“Cheap & Cheery”
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at Trudy's Hotel for almost two weeks and had a blast! the staff were always friendly, it was a really fun & social place too, with beach volley ball comps, good food & fun place to start a night out. I did my Advanced diving certification there with underwater vision & absolutely loved the experience! I'll be staying at Trudy's again for sure when I'm back in Utila !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheridan G

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at Trudy's for a week, had a great laugh with the people there and some of the dive instructors however, did feel very pushed when I first arrived to complete a full dive course (somehting I turned down repeatedly). You get what you pay for really..no air con abd appauling fans in the $5/$8 dorms ($5 in your friends are diving). You can't have a bar tab and money has to be loaded onto your tab before you can eat or drink...waking up with a hangover (guaranteed on Utila) and realising you spent your money is therefore worse here than other hostels as you have to trek the 7 min walk for cash in the heat without water. The kitchen is ill equipped and shoddy but the mini beach and pier as superb :) If you stay a few days you can go snorkelling for free. The staff when you can get their attention are usually pretty good...a lovely guy who was staff or a friend of theirs picked me up some anti-histomines..thank you to you if you read this

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

There are many mixed reviews here, I think it depends on the type of room you stay in. Mine was a 2 bed/1bath, we had ac and a ceiling fan. the room was small, but we spend hardly any time in it so it was more then acceptable, it was pretty cheap as well. The view from the porch outside my room felt like a piece of paradise ( to be fair my room was the closest to the water, but its pretty similar to the others, especially if on the second floor)
The little bar beneath the diving school has very affordable food, plus there is a little bodega just across from the property that has fruit and drinks.
The staff (both of trudy's and underwater vision) were both very accommodating, as well as friendly.
Someone mentioned "cheap but ordinary". This is somewhat accurate, but I don't think theres anything fancy on this island, its different the Roatan, its much more budget friendly. The setting of the property is pretty attractive as well. Its easy to mix with the other visitors, whether it be playing volleyball, laying in a hammock, laying on the dock, or having a drink at the bar. If you can afford it, I think its definitely worth spending the few extra dollars for the double with a/c.
It was my first time on the island so its hard to compare the other dive shops/hotels, but I would certainly recommend both without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dr3740
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We decided to stay there because of the diving school but I was surprise by a lot of things.

First their rooms are small, 2 bunk beds but only one fan... Utila is a very hot island!
Second, only two restrooms with shower but nothing more, so when you need to go and the showers are occupied you better have a large blader!
Third, the room we stayed in was clean a few days before our arrivak with stuff for bed bugs, that's a good thing, but hat stuff is so powerfull it's smell really bad. But they rent the room anyway. I slept on the chair outside because I had headache and neausea, the next morning we asked to change room but it took almost 5 hours to get a new one... and they rent the room to different people at night.

The place have a great location and good food. A pooltable and a nice place to have lunch.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank driann4
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Dorms are veryyy cramped, mosquito infested and sheets were either unwashed or badly blood stained, our one and only fan did not work and shared toilet's were constantly dirty and blocked up. I've previously stayed in over 15 hostel dorm's and this takes the cake of one the most unbearable. After our night there we shopped around and inspected pretty much every other available apartments/hostels/rooms on the island and found some great places. Staff are very friendly and helpful but would recommend spending a lil extra elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lilaussiebattler
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I loved the diving experience, everytime i go to Utila don't think twice about where i'm going to stay! Love the place, the people and the food!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Pattydac83
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Thanks to Tamara for making sure that everyone is taken care of at this hostel. Good value on the PADI certification/accommodation deal. The diving side of things was great, Lucas was our instructor and was both professional and fun. Often, there are planned boat trips out to Water Caye. This is a must. This dive shop attracts a fun, young group of tourists, some who never want to leave, and many that return to this spot year after year. Utila is a great island to visit in this part of the world, just remember the three lies of the island: I love you, I'm not drinking tonight, and I'm leaving tomorrow. Have fun!!

Room Tip: Dorms are included at zero cost while doing a PADI course, and $5 USD each night after for as long a...