Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Second Time at Utila Dive Center

This is my second time taking a class and diving with Utila Dive Center. My second time was an even... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
RTud11
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
via mobile
YAY DIVING! 1000% Recommended

The dive center was everything I could ask for. I started with my advanced with Lucas as my... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Robb W

1,507 results
All reviews mango open water dive center top notch safety stop instructor development fun diving the entire staff super fun these guys marine life underwater world amazing instructor diving experience lion fish laid back north side
Selected filters
Reviewed June 11, 2021

When planning my trip to Utila, I came across a ton of dive shops but ultimately chose UDC because of their eco-programs and focus. Being short on time, I only had the chance to do 2 fun dives and the Caribbean Dolphin Awareness Course. Both were super fun!

I got sick during my travels unfortunately and wasn't super excited about starting my fun dives on the first morning. I told the woman at the front desk about this and she wasn't very friendly nor welcoming so I almost turned back to the hotel. But shortly after my dive instructor Chris introduced himself and he was awesome and made me feel much better about continuing the dive! Once on the boat and with seasickness kicking in, everyone on the boat was super helpful and kind about helping me out. (Thanks to Jono for getting me water!) Chris was really great about checking in on me during the dive and making sure I was feeling ok. Even though I felt disgusting and kind of worthless, it was still a fun diving day and there was definitely a nice community feeling on the boat!

The following days I did the Caribbean Dolphin Awareness Course led by Alex. Being an ocean lover, the last thing I want to do while near the water is to sit inside a classroom but Alex made the course material super informative and fun at the same time! I learned a lot more about dolphins that I had previously known and it was really cool getting insight on dolphins within that particular area. The next day we did a boat run to spot some dolphins but we weren't so lucky. We also did 2 dives which were pretty cool. Being a big nerd that is always asking questions, it was super awesome diving with Alex who is a marine biologist! Another diver was interested in tiny creatures and I wanted to learn more about the health of the coral, so he was constantly pointing stuff out and describing things on a clipboard. I loved it and it was a great experience! Only downside is that now I only want to dive with a marine biologist so I can bother them with tons of questions in the future!

All in all, UDC may be one of my favorite dive shops. It has a college campus type vibe to it which is quite nice. Almost everyone I met there was genuinely friendly! Both my dive instructors, Chris and Alex, were just really fun, sweet, and smart people to be around! Highly recommend!

1  Thank Jimbobsister
Reviewed June 9, 2021

UDC- is commonly referred to as the “Farm” is an Dive center that is primarily focused on dive master/Instructor school.
Excellent staff and organized Dive school.

However, IMO “AVOID UDC” if you are a certified diver looking for a dive shop to go recreation diving.
Dive boats leave early at 7:30 and 1PM and are always 2 dives. (No single dive trips). Since you will be students, the dives are boring and shallow. Most dives less than 60 max depth, and my 12 afternoon dives average less than 30 feet for the dives. Again, great for training- not recommended for FUN dives

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
MktManagerUDC, Manager at Utila Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2021

Thank you for your review Robert.

We appreciate the feedback and the positive comments! We pride ourselves on our organization and having the most experienced team of instructors and guides in the region, and so its great to hear that came across throughout your training with us!

While the "farm" note is less than ideal, we do recognize that we've been the most successful Career Development Center in the Caribbean for over 2 decades with an established reputation for preparing the most competent dive professionals in the industry, and so of course we have quite the alumni and former student base around the world!

I'm sorry to hear that your recreational training experience failed to meet your expectations! As you were on a series of specialty courses, our focus is going to the dive sites best suited to each training module. We have a dedicated morning Resort Boat that is separate to our training boats that all our experienced fun divers are able to join as well, seperate from our courses that goes to the best dive sites in the North Side every day so this may be a better option for you in the future!

As our main focus is your safety and comfort, and you were doing quite a few dives with us, the afternoon dives are typically shallower profiles to ensure that every diver is staying within the appropriate limits, not overextending themselves and risking potential medical issues.

We hope to have you join us in the future and rest assured we'll do everything we can to provide the same excellent service that we have done for years!

Reviewed June 3, 2021

I had a really great time when doing my dive master training at UDC! Definitely the most professional training dive center I have ever seen. Because of the many other courses taking place at the same time, you can benefit extremely in DM training. If you wanna add other specialties to your portfolio like tec, sidemount, wreck, deep and so on - no problem for UDC! They offer everything here! The atmosphere is very friendly and in the evening you can enjoy a beer with all the international trainees and instructors. Strong recommendation!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 3, 2021

Just finished my advanced course. This island is such a fun yet relaxing vibe! All the teachers were amazing and I’ve definitely made friends for life. Not to mention swimming w dolphins!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 2, 2021

Maca, was the main instructor for me at the dive center and she was fantastic. I was only scheduled to do my open water cert, but every single person with this company where fantastic. So much so, I decided to extend my stay and do my Advanced. It is affordable, the atmosphere is great, and I have nothing bad to say.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction