“Cheap but ordinary”
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We decided to stay there because of the diving school but I was surprise by a lot of things.

First their rooms are small, 2 bunk beds but only one fan... Utila is a very hot island!
Second, only two restrooms with shower but nothing more, so when you need to go and the showers are occupied you better have a large blader!
Third, the room we stayed in was clean a few days before our arrivak with stuff for bed bugs, that's a good thing, but hat stuff is so powerfull it's smell really bad. But they rent the room anyway. I slept on the chair outside because I had headache and neausea, the next morning we asked to change room but it took almost 5 hours to get a new one... and they rent the room to different people at night.

The place have a great location and good food. A pooltable and a nice place to have lunch.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank driann4

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Dorms are veryyy cramped, mosquito infested and sheets were either unwashed or badly blood stained, our one and only fan did not work and shared toilet's were constantly dirty and blocked up. I've previously stayed in over 15 hostel dorm's and this takes the cake of one the most unbearable. After our night there we shopped around and inspected pretty much every other available apartments/hostels/rooms on the island and found some great places. Staff are very friendly and helpful but would recommend spending a lil extra elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lilaussiebattler
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I loved the diving experience, everytime i go to Utila don't think twice about where i'm going to stay! Love the place, the people and the food!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Pattydac83
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Thanks to Tamara for making sure that everyone is taken care of at this hostel. Good value on the PADI certification/accommodation deal. The diving side of things was great, Lucas was our instructor and was both professional and fun. Often, there are planned boat trips out to Water Caye. This is a must. This dive shop attracts a fun, young group of tourists, some who never want to leave, and many that return to this spot year after year. Utila is a great island to visit in this part of the world, just remember the three lies of the island: I love you, I'm not drinking tonight, and I'm leaving tomorrow. Have fun!!

Room Tip: Dorms are included at zero cost while doing a PADI course, and $5 USD each night after for as long a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melanie604
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I arrived on a Thursday and had only a short amount of time I could spend on the island. They helped me out big time, making arrangements for me to start my Open Water certification that day.

I've checked out some other spots on the island, and obviously there are many great places to go. But you won't be disappointed if you choose Trudy's. And my diving experience was excellent. I am so thankful that Underwater Vision was so accomodating for me.

The rooms were great and the people were fun.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Becky B
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My first three nights have been on an other placed and than I moved over to Trudy's and Underwatervision (that's the dive center of trudy's) and it's really the best place to stay. I stayed 10 nights and I was a short term. Most of the people stay at least 3 weeks or longer.

the location is really good, clean and comfortable. the staffs are also very friendly and helpful, no matter the restaurant girls or the dive staffs.

As I was diving almost everyday they tried to not go to the same dive sites again, where I have already been, which was very nice as they also had to check with their courses.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Verena R
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I traveled to Utila a few weeks ago with two good friends to complete our Open Water PADI certification. We stayed in a 2 bunk (4 bed) room at Hotel Trudy's and dove with the affiliated Underwater Vision dive company. It was phenomenal! The rooms was so-so, but the price (free while completing certification) couldn't be beat. The courtyard was great and dive sites off the island were amazing. Our divemaster for training had safety as his number one priority, and fun as his second. He was very friendly, patient, and knowledgeable. I'm planning on coming back next year to spend a couple of weeks diving with them. If you're going to Utila, stay here!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Blake K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
Sea Eye Resort
#5 of 14 in Utila
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Trudy's Hotel? Share your experiences!