All reviews queen ann captain albert dive master fish dive trip whale sharks bay islands college of diving dive sites screened in porch deliver coffee the kitchen staff fourth visit each morning fascinating stories delivered fresh research institute interesting things
Selected filters
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I really have so many fond memories of the little island of Utila. Kisty & her family & the incredible staff do an amazing job running this lodge. Everyone makes you feel so welcome. Food is very good. Queen Anne is so much fun. Our divemaster was Josh & Captain Willie & many others who also went diving with always made sure that we had a fun dive and adventure. I did my 1st night dive ever & was so nervous & scared but I was taken care of by everyone & thank god never saw JAWS! The day dives I loved, it was truly a wonderful experience. Sunsets were beautiful & the weather was 80-85 everyday. I met so many of the island people & it was an experience I will never forget. Everyone and I mean everyone was so nice & friendly! Kisty took me out horseback riding & that was spectacular & we climbed Pumpkin Hill to see the entire view of the island. I hope to return again soon as it was an amazing trip the staying at the Utila Lodge I would recommend!

2  Thank Denise K
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Yes, Tranquila Bar is a few doors down. But I never heard the noise from their dock, maybe our room was strategically place? But anyway, we really liked this place. It was nextdoor to BICD (Bay Islands College of Diving), whom we dived with (and they were very excellent too, if you are looking for a great dive shop!).

We got a discount on the room for diving with BICD so I thought we would probably get a "discount" room... our room was just beautiful, and well equipped with TV, a pitcher of potabile water, AC, fan, solid electricity and hot running water, and we even had a little screened in porch (no mosquitoes!) with a hammock that had a spectacular view of sunset on the water.

Management was kind and helpful. The other guests here were great people- this is the kind of place that attracts nice quiet folks- we know how to enjoy a few drinks out on the beach bars but we like to call it a night at a reasonable time with diving in mind for the next morning, and Utila Lodge was a nice quiet place to come home to.

We only ate one meal here which was breakfast, which was nothing to write home about, but we enjoyed the hot tub and the honor system at the bar- the sense of trust is really nice, and sipping a rum punch in the hot tub at sunset was a great way to kick off our stay in Utila.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank elizacantlay
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Don't be fooled because Utila Lodge "only" has 8 rooms. This place is roomy and comfortable. Dive master Josh and boat captian Willie treat you to good dives and keep you laughing. Queen Ann keeps things running smooth topside. The owner, Kisty, has put together a great crew that makes sure your stay is a pleasurable one.
Go to Utila lodge and be prpared to dive, eat, laugh and feel welcome.

Tell them "Robert Goulet" sent you.

Phil

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank palmsnbeach
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This was my first time bringing a group to Utila and Utila Lodge, but it certainly will not be the last. It is kind of a hassle to get to the Bay Islands, but the diving makes it worth it. Utila Lodges rooms were clean and spaciaous. Since they were literally over the water, we were lulled to sleep each night by the sound of the ocean.
Food was included in our package and it was prepared fresh with many locally produced ingredients. One really nice touch, which I am sorely missing now that I am home, is that they delivered fresh coffee right to our rooms each morning. It was a welcome wake-me-up. The dive boats were roomy and the crew helpful, patient and FUN!!!! I had a couple of divers who needed a little extra help because of back and knee problems. the crew helped them and made it easy for them to get on and off the boat. That was really appreciated. I liked that they had a separate camera tank on the boat and in the wash out area by the locked equipment room.
My group also enjoyed the Red river horse ride through the jungle. The guide was very knowledgable about the local flora and fauna. The tour included a visti to a cave with facinating formations. Well worth the time and (small) cost.
The resort staff was attentive to us and very genuinely friendly and accomodating. Many of them joined us at the bar for karaoke night and were really good singers!
We found this trip to be a very good value!

2  Thank Red_Lipped_Blenny
Reviewed December 25, 2010

From the greeting at the airstrip until we had to say goodbye, this is a fantastic place to stay. Everything was seen to and the staff at Utila Lodge will make you feel like you are at home.
Great food, great diving with a dive master and boat captain that make your surface time as much fun as your time under water. The hot chocolate aboard after a night dive was a welcome touch.
We would like to thank everyone at the lodge again and you can expect to see us again.
Robert & Peggy