“A place to see but never to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utila
Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse
Madrid, España
“A place to see but never to stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

It is the most amazing place to visit during the day as it is a work of art BUT:
1. During the night you have a Bar in the middle of the cabins, therefore people get drunk and scream, vomit or whatever you can imagine on your same door. There is no control from the hotel so people dont go to the place where the cabins are and EVERYBODY (is THE bar in town) goes... so if you are lucky you get to sleep when the bar closes around 3-4 am.

2. They say you have internet. Well this is only partially true. No Cabin gets internet as the wifi signal is not good. Therefore if you want to have internet you have to go outside under the bar (hopefully is not full of people) and try to use it.

3. Everytime you make a reservation you get a different price, if you send an email they tell you is 50 dollars, when you are there they tell you is 60 or sometimes 55, depends on who attends you the morning you want to pay.

4. We stayed for days here with no hot water on the bathroom and absolutely nobody came to fix it for us and give us a solution, and we asked for this at least 3 times
we have been several times in the cabins and before it was better but recently is not good. there are much better places to stay in this island that here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carolina_CC
divequeen19, Manager at Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Up till a month ago we were lucky to have internet ourselves, but thankfully the problem has been fixed.
As for the different prices you get, it's always cheaper if you book online and in advance.
The hot water issue was a one cabin problem, and has also been fixed.

People love it here so much, that it's nearly impossible to get them to leave here on time. We do make a back check and make sure everyone is down from the cabin area at 10pm.

Sincerely....JS staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I am SO glad we stumbled upon The Jade Seahorse during our stay in Honduras. We arrived around 9am, and there wasn't any one at the service desk yet, so we took it upon ourselves to take a look around.

The moment I stepped back into this mosaic wonderland I couldn't help but let out a, "Oh my goodness"...it was the most amazing space I've ever seen! Everywhere you looked there was an interesting piece of artwork and each time you see something new.

The service was very friendly, although it does have "island time" feel when you arrive and no one's there yet! Nevertheless, the people that worked there were very helpful when they were around!

In addition to artwork, they also have jewelry pieces for sale and the Tree Tanic Bar attached, which we went to a couple times and enjoyed a quiet, yet fun & quirky atmosphere.

Definitely a place you want to check out, even if you're not spending the night!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaritaLaGringa
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had heard about the Jade Seahorse, and the first time we visited was at night, but before the clubbing crowd had arrived...it was serene, tranquil...magical! with lovely night breeze through the upper walkways and jungle canopy. We were a bit surprised that no one on staff was around to greet us - but we wandered around on our own and enjoyed the vibe. I am certain it is a very funkadellic place to hang out when the DJ/bartender arrives.... We came back during the day and spent part of the afternoon reading, hanging out and absorbing the atmosphere...it truly is a work of art, labour of love and whimsy...and a unique destination not to be missed. Can't comment on the rooms or restaurant/bar service - but it would be a very cool place to stay, I am sure.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I loved the Jade Seahorse. It is by far the most unique hotel I have ever seen. The grounds are a tourist attraction in themselves. The treetop bar was fun and lively. The rooms are interesting and quirky. Our room was cool, bright, and comfortable. My one complaint here would be that the bathroom was very dark. Overall, I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others. You'll never see anything like it again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mmw2203
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Ok not sure how recent some of the travelers went here, however i did not experience a nice, warm, inviting and comfrotable palce. I am a very relaxed traveler and my expectations were even really high for this place, however I would definietl not stay there again and advise anyon eelse to as well.

The hotel has obviously seen better days. Upkeep was down, everything outside was dirty, and none of the pathways were swept. Normally i don't care about the outside area swept of debris and dirt however since the whole pull of this place was its visual appeal with mosaics, you would think it would be presented better.

The restaurant or whatever is in the main level of the main building was closed and teh women never came down from the window a floor up. We were spoken to through the window all weekend. We did not see a single other person (guests or employee) on the property. Overall it gave off a deserted, creepy feel.

None of the rooms were prepped for our arrival at all. I know this because they let us choose our room, however none of the rooms were that clean. The room we went to had dead bugs along the windows, cockroach feces (?) around the sink and the window curtains did not fully block the windows either. We walked barefoot in our rooms and literally our feet turned black Overall just made us nervous...i didn't bother with complaining as we only had two nights and the locals don't have much pride on cleanliness so we stayed in town as much as possible, and went back to hotel just to sleep.

Throughout the 2 full days as well no one ever asked how things were, offered more water in the room or even really just acknowledged our presence. This hotel needs new management is what I deduced...I hardly doubt the owners actually run it as they would be disgraced at the dinginess of the property as a whole.

Luckily it was 50 bucks a night only, but had I known now I would have stayed among the dock area for 25-30 and actually got clean towels and a greeting from the staff. Truthfully it has serious potential to be a gem again, however I would skip this one. I'll post some pics of the bugs etc i think i took, and of our cockroach poo.

Overall a disappointing way to end our fabulous trip to Utila Island (spent 7 nights at Utopia Village) Swing by to check it out but don't bother staying.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room here, Id stay elsewhere in town the "Whitehouse" or Ritas i think? T...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Troy G
divequeen19, General Manager at Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
The reviewer is partly correct, and we apologize for the inconvenience he suffered with the extra leaves and creepy feelings, all due to an accident the day before that laid up our caretaker with a fractured knee. Yes, this guest was not attended to fully as all our guests are so we deserve this very bad review. Fortunately he was the only one in the cabins these two days, and we have since swept the leaves and tidied the yard, and can now greet tourists on two legs, and most of the creepiness has been transformed into a more cheerful atmosphere. Sorry about the loneliness during the owner's convalescence, all is happy and swept again! Welcome back if you dare to return....

....sincerely ....the staff at Jadeseahorse.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

This a truly a "must see" during your visit to Utila! I didn't find out about this gem until after I arrived at the island. Looking for seafood, a local suggested that I stop in to see if the restaurant was open. Unfortunately,it was closed down, but I was so amazed that I stayed for drinks as I toured the grounds. A fabulous mosaic of glass, tile, shells and any other recyclable item you can think of. I can't imagine the time it took to put that all together! Truly unique... and Max, my bartender for the evening was pretty awesome too!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I recently traveled to Utila for a bit of rest and relaxation after living in Tegucigalpa for several months. I appreciated the cleanliness of the cabin and the decor, as well as the cover of tall trees and the incredible imagination of Neil's masterpiece. The cabins are close enough to the "center" of town (about a 5 minute walk to the end of the municipal dock), but far enough removed from the constant whirring of motorcycles and Quads up and down Monkey Tail Road. Unfortunately, one Sunday, a neighbor was blasting their music for the whole neighborhood to hear. Neil fortunately helped to put an end to that and I am sure the rest of the neighborhood appreciated it. The restaurant did not appear to be open at the time, but the Treetanic bar was in full swing. As a previous reviewer noted, the noise of the bar was far enough away from the cabins for it not to be a bother. The Jade Seahorse is a must visit and a must see, especially at night.

Room Tip: The "Cama Sutra" has a nice view of the sea in the distance from the porch.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo