“Wonderful small hotel”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Boston, MA
“Wonderful small hotel”
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This is a lovely place. The rooms are beautiful, and everyone is very friendly. Also, the breakfast in the little cafe is delicious and filling. Heinz and Rina were gracious and helpful in every possible way - from helping us with transportation to finding a guide to offering tea upon our arrival.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Toronto
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Great place...

Rooms were large, clean and comfortable
Staff was very friendly and helpful
Nice little cafe on site
Great location

My only (very minor) complaint would be that the WiFi signal wasn't strong enough to use inside the rooms, but it worked fine in the common areas.

If you are staying in Copán, stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I spent a delightful week at Yat B'alam while touring the area with my friend. We both enjoyed spotlessly clean rooms, comfortable beds and hot water. The gift shops were lovely and the breakfast/lunch nook very pleasant. Best of all, the owners and staff were always very helpful. They assisted with day trip recommendations, guides and "moto" drivers. Rina even provided us with a bottle of rum because she was worried that the band playing on the street might keep us awake! (It didn't.) One word of advice...there are only four rooms, so book early!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Corte Madera
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is the second year I have stayed at Yat B'alam while attending a conference in Honduras. It is a lovely place to stay in Copan. The personal attention by every member of the staff is absolutely outstanding. One night I returned from a long conference day to find a complimentary bowl of fresh fruit in the refrigerator. Rina is so personable and friendly, and everyone there cares deeply that your experience is excellent. The room was great, the hotel is centrally located, and I always felt very well taken care of. They even remembered my sensitivity to fragrances and washed all the bedding specially for me without my asking (I had forgotten to remind them). I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
hanoi
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I came to Copan Ruinas with my mother and partner. Im a backpacker and usually stay in much cheaper accommodation but wanted my mother to be comfortable for our trip. Well she certainly was at Yat Balam. Everything about this little hotel is excellent. We had a spacious, beautifully decorated double room on the second floor with a balcony. I was initally concerned that the room would be noisy because it over looked the road, but the windows are virtually sound proof and we had no problems at all. The attention to detail was impressive and the staff attended to every need. The staff in the small cafe on site were happy to bring food up to us when asked and we could borrow DVDs whenever we liked from a selection at the front desk. The hotel is obviously new so everything in the room was still in perfect condition. It is common in Honduras for the electricity to go out for several hours and i have become accustomed to this, but when the electricity went off the generator kicked in almost immediately. (This is rare in Honduras!) The room was cleaned every day, new towels, bed made, toiletries replenished... basically everything you would expect from a much more expensive place to stay. For $65 a night you cannot go wrong with Yat Balam. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel.

Copan Ruinas is a very small town and this hotel is right in the centre and you can easily walk to the ruins within 30 minutes. I would not recommend anyone to use the travel agency opposite the hotel (no connection to the hotel at all). We bought bus tickets for a tourist shuttle to take us back to San Pedro Sula the morning of my mothers international flight home. The agency sold us the tickets and told us the bus left at 6am. They picked us up just before 6 and took us to the local bus station to get a local bus that was leaving an hour later! I was so panicked that we would miss the flight, even having allowed plenty of time for a delay, because the local buses make many stops, that we had to ask some random local to take us all the way there for $70 in his pick up truck!

Yat Balam is perfect for everyone except those on a really tight budget. Thank you for a great stay. I hope to see you again some day and recommend that you set up more hotels like this across Honduras!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I just spent two weeks in Honduras and our stay at Yat B'alam was unbelievable. When we arrived they greeted us by name, which instantly made us feel welcome. This is a small hotel, four rooms, which keeps it feeling much like a home away from home. Our room was perfect, a queen bed, sitting area, TV....and yes, an AIR CONDITIONER! It had a small balcony that overlooked the cobblestone street, which was perfect for watching the Independence Day parade. There is also an outdoor seating area upstairs that overlooks the street where you can sit and read, have a drink, etc.

We ended up eating at the cafe on the first floor because the breakfasts were just so good. This was the best baleada (sp?) I had in all of Honduras! The gift shops also had a great selection of nicer items, pewter, candles, etc. I'm only disappointed that we didn't buy all of our souvenirs here since what we found in the rest of the country was not nearly the same quality.

We asked for recommendations on the first day for a guide to the ruins and got a great recommendation for a man named Saul. Be sure to ask for their recommendations for restaurants, tours, etc., the were very helpful and helped us discover things we otherwise would have never experienced.

As a side note, a few must see's in the area, The Ruins, Macaw Mountain, ziplining.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lausanne
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel from wensday to friday, and i was amazed at the details and the care of the staff. It was a pleasure staying in this hotel, in this wonderfull location that is copan.
If you stay in this hotel for atleast 1 night, u have to try their baleadas for breakfast in the very quaint Cafe they have on the ground flour.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business