“A terrific little place with fabulous people”

Yat B'alam Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Copan
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm not sure I have much to add to the terrific reviews received for this small inn.What makes this little inn special is truly, as others have said, the owners and the staff. Such genuine friendliness.I am still smiling about my stay. For instance, I became fascinated by the Lencan jewelry and pottery in one of the shops downstairs. And they took the time to tell me all about it, how it was made, where it was made etc. Additionally the help with the transportation back to Antigua, was above and beyond. The welcome fruit plate was perfect. And such a nice surprise.
The inn has a wonderful location, just a block or so from the town square and a very short walk (2 minutes maybe) to numerous restaurants.
It only has 4 rooms, up on the second floor- 2 on the street and 2 at the back. They are placed around an attractive open air patio with plants and comfortable seating. The down stairs is given over to 3 shops with high quality Honduran merchandise (not the typical tourist stuff), so do stop in the shops also.
The rooms are simple ( and very clean), with tiled floors and high wood ceiling with fans. Plus all are air conditioned- welcome after a hot day at the ruins. My room was somewhat small (room 3) with 2 double beds.It might have been a bit small for 2 of us (my husband has a habit of exploding out of his suitcase), and there is always the problem of where to put suitcases, which few places have resolved very well. But for me-traveling alone this trip- it was just perfect. (I believe the rooms on the street side were a bit bigger and have larger windows) My room had one smallish window, but oddly that didn't bother me at all, I just went out on the patio- which I pretty much had to myself most of the time. And if not, the patio is a lovely place to say hello to your fellow travelers. Each room had a small refrigerator, which was welcome to keep my water cold. A small hanging space was also provided which was more than adequate.
The bathroom was also small, although the shower was a very comfortable size with good pressure and hot water, with shampoos and the usual amenities.Please note that there is no hairdryer though if this is important to you.. Again, simple but very adequate. The beds, linens and pillows were quite comfortable and, one of my constant gripes about hotels- the lack bedside lighting- was not a problem and the bedside light was adequate for reading.
I only have 2 comments.Both more personal to me. I think I would recommend just having a hairdryer behind the front desk if someone really wants one to use. Secondly, and this is again personal to me, I would have loved to see just a bit of local color in the rooms. A throw on the bed, a pillow or something incorporating the beauty of the local craft men..
All in all, Yat Balam is a lovely place at a very good value, which will make you feel exceptionally welcomed.
A thank you to my hosts.I hope to return.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms facing the street are somewhat bigger. (Room #1 and ?). Room #3 is the most priv...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rebmax

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our Copan experience was greatly enhanced by the Yat B’alam hospitality. The lobby of the charming four-room hotel, looks like a street, lined by a tiny cafeteria with a delectable menu, an attractive gallery and a water fountain that sings all day long. Rina, the owner of Yat B’alam was personally present to enthusiastically welcome us. Her gorgeous smile lights up the place and her attention to detail is evident in every single item on display and use.

Room Tip: Room number 1
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SunShinde
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a wonderful small hotel because of the great hospitality from Rina, her husband and staff. They are genuinely friendly and helpful with anything that you need. We came to Honduras for the first time and were treated very well. It was much more than just having a room to sleep in. We would love to come back to Copan and would stay at Yat Balam again.

Room Tip: Use Room number 1 - it has a queen bed, two twin beds and a balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived from Antigua to Copan. Rina let us check in early and greeted us with her lovely smile and was so welcoming and helpful. Our room was lovely and clean and spacious and has a lovely balcony. Rina even provides DVD's if you get bored. The hotel does not provide breakfast but the cafe has a fantastic breakfast and lunch range which includes vegetarian choices.

All the staff in the hotel where very helpful. Rina wanted feedback on the hotel before we left but to be honest I cannot really fault this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Londongirl132
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I had an excellent stay in Yat B'alam beginning with the first impression (decor and quaintness) and ending with Hugo's advice on how to navigate from Copan to Antigua,Guatamala.
The rooms are very beautiful as is the rest of the hotel and it's conveniently located within easy walking distance from Parque Central and all it has to offer. I'd definitely recommend Yat B'alam to anyone interested in visiting Copan. It costs a bit more than some of the other hotels in town but it's well worth the price!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mac32931
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I loved my stay at Yat B'alam. This is a small, cosy hotel, with just 4 rooms and it provides a truly boutique experience as well as a very personal touch. The design is great and the rooms beautiful and spacious. The rooms and the entire hotel are extremely clean. The owner Rina is very nice and hospitable and the staff is also very friendly and helpful. The breakfast (which was not included) was delicious and served with a friendly smile. It is very centrally located, just a block or 2 from the main square.

On the first floor there is a very nice area where you can sit and relax, read a book or enjoy the great view on the mountains.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and to be honest there was nothing I disliked.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FreekAmsterdam
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Two friends and I enjoyed a very relaxing and refreshing stay at Yat B'alam. Rina is most helpful and welcoming, providing great information about the town and the ruins, even helping us to arrange a guide for the ruins and take-away sandwiches for our long bus journey to El Salvador. The room was beautiful, spacious and had a balcony, and the shower was hot - the first time I've felt really clean for months! We borrowed a movie from reception which was a nice treat. Travelling on a budget, we decided to splurge for a couple of nights and it was well worth it, while not breaking the bank. The room was cleaned to perfection on the second day with fresh toiletries and towels. The cafe also provides a good breakfast with friendly and helpful staff. Thank you for making us feel so welcome!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends