“Nice resort, first class service and Excellent food”
Review of Mango Inn Resort

Mango Inn Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Utila B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Outstanding dive trip to Utila last week. Mango Inn was very cozy with nice accommodations. Resort management was very friendly and responsive. Our A/C stopped working on the weekend and Sammy made the repair very quickly. He is a great asset to Mango... If owners are smart they will realize the value of their employee's and show them much appreciation.. The only negative of our stay was witnessing one of the owners having a not so kind conversation with Sammy.. Not very professional.. Hector was fantastic as well. He picked us up at the airport and dropped us off on our last day. Hector and Sammy hauled us to and from the Utila Dive Centre every day. The food at Mango was FANTASTIC... Kathy provided excellent service at the restaurant. Now the diving.. It was disappointing to say the least. We did 8 dives and other than swimming with some dolphins on one dive, the only thing we really saw was a spotted eagle ray. We went out for 3 hours with Utila Dive in search of whale sharks one afternoon. We saw three boils but no sign of the whale sharks surfacing so we did not get off the boat. We also went out for 4 hours the very next morning with Deep Blue and didn't spot any boils at all. Others were fortunate to spot and swim with a whale shark so they were out there but we were not lucky enough to spot one. Next trip..... :-)

The dive shop was great. Hannah is the best!!! Suzanne and Brian were great as well. The captains on each boat were also very nice, helpful and fun. Be sure to each at the Buccaneer, Munchies and Big mamma's!! All terrific food.

Be sure to say hi to Lola in the front office.. She is a beautiful black lab that loves to swim in the ocean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just spent 10 days at the Mango Inn, Utila. Nice spot. Very nice rooms. Good food at the restaurant.
Recommend it to anybody, looking for a nice place to stay.
It"s a nice walk into the main area of town, but just far enough out that you are not hearing all the noise at night.

Cheryl P

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I use the word "surprisingly" because I was expecting the hotel to be tucked away in the jungle of Utila, but when we arrived it was right on the corner of a pretty busy street. You wouldn't think of Utila as a high traffic area, but there are so many cars & ATV's you really have to watch out when you're on foot. Anyway, all the noise seemed to disappear once we were through the gate. The room was huge, a little musty smelling at first, but once we got the A/C on that cleared right up. And speaking of A/C, I highly recommend getting a room that has it. The humidity was so high at night we were sweating just sitting on our patio while filling out dive logs - it is the Caribbean after all... The A/C is well worth the extra few dollars. Beds could have been a little more comfortable, but my opinion might be biased because I'm spoiled at home with a pillow top mattress and featherbed - yes, I am the princess from "The Princess & the Pea". The shower works like a charm - nice hot water with good pressure. Oh, and before you complain that your fridge isn't working, make sure it's plugged in - saves some embarassment later...

Okay, the food. I can't say enough about the food. It was a-maz-ing. Being a bit of a foodie myself, this is my top priority. The owner of the restaurant was very friendly and accommodating. He always stopped by the table to see how our diving was and if we were satisfied with everything (service at the resort, the restaurant, etc). For example, he knew we were diving on New Years Day and he wouldn’t be open for breakfast, so he offered to have someone at the restaurant for 8am just for us! We gratefully declined, but pre-ordered food instead, refrigerated it overnight and were the only people with breakfast in the morning. Thought some fights might break out over my breakfast sandwich but everything worked out okay. On our last night we ate at a new Chinese restaurant, the Foo King Wok, and it was some of the best Chinese food I’ve ever had. There were 5 of us, each had 2 beers, ordered 5 appetizers and 5 entrees and the bill was something like $50US. We couldn’t get over how cheap everything was on the island.

Hector, the driver for the resort, was great. He picked us up every morning to drive us to UDC and picked us up every afternoon when we were done. He would even wait patiently for us if we were enjoying the “apres dive” scene with our new friends. Also, when our luggage finally showed up (I’ll get into that later), he went to the airport to pick everything up and it was waiting in our room when we got back on Thursday evening. When we left on Saturday, he helped us get our luggage to the “check in desk”, gave us a big smile and a hug and waited to make sure there were no problems with the flight before he left. This is funny – we asked what time we needed to leave the resort for our 8:40am flight. Hector said, 8:30. We were like, no way, so we asked Barbara and she said, maybe 8:20? We couldn’t believe it so we left at 8:00. Should have listened to Hector. It took less than five minutes to get to the airport and there’s no check in or security line ups so you really just walk in and drop your bags on the dolly for your airline. lol!

UDC is a great dive center. Our gear didn’t show up at the airport so we had to rent everything but our regs and cameras. Their rental gear is some of the best I’ve seen. The boats are comfortable and fast, and the staff is second to none. We ended up signing up for three specialty courses – wreck, deep and photography – and it was well worth it. We also got to snorkel with wild dolphins twice! The boat captains really know what they’re doing in regard to getting you ahead of the pod without scaring the dolphins off – especially when there are calves present – and there were alot of them. The reef is stunning and the flora and fauna plentiful. There also seemed to be a definite shortage of Lionfish, which is a good thing, because it doesn’t take long for them to eat everything on the reef. Only saw one Nurse shark though. At the end of the week of renting gear they didn’t charge us a dime for it which was really sweet.

Okay, the luggage. I packed everything I needed into my carry-on along with my regs, and have all my camera gear in a camera bag to carry on as well. Darren checked all his clothes and bathing suits along with our dive gear. We flew from Toronto to JFK on Air Canada, where we changed airlines to Taca for the rest of the commute. In Toronto, AC checked our bags all the way through to San Pedro. We’ve done this before with multiple airlines and never had a problem. In San Pedro when we put in our lost luggage claim, the girl at the desk said it was the 4th time in two weeks bags had gotten lost on their way to San Pedro. Usually it wouldn’t be a big deal, but because there are so few flights from San Pedro to Utila, you really need to keep your fingers crossed that you will see your luggage before the end of your trip. TIP: if you have a long enough layover and you’re changing airlines, don’t check your bag all the way through. Pick it up and re-check it with the new airline to be sure it arrives with you. We landed on Saturday and didn’t get our luggage until Thursday late afternoon. Didn’t ruin our trip though – just made it a bigger adventure. I would also recommend that people fly to Utila from Roatan instead of San Pedro. There are daily flights and seem to be more charters that fly to and from Roatan.

If you do have a long layover, I suggest hopping in a cab and going to the Intercontinental Hotel. The day rate is just $99 and you get a cushy king sized bed - really nice after an overnight flight - and use of all the hotel amenities. It's only a $20 cab ride and waaaay better than sitting in the airport.

Room Tip: Choose a room with A/C
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cthornley
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently spent the month of March on Utila completing my IDC and IE. I chose to stay at the Mango Inn in a cabana. The Mango property offers cabana's, hotel rooms, 3 piece pool and possibly the best restuarant on the island. What really made the experience comfortable for myself was the friendly, almost family like attitude that EVERYone at the Mango offers. I found my way all over the island of Utila. I met many many people and was fortunate enough to have countless great experiences. With all that said, being able to call the Mango home every night was priceless. I will be going back before the end of the year :-)

Room Tip: cabana's and standard or better hotel rooms. Don't get yourself a dorm room by accident.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Matthew130
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This backpackers/hotel has clean comfortable rooms free with any udc training good service to the dive centre running shuttles to the dive centre or to and from the ferry there is a pool also big bonus for a break from the salt water the bathrooms however a dirty there was rot on the shower floor which was surprising because it seemed the ladies would clean the immediate floor but disregard the inside of the shower it was foul but this is latin america so there are always pros and cons plus the humidity makes it hard to keep things fresh anywhere so best harden up

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
UDC_MarketingManager, Public Relations Manager at Mango Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hello elle L
Thank you for choosing us and UDC as your dive operation and home during your stay at Utila.

We apologies for the inconvenience with the bathrooms, we are currently remodeling our shared bathrooms to offer our diving customers a better service!

Thank you for your input and hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Mango Inn has the nicest manager ever named Barbara. She always asked me how my courses were going and wished me luck when it came time for my exams. Barbara even invited me and some friends over to have a great meal at her place and even bought us drinks at the bar! The Mango Inn staff really go above and beyond to make you feel welcomed and comfortable. Their cafe serves the best pizza I've ever had and lots of other great dishes and drinks. All of the staff is super friendly and want to help you in any way they can. The Inn itself is breath-taking with a huge mango tree and beautiful gardens. I stayed here because I did some courses at UDC but I would have stayed here anyways if I wasn't. One of their workers in particular, Sammy Ramos, is a local that has lived on the island for many many years. Words can't express how nice and inviting he was to me and my family. First of all he drove us down to UDC, which is a fair 10-15 minute walk, whenever I needed to go. In passing, he gave us the warmest smile and offered us a ride in his van, showed us around the island, or if we needed help finding something. He wasn't doing it because he expected a tip but because he is such a nice guy. I would come back to Utila (and I know I will) just to visit Barbara and Sammy. In short, this is the best place to stay on Utila without a doubt!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tyler P
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at Mango Inn because it came free because I was doing a course at UDC. I am a solo female traveler, so it is important for me to stay places where I can meet like-minded travelers. I was able to make a great group of friends that all were diving at UDC as well. The rooms were simple, the bathrooms were pretty gross. I am not picky, but sometimes I felt dirtier after my shower, although the showers were always hot which is rare in Central America.Obviously it is Honduras, but I have stayed at many other places in Central America that were much cleaner. Not a deal-breaker though. It was kinda a far walk-about 15 minutes from UDC, 10 minutes from town. I had read reviews that said they offered a shuttle, but they only gave us a ride when we first arrived and they gave us a tour. Other than that they said you could hire a tuk-tuk for 20 lemps. I always walked except if it was raining, I took a tuk-tuk. I guess it was good to walk off all those Salva Vidas from the night before :) Overall I would stay there again just because it was a good deal and I was able to make a lot of friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Hello amorefirenze

Thank you for your input and hope to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
Quinta Real Hotel and Convention Center
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 14 in Utila

Been to Mango Inn Resort? Share your experiences!