“Fantastic. Value for money. Great service.”
Review of Mango Inn Resort

Mango Inn Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Utila B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Thoroughly recommend. Stayed with 4 adults, 2 seniors citizens (one in a wheelchair) and my one year old son. Staff (notably Barbara and Hector) were ever so helpful in setting us up in a suitabke room, and seeing that we could manage. 4 of us were diving (3 doing Open Water, and myself fun dives) and the link to Utila Dive Centre is excellent. Staff there were fantastic - Maya (thx), Tim, Ed, Thomas, Fernando, Declan and Jeremy. A great value for money trip.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 8, 2011

The room was clean and the bed was very good.. It was difficult to read at night in the room because it was too dark, but it was fine for everything else. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

The pool area was fabulous. The restaurant had great food and had some movie nights. The setting is very pretty!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I chose to dive with Utila dive center and got a few free nights stay at the Mango, included with my class. Got picked up by UDC staff at the ferry dock and they drove me up the hill to the hotel. Nice to have someone meet you at the dock, as there are many diveshops, taxis, hoteliers and others creating a bit of chaos upon arrival. Tried to check in with my AWFUL spanish, and the receptionist, seeing my incompetence, smiled and switched to english. Think her name was Lushanka, very helpful, went out of her way to make me comfortable after a long day of travel. Nice clean room, friendly dormmates. Asked around about some hikes and Lushanka provided me with a copy of an island map, and even gave me some more precise directions. Stayed here for a few days after my dive course, the rstaurant has pretty good food, and sometimes shows movies. My only complaint is that I went out to the pool one morning to swim , only to find it full of scuba divers! Good place to meet other solo travelers, if you arrive alone you'll surely make friends quickly.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We didn't enjoy our stay at Mango Inn. The room was spacious but old, dark, and dirty. We could hear people going in and out of their rooms since the windows could be shut completely.
We ate twice at the restaurant, ok food. The french guy (owner, I think) was not friendly. We thought the price is a little high.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2010

centrally located, but just far enough from the main street to enjoy peaceful afternoons by the pool. Great staff, great and clean rooms, excellent dinners at the brick oven pizza restaurant!
I would go back any day if I could!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I wasn't expecting much, but I was still totally disappointed. This is by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I had a standard room, and it was dark and dank. The windows are the old slat kind and they are all broken and do not close all the way, so you will hear people coming and going at all hours of the night. The beds are horrible, and I realize that this is Central America and the beds are usually terrible, but these were the worst ever. The sheets were all stained, it totally grossed me out, apparently they haven't heard of bleach. The worst part of the room was the bathroom, the floor had about 7 years worth of dirt on it, it even had some gum stuck to it. Again something that a little bleach and scrubbing could have improved. The shower barely dribbled hot water, and when I stepped into it I stepped into sand, apparently the maids don't clean the showers either. I felt dirty every time I walked into this bathroom. My friends stayed in a deluxe room, and it is a bit nicer, but that's not saying much, and I didn't want to pay 70 bucks for a dumpy room just for myself, so I opted to stay in the standard room at 55 a night. The only redeeming things about this hotel were the restaurant and pool. Let me also say a bit about Utila in general. I was told Utila is a quaint little island, I expected something tropical and relaxing. Instead it was congested and dirty. During my stay there the trash sat out for 3 days and flies were everywhere, I'm not sure if this is the norm. We quickly decided to head over to Roatan and were shocked by the difference, Roatan was literally a breath of fresh air, it's the quintessential tropical getaway island. We stayed at the Cocolobo which was clean, and right on the water. If you are going to Utila to dive, they have some great diving, and if you are on a budget and are a backpacker that doesn't mind roughing it this might be the scene for you, but if you want something more relaxing and quaint I suggest Roatan.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank reviewer619
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This is a long-overdue review based on a happy stay when we did our SCUBA certification back in '08.

Bottom line: We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

A 5-10 minute walk up from the waterfront street, the Mango Inn is nicely situated in a quiet neighborhood with lots of trees and strolling people. The stroll takes you past a few hole-in-the wall eateries, sidewalk baliada sellers, and the infamous Treetanic.

At the Inn itself, there are three or four two-room cottages which are clean, simple, and spacious; that's where we stayed. Additional lodging in the more motel-like building back by the pool looked more plain but perfectly acceptable. Decent open-air restaurant on premesis. Wireless internet is usable but don't plan on downloading movies. Friendly and helpful management. Huge kudos for providing water in big cooler/dispensers to reduce plastic bottle waste!!

Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends