“Perfect for our family”
Review of Utila Dive Center

Utila Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: The Utila Dive Centre is an established dive operation and hotel, offering all levels of scuba instruction from beginner to PADI Scuba Instructor, including Tec diving. Utila Dive Centre has been a PADI Career Development Center since 2002 and is the most popular and successful CDC in Central America. We have Instructor level continuing education courses (Specialty Instructor, Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IDC Staff Instructor) and internships that add real value to your training with us.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

UDC was a fun and comfortable place for our 3 teens to earn their PADI certification - combining the warm, clear waters of Utila with a friendly, well-run business. They invited us to call their facility home-base (Thx Rusty) - relaxing in their hammock, swimming, kayaking, deck-lounging, and refueling at their bar and cafe (love the banana bread). The staff members went to notable effort to ensure out kids were thoroughly educated and practiced (Thx Sarah and Ellie). My husband and I felt safe exploring the island while the kids were "in class". . Each of our family dives were rich in sea life (Thx Suzanne and Mark). As a bonus, we frolicked with a pod of dolphins in the open water (Thx Erol). This perfect experience was wrapped up with a fairly-priced DVD of the kids' first dive (Thx Robbie). Be sure to ask for a discount at The Mango Inn, a well-run motel with a refreshing pool and good restaurant.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Thank you for the excellent PADI instruction, Marc and Teres!

Though I did not enjoy my clumsy, long-armed, buyancy-challenged, "dive buddy" of chance, and I missed the sleeping shark that all my fellow divers saw the last day, the experience proved fully satisfying.

I felt safe. I earned my PADI Open Water certification in a four days, and by the fifth day, I felt comfortable diving through a labyrinth of arches, controlling my buoyancy with some degree of confidence. The instructors are professional and personable--they are enthusiastic, patient, and fun. The instruction is clear and methodical. As a teacher myself, I recognize mastery in teaching. They are pros!

The reef is gorgeous--healthy and thriving-- and Marc points out special fish and life within the reef. I must have seen a hundred new forms of life on my four days in the water. Incredible!

1  Thank dancinbuddha
Reviewed July 3, 2013

i'm not sure where to start but all i can say is both times i've been there i've felt like family and come back home with a greater passion and knowledge about diving. My first visit was in June 2012 when i did my idc. my first few hours there on utila i met Andy one of the Best Course Directors ever! he quickly introduced me to Jhair, where to start with Jhair?!?!?! this guy is amazing i may even name my kid after him :).... Jhair made me feel right at home and took me under his wing from day 1, theory was my biggest fear mainly the physics part, Jhair solved all of this with a simple game of tic tac toe (u need to go there yourself and ask Jhair to teach you physics) the idc went wonderful and along the way i made amazing long life friends and became an instructor because of udc.

My second trip was april 2013 to do my MSDT, i was a bit disappointed when i arrived and learnt that Jhair wasn't there but he was in Malaysia becoming a course director (theres nothing this guy cant do) Caught up with Andy who had to leave the island as well. Regardless of my previous mentors and role models not being there i have to say my MSDT was amazing as i met 2 more persons i'd like to follow someday, Mary and Suzy were nothing short of outstanding teachers and mentors, they treated us like family first, students second and customers last. wreck diving, nitrox, well needed O2 provider ;) and my favorite of all i became the youngest and only side mount instructor on my island thanks to Mary's great mentoring and knowledge she shared with us. On this second time around i made another set of life long friends and shared great times. UDC is a great place for diving instructions, i'll definately be back :) Thanks to the Entire UDC Staff and Crew, you guys are the best!!!

1  Thank BelizeProDiveCenter
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I just got home from 3 weeks of diving with UDC and they were they best three weeks that I could have had! From the moment I contacted UDC by email with tons of questions, I received prompt and professional input. (thank you Andy for all your patience and help) My 24 year old son and I took the Rescue Diver course with Sarah as the lead instructor. I learned more in that course than I had in all my others combined. At 61, I wasn't sure the course was for me but Sarah (and Marc and Cheryl) gave me so much encouragement and confidence. The divemaster trainees that helped with the course were also amazing--thanks to the great instruction and training that they were receiving. After finishing the course, my son started the DM program and I continued to do fun dives on the boat Old Tom. The divemasters, mainly Suzanne and Brian, were amazing and fun to dive with. They know the dive sites very well and were willing and able to choose sites to fit the type of diving we wanted to do and find the type of critters we wanted to see.
Back on the dock was a great place to hang out and have a beer after the day of diving. Staff members were always around and ready to share tips and stories with you. I never felt that this was just a job for anyone there--it was their passion and they wanted to share it. The dive shop felt like a community--it was very hard to leave. But I will be back!

3  Thank cowntess
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The tittle says it all. I took my IDC in UDC and all the staff was very professional and well organized. A lot of boats and gear. Not to mention materials developed by UDC to make the courses easier.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank NunoPadrao