“Charming Surprise!”

and 1 more site!
Yat B'alam Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a wonderful experience! The Yat Balam is tucked away on its own little street. It has a charming little cafe and several beautiful gift shops on its own courtyard street. The entrance is decorated with beautiful colorful flowers. The steps up to the rooms are so picturesque. The room was very large and clean. We loved the shower! We felt like we were showering outside in the fresh air yet it was totally private. Rena was darling. She greeted us with so much charm and enthusiasm. Her husband was extremely helpful with our bus connections to La Ceiba. We had to get to La Ceiba by 3:30 to connect with the ferry to Utila. He made several phone calls for us and then personally took us to the bus terminal to confirm our arrangements. He also arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 5:30 in the morning to take us to the bus. We loved staying there. It was a magical experience. Rick & Jan, San Diego, CA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Yat B'alam Boutique Hotel

Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a nice little gem! There's not much more that can be added to the legions of happy guests who have reviewed Yat B'Alam other that to say THIS is the right way to locate, outfit, and operate a small hotel. Period.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed in at least 7 different hotels in Copan and I'm not sure what took me so long to try Yat B'alam. What a perfectly amazing little place! The staff was wonderfully accommodating and friendly, the rooms were immaculate, clean and comfortable, I enjoyed the best shower I've ever had in Honduras, and the location is perfect. Nice touches and amenities like sound proof windows, fridges in the room, and a little sitting area upstairs with rocking chairs. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Copan Ruinas is a small town within walking distance of the Copan archeaological site. Yat B'alam is only a block off the central plaza, making it very convenient for exploring the town and the Mayan ruins. The rooms are spectacular -- mine had a balcony overlooking the street -- being well-appointed and large. The staff are friendly and the caafe on the lower level offers great breakfasts. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Found this place to be absolutely perfect. A small hotel with only 4 rooms but there is such pride taken by the owners that staying anywhere else would be a mistake. Beautifully furnished, very clean with everything you need to have a lovely stay in Copan. Reena, the owner is always ready to help with any questions you may have and make you feel so very welcome. Wonderful spot to stay to experience Honduran history and people. Make sure you visit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are upstairs and it feels like home. Not a bad room to be had.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm not sure I have much to add to the terrific reviews received for this small inn.What makes this little inn special is truly, as others have said, the owners and the staff. Such genuine friendliness.I am still smiling about my stay. For instance, I became fascinated by the Lencan jewelry and pottery in one of the shops downstairs. And they took the time to tell me all about it, how it was made, where it was made etc. Additionally the help with the transportation back to Antigua, was above and beyond. The welcome fruit plate was perfect. And such a nice surprise.
The inn has a wonderful location, just a block or so from the town square and a very short walk (2 minutes maybe) to numerous restaurants.
It only has 4 rooms, up on the second floor- 2 on the street and 2 at the back. They are placed around an attractive open air patio with plants and comfortable seating. The down stairs is given over to 3 shops with high quality Honduran merchandise (not the typical tourist stuff), so do stop in the shops also.
The rooms are simple ( and very clean), with tiled floors and high wood ceiling with fans. Plus all are air conditioned- welcome after a hot day at the ruins. My room was somewhat small (room 3) with 2 double beds.It might have been a bit small for 2 of us (my husband has a habit of exploding out of his suitcase), and there is always the problem of where to put suitcases, which few places have resolved very well. But for me-traveling alone this trip- it was just perfect. (I believe the rooms on the street side were a bit bigger and have larger windows) My room had one smallish window, but oddly that didn't bother me at all, I just went out on the patio- which I pretty much had to myself most of the time. And if not, the patio is a lovely place to say hello to your fellow travelers. Each room had a small refrigerator, which was welcome to keep my water cold. A small hanging space was also provided which was more than adequate.
The bathroom was also small, although the shower was a very comfortable size with good pressure and hot water, with shampoos and the usual amenities.Please note that there is no hairdryer though if this is important to you.. Again, simple but very adequate. The beds, linens and pillows were quite comfortable and, one of my constant gripes about hotels- the lack bedside lighting- was not a problem and the bedside light was adequate for reading.
I only have 2 comments.Both more personal to me. I think I would recommend just having a hairdryer behind the front desk if someone really wants one to use. Secondly, and this is again personal to me, I would have loved to see just a bit of local color in the rooms. A throw on the bed, a pillow or something incorporating the beauty of the local craft men..
All in all, Yat Balam is a lovely place at a very good value, which will make you feel exceptionally welcomed.
A thank you to my hosts.I hope to return.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms facing the street are somewhat bigger. (Room #1 and ?). Room #3 is the most priv...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rebmax
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our Copan experience was greatly enhanced by the Yat B’alam hospitality. The lobby of the charming four-room hotel, looks like a street, lined by a tiny cafeteria with a delectable menu, an attractive gallery and a water fountain that sings all day long. Rina, the owner of Yat B’alam was personally present to enthusiastically welcome us. Her gorgeous smile lights up the place and her attention to detail is evident in every single item on display and use.

Room Tip: Room number 1
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family