“Loved it!”
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Utila
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
“Loved it!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I just got back from Utila today. Spent a week in another hotel and had terrible customer service and it was pricey! (for what ever it was really worth). Then I decided to check out this place. The rooms are simple yet comfortable. It has the friendliest staff you can get. Nice kosher bar to hang out and meet people from all around the globe. Great diving and really affordable prices. Me and my partner had a great time there. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elton h

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 15, 2011

we read a lot of reviews prior to getting to Utila. we had noticed previous reviews here about running out of air but we stayed after we decided we liked the feel. No one ran out of air in fact we felt that safety was a priority here and we were often asked about our air during the dives.

our instructor sveta was very thorough and focused on safety. we felt that the air conditioning was a necessity and the air conditioned rooms were clean and well maintained though simple and a good value. We did an open water certificate as well as night dives and would recommend this dive shop/accomodations. also good food available for purchase at the bar--would recommend the french toast for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank elliek2011
Utila, Honduras
Reviewed May 21, 2011

underwater vision/hotel trudy's, made my travels. 10 months on the road - my stay at the best dive shop and venue on the island will stay with me the rest of my days. it is filled with confident and avid staff who embrace newcomers to the water and experienced divers. the staff are travellers from across the globe and their love for the water comes through in their teaching and demeanor. it is extremely lively, with a beautiful new dock where people gather to play music in the evenings and have a beer. friendly bar staff and a great volleyball court. if you go to utila....there really is no other place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank portiadive
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 20, 2011

When I can to Utila I did what I always do. Look around for what seams to suit me best. Once I walked into Hotel Trudy I instantly got a good wibe, and it only got better.
I stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks and also did a fair share of diving. I took my PADI course and also the advanced course. The instructoros and divemasters I was diving with were very professional and there was always time for fun and games. I really want to point out that the safety procedures they follow with diving were impressive.
The hotel is very nice and clean and during the courses you are offered free accomodation in the dorms.
I will definitly come back and continue my diveeducation.

Room Tip: Stay in the dorms,
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank flipfloptraveller08
ely245
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Trudy's and learned to dive with Underwater Vision this past April during the "Semana Santa" and had a fantastic time!

Both businesses have recently been remodeled with the added extension of a dock and sun deck, bar and restaurant and also brand new dive equipment. The hotel offers a variety of different types of accommodations varying in price that would fit just about everyone's budget. All of the rooms are cleaned regularly and has arguably the best hot water showers on the island. The resort offers their guests dive, snorkel and whale shark excursions, free Wi-Fi, beach volleyball, shared guest kitchen, hammocks, great sundeck, and theme nights at the bar.

If we ever return to Utila, we will definitely stay no where else than with Hotel Trudy’s and dive with Underwater Vision.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ely245
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I stayed 7 days and recommend the hotel but not the dive shop.

The hotel is in a great location - easy walk to plenty of restaurants, bars, shopping, dive shops, yet removed enough that it is peaceful enough to nap in a hammock during the day and is very quiet at night (and I am a light sleeper). The outdoor restaurant/bar was great. The food was good, they had coffee (great for those early morning dives!), and it was quite the social hub. I was traveling alone and it was very easy to make friends here as there were lots of other very friendly travelers from around the world in their 20's/30's. I had a private upstairs room closest to ocean (it had 2 single beds). The shower had hot water all the time. When the power went out the hotel had a generator for the bar/restaurant. The staff was very friendly (except for the gal who worked the restaurant/bar who was local. I tried to be nice. I always tipped really really really well. But she was never kind to me or anyone else. But I can also understand where she is coming from.) My major problem: I did not have room service (as in basic cleaning) the entire time (7 nights). I'm not kidding. I even asked management about it - they promised to send someone to my room but it never happened. Luckily the second bed in the room was unused so after a few nights I switched to the other bed. When I am paying $25 per night per room for an oceanfront hotel am more than happy that I have a room with hot water, AC, and no insects. (I am absolutely terrified of spiders and the room was really clean with no bugs (I looked under the bed and in the corners) and I never had to use my mosquito net). But seriously, I expected housekeeping at least every other night. I was informed that housekeeping will refuse to clean any room that they deem too dirty. My room wasn't exactly super clean and some sand got tracked in, but at the very least I wanted a clean towel and my sheets changed every few days. Nope. Didn't happen - even after multiple requests. But I would still stay here again.

The dive shop. That's another story.
Although I had my Advanced cert. I only had 15 dives prior to diving with the dive shop associated with Trudy's. Running out of air on a dive was absolutely unheard of with other shops. However, on my first dive with this shop half the group ran out of air. I was later informed that this is normal for them as they feel that there is no need to cut a dive short for others when buddy breathing can be done. No, that is not okay! Although I stayed with this hotel I never did another dive with their shop. I dove with three other shops during my Honduras trip and they were all safety conscious.
I would stay with the hotel, but wouldn't dive with their shop.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank coratraveler
san francisco
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This place certifies a lot of new divers. Things are relatively safe if you are diving with an instructor, but somewhat inexperienced divemasters make the 'fun dives' a little bit edgy.
Add to that rental gear that is constantly being used by beginners (faulty depth gages, inaccurate pressure gages, hard to operate BCD inflators, etc.) and you get a recipe for near disaster.

While I was diving there almost everyday there was someone who ran out of air underwater (in all of my 50+ previous dives, I've never seen that happen), in some instances two or three people in the same group ran out of air, indicating that the divemaster did not plan properly. It seems like they are under pressure (no pun intended) to make the dives last as long as possible. At no point was there an agreement on what the 'low air pressure' at which the dive is terminated (usually 50bar ~/ 700 psi) which meant often people were sharing air by the end of the dive, and about half of the divers would surface with less than 300psi, which is below what DAN recommends!!

Anyway, place is great to stay, atmosphere is awesome and people are great, but after you finish your course or if you're there just for fun diving, make sure you're extra careful!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank phaidonx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
Coral View Beach Resort
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 14 in Utila

Been to Trudy's Hotel? Share your experiences!