“Whale Sharks” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deep Blue Resort Utila

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Resort Utila
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Dallas, Tx.
“Whale Sharks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

We just returned from Deep Blue Utila. Swin found us no less than 9 whale sharks to swim with! This was such a wonderful experience. They ranged from 9 feet to 30 feet in length and were absolutely majestic. We saw dolpins almost every day and got close enough to get in the water with them once. The diving was easy and varied, the dive staff was very helpful in assisting us with getting off and back on the boat. They lug everything for you, all you have to do is rinse your own wetsuit. Steve, Shirley and Susan were wonderful and the food.......well, it was just ok. Same food for breakfast evey day, lunches were good, and dinner was your choice of entrees. What they served was good but they could use a little more variety. The rooms were nice and well maintained as were the grounds. It's a bit of a hassle to get there, but that's part of the adventure!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mickey22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
center arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

This was our first time out of the country on a dive trip. The owners and staff of Deep Blue made us feel welcomed and that it was a pleasure for us to be there. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Meals were good and wholesome. The diving Was great. the divemasters Chris and Tex were very helpful and knowledgeable about the local dive sites. The boat captain, Swin, was a pleasure to chat with about the island and its history. We plan on returning again. and recommend it to anyone looking for a laid back place to hang out and forget the real world for a week.

• Stayed April 2010
AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

2nd trip to Honduras Bay Islands. Roatan has MUCH more to offer and the diving was better on the big island (at least on this trip). No Whale Sharks; we were told it was highly unusual and the cause was attributed to cooler weather. I propose the unregulated fishing is contributing and this was confirmed by the locals (think food chain). Last couple of days of diving saw improved wildlife variety and quantity; wish we could have dived those sites all week (Big Rock is good). Resort was average for the area, but would have liked to seen some activities planned for guest, i.e. last night BBQ, maybe some local vendors to visit the resort, etc. The cost and effort to get there did not leave me feeling the extra effort made the trip worth while. Perhaps if Whale Sharks had been there (and I know they cannot promise) the diving would have been more memorable. I did enjoy myself, but I would not return to this particular corner of the Bay Islands. Others I'm sure will have a different perspective, but that's why they call it an opinion.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MSTRDVR
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

My dive partner and I just returned from Deep Blue and we cannot say enough positive things about the diving. We are new divers and Matt was an amazing dive instructor -- we both earned our Open Water Certification and did 9 dives in one week. We had an amazing time with Matt, Swen (the lovable but grumpy boat captain), and Zab (Please ignore the review on this website from an obviously unreasonable woman. Zab is one of the most likeable, easygoing people I know -- and she wants to preserve the coral reefs! Who can blame her?!) If you want to dive -- and have an amazing time doing it with wonderful and talented people -- go to Deep Blue.

The ambiance at Deep Blue is relaxing, family oriented. The rooms are clean and well organized, with lovely porches for an afternoon siesta in the hammock.

The food is...horrible. Both my dive partner and I were unimpressed with the completely unimaginative American menu -- the best food items of the week were Latino (tres leches cake, a modified fajita, empanadas) because the kitchen staff is talented --- but not at making spaghetti! The resort desperately needs a professional cook/chef to add some spark to the menu. Steve's soups add some flavor, but otherwise, the menus reflect a complete lack of creativity or flavor. We stayed 7 nights and both love fish (hello, we are on an island surrounded by fish!) and we ate the SAME dinner every night -- alternating between Snapper and Wahoo. Of course, we could have chosen one of the other options - spaghetti with meatballs, cottage pie, lasagna -- but somehow, on a Caribbean vacation, that's not exactly what we had in mind. Yes, we are healthy, worldly eaters...so eating iceberg lettuce for 7 days was a bit of an adjustment. We both recommend stocking the suitcase with food, especially breakfast items since the morning meal is sorely lacking, and expect to get your thrills elsewhere!

We both cannot say enough positive things about Steve and Shirley. They are a magnificent team and are knowledgeable, amiable, and fun!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank WellTraveledTeacher
kentuckiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

Just back from 2 weeks at Deep Blue Utila. This was our first time there, but definitely not our last. Shirley, Steve and Susan were fantastic hosts, entertaining, informative and a joy to be around. They became more friends than hosts!

Now to the diving! This a diving resort, so if you are a diver you will love it. Small and individually catered to each divers experience and comfort level. We spent our first three days with Matt, who is fantastic ( then he went on holiday). The remainder of our time was with ZAB (Izabelle). We could not have asked for a better dive master. She is very enthusiatic, informative and loved to pick out and show you all the small and unusual aquatic life. I was a very timid diver (wife) when I arrived at Deep Blue, but after spending time diving with ZAB, my confidence and ability improved immensley with her help and suggestions.

Swin, the boat captin, just loves to find Whale Sharks and he did not disappoint! His knowledge of Utila and the surrounding oceans is like having a living encyclopedia on board with you. Great meeting you Swin and hope to be on your boat again soon.

Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. The cleaning staff came everyday to make sure we had clean towels, and that our bed was made and the rooms swept. If we requested no service (which we did one day), they were not offended. We did not worry about our valuables being taken or our belongings being disturbed.

As for the meals, there was always plenty to eat (sometimes too much, (they offer small portions and a vegetarian menu). Everything was delicious and Susan provide a variety on the menu. Three course meals followed by some of the most delicious desserts we've ever had.

Personal experience (husband)--has traveled throughout the Caribbean over the last 13 years diving and found the waters of Utila to be among the best. Very interesting topography and a good variety of aquatic life. We saw Eagle Rays, Manta Rays, Lesser Electric Ray and Stingrays, along with Turtles, Whale Sharks, Dolphins and Pilot Whales(this was just the large stuff)!

Only down side, --be prepare for the bugs-- not unusal for the Tropics-- won't stop us from going back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beebstel
oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

I recently returned from my 6th stay at Deep Blue Resort on Utila. What a great trip. I stayed for two weeks this time. I travel extensively in the Carib and this is one of the places that I return to year after year. The resort is a very comfortable place to relax and unwind. The diving is getting better with each visit. Unlike many of the Caribbean dive locations where there is noticeable degradation to the reefs, Utila acutally seems to be recovering somewhat. There was a noticeable increase in growth of staghorn coral and I did not see as much algae as in other locations.

Of course the highlight of this trip was the numerous sightings of Whale Sharks. We got to smim with them 7 times while I was there. Any experienced diver knows that there is no guarentee of seeing whale sharks on a dive trip. After all the sharks do not work for the resort :-) but it is always a thrill when you do get a chance to be in the water with one.

As always the staff at Deep Blue were warm and friendly. They take excellent care of their guests and unlike other resorts that I have stayed at where you really feel like you need a vault to keep your valuables in, I have never felt like I needed to worry. That is not to say that you should not use common sense but I have never felt like it was an issue.

The Dive Masters are awesome. I am impressed by how protective they are of the reef system. Making sure that the groups of divers that they are leading are not damaging the reef. I have been to other locations where the divers are laying on the reef or kicking the coral. If more operations where like this one, maybe the health of the reefs throughout the carib would be in better condition.

I am looking foward to my next trip already.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank parrotman
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

We recently made a trip to Utila and stayed at Deep Blue Utila Resort. First, let us say that the resort, itself, was great. Clean rooms, groomed grounds, and great food. Beautiful beach, free shore diving and being with friends we haven't seen since last August. We think that's where the good parts end.

Boy, how disappointing, to say the least. Let's start with their "wonderful" dive master, Zab. It was right after our first dive, on the first day, she saw something she didn't like. Some of the divers were crowding in on a sea horse. Well, let me tell you...when we got back on the boat , she started screeching and screaming at us, AND she used foul language. Telling us we were killing thousands of little animals and that by the end of the week, we were going to learn to dive in a group or else she was throwing us all off the boat. She claimed it was HER reef and we would dive it the way SHE wanted us to. Now, we are all in favor of diving correctly and saving the reef and all of us were experienced divers. We guess she doesn't know that there is a professional way of discussing problems with her divers. All she knew was to start in with her tirade that lasted several minutes. In all our years of diving, we have never been talked to the way Zab talked to us. We were there with friends and we know for sure that the 4 of us designated to the owner that she get none of the tip that we designated for the dive masters and crew. The others were were great, but none of them stood up to her about the way she was treating paying guests. After that first dive, I was ready to get on a plane and go home!

Then, our dive light was stolen from the room. Our friends lost $500 worth of pesos from their room. We did get our light back, but not before we were told it was in there somewhere and we just couldn't find it. We tore the room apart 5 times, and no dive light. I reported it, but "the girls" knew nothing about it. Meanwhile, everytime we had the opportunity to look for it in our room, it WASN'T there. We took everything out of draws, looked under the bed about 5 times, looked through our empty luggage, and it wasn't there. Finally, the owner sent "the girls" to rummage through all our belongings, while we were diving. and what do ya know?!?!? They claimed they found the light in one of the draws that we must have emptied 5 times. We were really glad they rummaged through all my belongings (cough, cough). I have just never heard of such a thing. We're sure at other places, we've stayed, 'the girls' looked through our things, but to be told that they were instructed to do this horrified us. The bottom line was, the owner's common law wife told us it was in our room the whole time.

All our friends had to do was report their pesos missing, luckily the afternoon before we left, so they didn't get the 'must be in your room, you just can't see it' treatment. When they got home and didn't find it in any of their luggage, the owner sent them a check for $500. I am very glad they were reimbursed, but not thrilled that our ability to find a silly light, in our room, was called into question.

We would NEVER recommend any of our friends to go there. We were NOT happy with the way we were treated. By the way, the owner said that no one was ever robbed before and he didn't respond to our comment of didn't he think it was more than a coincident that it happened in 2 different rooms, in the same week?

To say the VERY least, we will never go to that resort, again, and for that matter never go to Utila, again, either. No whale sharks seen and the rest of the diving was so-so. Oh...did we say we both have about 350 Caribbean dives under our belts? It's not like we're newbies. If you go and stay there, good luck! Hope nothing like this happens to you!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank omainer04270
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
Coral View Beach Resort
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 15 in Utila

Been to Deep Blue Resort Utila? Share your experiences!