“One of the best stays in Honduras”
Review of Iguana Azul

Iguana Azul
Ranked #1 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Copan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Super tidy, well maintained, good showers and bathrooms (and plenty of them), safe, friendly staff and owners and excelent info boards with things to do. Just one thing to bear in mind - there is no kitchen, but it didn't bother me much - I enjoyed every minute of my stay. Even the bed in private room was made every morning - definitely B&B service for hostel prices!
And I must mention how welcoming and understanding were the owners - I didn't think far in advance and didn't book the room for all nights I was planning on staying in Copan, and ended up having to check out and go to another hostel on my birthday! I was really upset for my own silliness, but the owners were so super nice to give me an awesome deal for the B&B next door, so I wouldn't have to pack and go somewhere else. Literally saved my day! I could not have been any happier with my stay with Iguana Azul family! Would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in Copan in July and had a great time. The town has a very Spanish feel and surrounded by stunning lush jungle and this is reflected in the decor and atmosphere of the iguana azul. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm which is nicely decorated and has high ceilings and tile floors to keep it cool. They provide free filtered drinking water and padlocks for the dorms cute wooden lockers. Yes the showers and loos are outside but it's all enclosed in the courtyard and both are kept very clean. It's a bit of a walk out of the very centre but literally only 5 minutes from viavia. Great place to stay if you're looking for a fairly small, family run, chilled out stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very clean, tidy & quiet hostel with a nice lobby area to meet fellow travellers. I stayed just one night but would stay again, had a comfy bed in private room with shared bathrooms. Friendly staff with whiteboards full of info on copan itself as well as moving on to other locations, Located just a few easy walking blocks to the town cente. A little weird that you have to ring the bell to get in rather then having a key but never had to wait more then a minute or so to get in (either by a fellow traveller inside or by locating someone next door) & it felt secure this way during the day & at night there was a watchiman snoozing on the couch after hours to let in any late night stragglers or keep out the riff raff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank curlyrach
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is probably the cleanest hostel we have stayed in - probably partly as it seems brand new and custom built.

We paid $15 a night for 3 nights for a private room with shared bathroom. The design of the place is lovely with nice Mexican style tiling, big windows with big guards that you can keep open all night.

The showers/loos are spotless and cleaned all the time by the looks of things.

It is very quiet and managed externally so generally someone will pop out from next door when you ring the bell. The owners also own a more upmarket B&B next door and the same staff manage both - so, super friendly and professional staff, cleaners etc in uniform. They also make the room up daily.

We had wifi issues on one day, but it was fine from our room the rest of the time.

We were worried about it being outside of town, but it is literally a 4-5 minute walk! Copan is small and everything is very close.

The town is gorgeous and it is worth taking their recommendations for the breakfast places etc. (can't remember the name sorry).

Room Tip: There are three private rooms, and (I think) 2 dorm rooms. You don't need air-con in Copan as it...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I guess I should respond to Stefanie G's review blasting of Iguana Azul because the room she had reserved was not ready. We were the guests who did not see the note on our door for two days, that's because we felt comfortable enough with the security and price of the room that we left our belongings in the room and truck parked out front and took a bus to Tikal. Ironically, if Stefanie had come twenty minutes later, the room would have been hers. Timing is everything and I'm sure they found another occupant, but I don't like to inconvenience anyone.

Iguana was an excellent option and even though we tend not to stay in places with shared bathrooms/showers, they were plentiful and kept very clean at all times and were were had no complaints. Yes, they're outside, but it's just a few feet and not a problem. Really, if this is your biggest complaint in Central America, you are doing great! The rooms were large, the beds were comfortable (we got a double rather than staying in one of the dorms, which looked nice enough), the owners were very pleasant as was the entire staff. Hot water, wifi, fan, security during the night-time hours and secure during the day, we left with absolutely no complaints after a week or so off and on in the hostel.

Copan is a very nice little town and Iguana is within walking distance to everything, but not located where noise is going to be an issue. We would be more than happy to stay there again and apologize to the owners and to Stefanie for not having made clear our plans to keep the room (or make other arrangements) even while we were gone for a couple days. Hope this helps make up for the bad review and experience by the other traveler—it really is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tope2012
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Iguana Azul has been voted one of the best hostels in the world....it's an almost deserved accolade.
Rooms and dorms are clean with comfortable mattresses, it's quiet, there's a good sitting area, decent wi-fi, excellent hot showers and spotless toilets and lots of useful information and help to visit the ruins and other nearby attractions. Only small grumbles...why can't I be trusted with my own key? And we really like to wake up and smell the coffee. It's not everyone's top priority, but for us to feel at home in a hostel we really love to have a kitchen area where we can make a drink in the morning rather than have to get ready and walk into town. But don't let my petty grumbles put you off...Iguana Azul is an excellent hostel at the right price in a wonderful town.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeremyandpaula
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Perfexct place to stay. Just out of the busy part of town but walking distance (a whole 2 blocks). Large rooms, large common area and nice outdoor space. Provides lockers with locks for valuables and a security guard at night. Newer looking and a great facility. Bring soap for hand washing, the only down side.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends