There are tons of helpful info for all types of travelers. We had a full breakfast at the cafe next door run by the hotel. incredible views over mountain valleys. Food was delicious. If you're tight on budget, note our breakfast cost more per person than our room per night. But it was still a good value for quality of food and view.

From entrance where Hedman Alas / Cassasola drop off, it's a 20 minute walk. The hotel is pretty much at the edge of Copan town. Nice if you're looking for quiet and enjoy ambles around the charming stone streets. Otherwise, hail a tuk-tuk especially if you have hefty luggage on wheels.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple