Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Second Time at Utila Dive Center

This is my second time taking a class and diving with Utila Dive Center. My second time was an even... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
RTud11
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
via mobile
YAY DIVING! 1000% Recommended

The dive center was everything I could ask for. I started with my advanced with Lucas as my... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Robb W

1,507 results
All reviews mango open water dive center top notch safety stop instructor development fun diving the entire staff super fun these guys marine life underwater world amazing instructor diving experience lion fish laid back north side
Selected filters
Reviewed April 29, 2021

My wife and I have been wanting to learn how to scuba dive for a while. However, every time we almost booked scuba training, something stopped us. Either a school was crazy expensive, there were strange vibes, or it lacked structure.

After doing a lot of research we found Utila Dive Center (UDC). We were blown away with their reputation and recommendations from others. On arrival the first thing we noticed was how organized everything was. From signing paperwork, the teaching, gear, boats, and hotel - every detail was expertly handled with an established process.

In the Open Water course our instructors were Mathieu Bourse and James Majtkya. Not only were they fun, they were thorough instructors. We learned so much in just four days. They were patient and seemed to have a third sense if you didn't fully understand a skill or technique. We had such a good time in their class we didn't want the adventure to end. So we enrolled in the Advanced Open Water course the day after.

Our instructors for Advanced were Patrice Dore and John Dewald. In this course everything we learned in the Open Water course clicked. Doing a deep dive, peak buoyancy class, underwater navigation, night dive, and fish ID dive. Patrice was generous with with experience and was easy going in the classroom and water. John also did a great job leading us in the night dive and fish ID dive.

After both out Open Water and Advanced courses we now feel confident to dive anywhere in the world. Which was our goal!

I mean this for all the instructors at UDC. It's one thing to teach skill, but to teach a skill, give your students confidence, AND make your students fall in love scuba is on another level entirely. Seriously, thank you!

Reviewed April 25, 2021 via mobile

I did the emergency first responder course with John and Anton. They did that fantastic, I dont have any complaints. They were structured and professional. The atmosphere were from the beginning until the end terrific. Both of them had also a great Know-how.

Reviewed April 23, 2021

Recommend for first-time dive experience. My spouse and I received both our Open Water and Advanced dive certifications through UDC. We did a lot of homework before choosing a dive school and heard great things about this school and the instructors. UDC is everything you could ask for in a dive school. Clean, organized, comfortable, safe, and most of all, thorough instructors!

We had our Open Water course instructed by Mathieu Bourse and James Majtkya. Both patient, knowledgable, thorough, and great sense of humor. I thought our first sessions would be in a pool, but we got started right off the dock in the beautiful Caribbean. We even spotted a seahorse on day 1! Our open water course with great instructors definitely got us on track to keep learning. We decided shortly after to pursue our Advanced open watercourse as well.

Our advanced open water course instructors were Patrice Dore and John Dewald. In Advanced open water, we honed our buoyancy and became much more skilled divers. We did a deep water dive, night dive, fish Id, and compass navigation. I was feeling a lot more confident in the water by this point. Patrice was a lot of fun in the classroom and made it easy to understand concepts and theory. John was knowledgeable on different sea life and lead us through our fish ID course, as well as our exciting night dive. Very satisfied with our experience at UDC. I look forward to coming back to Utila and continuing on with more courses and fun dives!

Reviewed April 20, 2021

UDC was a perfect choice for my first diving experience! I couldn't have asked for a better time or more professional, fun, entertaining environment. Instructor Mat was hilarious and knowledgeable, and made sure we were all comfortable and safe with our skills practice and diving. UDC was SO helpful with planning too. They helped with recommendations for accommodations and travel, as well as scheduling a COVID test for me when I (sadly) had to return to the states. The 'confined' sessions (usually done in a pool) were done right off the dock in the beautiful Caribbean water. A few people in my group got sick and UDC did everything they could to catch the students up to make sure they got the full experience.

Aside from the practical benefits of choosing UDC, Utila as an island was an cool place to visit. Very small, but very welcoming and beautiful with plenty of places to eat and see. Diving in the coral reefs surrounding the island were so beautiful.

Reviewed April 17, 2021 via mobile

Amazing place with very profesionals instructors/trainers. Ask for Maca, John or Billy (máster divers) and you Will really learn how to dive!

UDC is simply the Best dive center in Town.