“Perfect diving”

Utila Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Utila
“Perfect diving”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The lodge and the staff were wonderful. This was a new destination for us and we will definitely go back. The dive staff was wonderful. I have trouble with my knee and the captain was patient and made me feel secure as I climbed the ladder. Divemaster Willy can find the smallest creatures in the sand and he is extremely knowledgable. The diving was great, a calm, easy pace that allowed for great picture taking. When my camera broke during the week the staff put out the word and a lovely young woman came to the lodge and rented me hers for a very reasonable price. The room was lovely, the view picturesque and the service gracious. The room was was always cleaned by the time we came back from our morning dive. I loved being able to walk out of our room and watch the constant change of creatures under the deck. All and all a great dive week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eschein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Narberth
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had heard word of mouth raves and recall having read positive reviews about Utila Lodge. Now, looking at all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor I find myself wondering if I am living in an alternate universe as our experience was really bad.

On a positive note, the staff was friendly, coffee was delivered to our room on time and hot each morning, and the dining room was a pleasant place to spend time. The diving was also quite good as were the divemaster and boat captain.

Unfortunately this is where the positive reports about our trip end. On arrival we were given an orientation by one of the staff in what I can only describe as a drill sergeant mode. There were quite a few details to remember so we had to take notes. It would have been so much more pleasant to receive a simple document with this information. My wife and I were completely taken aback when we were informed that drinking water was filtered and we would have to purchase bottled water. (Unfortunately I became ill from the water and wound up on antibiotics.)

For the amount we paid for this vacation, and based on the value at other dive resorts we have been to throughout the Caribbean, we appropriately expected a great deal more in virtually every area.

We were subjected to pretty consistent loud conversation by resort staff that seemed to be right outside of our room. We had very little quiet in our room when we wanted to rest, read or nap. When we got boat/beach towels and wanted to exchange them we were told that we could only do this once a week. I found this difficult to believe – but so it was and we made do.

I guess a microcosm of what we experienced may be found in the fact that we never found one working toilet paper holder anywhere at the resort.

DIVING: As I mentioned above, the diving was good, and I had been led to believe that one of the nice things about Utila lodge was valet diving. We can certainly take care of our own gear, and with the expectation having been set that we would not have to, it was not pleasant to be told that we needed to take care of our own wet suits and booties and then to find that our regulators were never to be mounted on our tanks. We were also not thrilled that the head on the boat was out of commission the entire week we were there.

ROOMS: Generally run down and shabby. Compact fluorescents are the norm which is fine, but the wattage in the ones in our room was very low. Best description – it was difficult to see well enough in the bathroom mirror to shave or put in contacts. The other side of the light issue is that there were no curtains over the glass French doors so that 5 AM light streamed in waking us up. After a couple of days we asked that this be addressed and two bedspreads were hung in front of them.

The beds were lumpy, plain and simple, and sloped down at the head. Bathroom rugs were glued down shag carpet and looked as if they had been there for a very, very long time. The vanity was completely sealed – no doors or drawers so storing anything in the bathroom was not possible. There was no bureau in the room – just a couple of book shelves and other shelving, and a two foot wide bar to hang things on in place of any type of closet.

FOOD: This is the factor that made the week extremely unpleasant. One other guest described it as “sustenance” and that was about it. On an island in the Caribbean we were only served fish for one lunch and one dinner. I found that difficult to believe. Most meals were some combination of overcooked beef, beans, tortillas and the like. A few meals of chicken were decent, and there wasn’t one meal we walked away from able to say, “That was really good.”

I don’t know if part of this was because there were only five divers at the lodge that week and we were the only people served meals, but that is no excuse. One night there were skewers of grilled vegetables. Actually they were pretty good. Yes, there were five skewers of vegetables so a second helping of these was not to be had.

There were other issues that came up with less than accurate information being provided which made for more unpleasantness. But I think that is enough. Obviously, we will never return to Utila Lodge. If you go, I hope you have a positive experience as I have read about in other reviews, but it will be your gamble.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WSNarb
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Utila Lodge while we were diving next door at Bay Island College of Diving (same ownership).

This was the dream lodging for us. Our room was over the water on the dock. Big window facing west for daily sunsets. We could hear the water lapping the sand all night. The dock was perfect for sunbathing and jumping off to swim around.

The rooms were spotless, all wood, and very very comfortable. The patios are great and the massive screened windows give a nice cross breeze to survive the heat/humidity.

Excellent location on the island. It's on the main strip but far enough from town center so it's not crazy.

Top marks for the staff who were very friendly, gracious and attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms further out on the dock get better cross breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon O
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My first trip to Utila, the Lodge’s location is excellent - right next to the quaint little town located on the island of Utila. The most outstanding quality of the resort is the staff – including the owner/manager, hotel staff and the dive crew! Rooms were great with screened in balcony, food was excellent, the diving operation was both safe and responsive to our small groups' needs. During our week at the Lodge, the staff and crew did a great job of providing quality customer service to us, including serving coffee to my room in the early morning hours!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
St. Charles, MO
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This facility was a very pleasant surprise! The rooms were clean and housekeeping did a great job of keeping things nice the whole week. Coffee came to the room every morning. The staff in the dining room and bar were very accommodating and tried their best to make everything perfect. Our dive master and boat captain were knowledgeable, highly qualified, and concerned with providing quality dives and our safety. I could not have asked for more from a dive resort!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a week long dive trip to Utila with our dive shop. The lodge was clean, comfortable, good food, good location and the diving is out of this world! The staff is extremely friendly and will go out of their way to make sure you have whatever you need! The meals are prepared right there in their kitchen and very good. The dive boat operators were fantastic and we got to swim alongside a whale shark, an experience I will never forget! The reefs are pristine and healthy! The dive operators we had, Alfred and Willie, were awesome! They really made our week special! Very safe operation, I would go back! They took us to a new dive sight every dive and would point out different creatures! Thanks to all at Utila Lodge for an unforgettable dive vacation!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank boilerbabe
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was with a group of divers and like them, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The staff could not have been friendlier and very accommodating. I loved getting coffee sent to my room every morning. A very nice place to just kick back and relax.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
#2 of 14 in Utila
The Venue - Utila
The Venue - Utila
#1 of 9 in Utila

Been to Utila Lodge? Share your experiences!