“I signed up to TripAdvisor.Com solely to recommend this hotel - enough said!”

and 1 more site!
Yat B'alam Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I signed up to TripAdvisor.Com solely to recommend this hotel - enough said!”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

This is THE place to stay in Copan Ruinas. The hotel is small (4 rooms, i think), but the service and value is enourmous. The owner, Hugo, and his wife, Reyna, are exceptional hosts. Heinz was very helpful too and helped organize activities/tours.

Staff/Service
Top notch all the way! With four rooms I suppose it is easy for them to know all their guests, but even so - we felt incredibly welcome and comfortable here. Everyone who worked there was kind and over the top helpful. The owners were especially fantastic because American Airlines lost my wife's luggage on the way down to Honduras from the US. The owners of Y'at Balam probably made 5 or 6 different calls to the airline during the several days in an effort to track it down. They eventually were able to get us reconnected to our bag. This freed us up to explore the city and not deal with that headache. There is also a night security guard that stands downstairs all night. Although the city didn't seem dangerous to us (especially after being there a few nights) it is still very comforting to have someone on patrol 24/7.

Room
We stayed in room #1 which had a balcony that over looked the street below and the hills in the distance. I believe all four of the rooms were on the second level. There was a king bed and two smaller day beds/couches. The rooms are very clean and very comfortable. The sound proof windows were great because otherwise everytime a rundown car drove by or the bar down the block cranked up it's radio we would've woken up. The windows also had black out blinds that made sleeping in easy. The AC cranked out cold air, there was a TV/DVD (didnt use it though), a nice private in-room bathroom and the showers were hot...what more can you ask for?

Dining/Shops
They have a little cafe downstairs. We would usually grab a coffee and small sandwich in the mornings. Very tasty and very inexpensive. It's not really a dinner place but perfect for breakfast or lunch or just a cold beer. There were also some very nice small shops on the bottom floor.

Recap: This place was a great find...Stay here, you wont be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Excellent hotel. Owner Hugo very friendly, helpful. Great ambiance, room great, very clean. Nice breakfast , lunch cafe. Excellent location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
madrid
Reviewed August 9, 2010

just the best in town. Clean, nice, convenient, good location, It is worth the price.

• Stayed August 2010
ny
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Had a great stay for 2 nights. Reina, the owner, was a doll. They made sure we were happy. The hotel had only 4 rooms. It didn't come with breakfast but it had a lovely cafe to buy some food.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Staying at Yat B'alam was a great experience. As a tourist I did not know what Hotel would be convenient for me but the Yat B'alam was highly recommended. Once I stayed I felt as If I was at home! The service they offered was great, everyone was extremely friendly, were all able to assist me and answer any types of questions I had. The mini cafeteria down stairs served great food and had great prices as I ate I was take care of business back at home since the Hotel provides Wi-Fi which I think I personally think is great! In my case I have trouble sleeping and accommodating to any place at night but the beds in Yat B'alam was more then enough to have me going to sleep within 5 minutes. This hotel is highly recommended to everyone who is looking for a cozy hotel. The size is not all that big but they provide everything it is that you need, boutiques to buy souvenirs for family members back at home, a cafeteria in which serves great food, Cultural figures and history of Mayans to guide you, and most importantly great customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
near NYC
Reviewed July 26, 2010

After driving the winding road in the dark for what it felt like hours, we arrived at Yat B'alam quite late. The owner or the manager was waiting for us outside to help us into our room. Very nice and friendly. The hotel is very charming with a terra cotta roof top, rot iron details to the windows and beautiful tile works on the floor and the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and room immaculately clean and well decorated. Suspect the owner himself or he hired a true decorator as color of the wood, and bedding were very beautifully selected.

The town itself reminded us of Spain. Cobble streets, quaint shops and restaurants.
Nice view of clouds suspended on the roof / tree tops.

We did not spend too much time there but wish we could have.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My family and I stayed here for two nights during a trip to Honduras and Nicaragua. It was the best place we stayed the entire trip.

The rooms are lovely and the staff very friendly and helpful. They really seem to enjoy what they do in providing an excellent place. The attention to detail and care shows in the rooms and throughout the hotel, in the balconies and the small water features with flowers and candles. Just a lovely place. It would do well for couples or families.

• Stayed June 2010