“Superb!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Resort Utila
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Utila
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Deep Blue is a wonderful place for novice and advanced divers alike (we are part of the former group). We went with the idea of diving once a day, but with such great attention and service, we took advantage of all 3 daily dives. Our divemaster, Matt, was wonderful as were the rest of the crew and staff. I thought that I would never be interested in doing a night dive, but again, this team inspires a lot of confidence and it was a truly marvelous experience to dive at night. I also have to mention that Shirley did an outstanding job of setting up our logistics to and from the island - I don't think we have ever had such a seamless set of transfers! Our flight was booked from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba, our charter to Utila was waiting for us as we got off the plane - we didn't even have to enter the terminal! Shirley was waiting for us with a taxi as we got off the charter in Utila. Ditto for the return trip.
Steve and Jasmine were around to see to our every need. The food is wholesome and satisfying (especially the baked goods). The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bartola

Reviewed June 19, 2006

A group of 12 of us spent June 3-10 with Deep Blue Resort/Divers, had a great time.

The facilities are just as advertised, and are as pictured on the website. Rooms are comfortable, with AC, balconies with a hammock, comfortable beds, with showers and a bathroom. Nice dining room-bar-lounge, also AC with 2 computers with internet access and connections for photo work, fish books, pool table, dart board, reading material, a deck that looks out on the Caribbean with Honduras in the background, etc. Jasmine makes sure you get three good meals a day, get choices for your dinners, drinks always at the ready.

The diving was really good. Boat crew Matt, Kelly, and captain Swin were excellent guides/hosts, and Steve and Jasmine tagged along on some dives. Good briefings on terrain with special notes on what to look for at particular sites, followed by an either escorted, or on your own dives, no time limits. Even if not escorting people, the DM were in the water, and pointing out interesting sea-life to anyone in their range. They also were very willing to help out, as one in our group hadnt been diving in a while and had some buoyancy issues, Matt offered to buddy up with her to help her work it out for a couple of dives, and she was good to go. After you came up, they assisted you if needed, and would switch out your gear to a fresh tank, and fresh fruit and water were readily available. At the end of the day, they would rinse your gear and take care of it, next morning it would be on the boat, rigged and ready to go. They were also very flexible, on most days when we would come back from the morning dives (the boat radios, so lunch is ready whenever you get back) and ask when were we going back out for afternoon dives, most times it was "what time do you want to go out?" and we would work out an agreed on time. One day we wished to change the night dive for an afternoon dive, Steve said, "if its ok with the boat crew, its fine with me", the boat crew was willing so the change was made. Shore diving was easy right out in front of the resort, swim through a sand channel and out to the wall. The best part, is if you told them you wanted to do a shore dive, they would bring all your gear and tanks to their sea wall at the appointed time, you did the dive, then they took it back, rinsed it, and it was ready on the boat for your next boat dive.. what a deal.

Our favorite sites were the sea mounts we were able to dive, because of the calm conditions the week we were there. We got to do 'Black Hills' twice (2nd our request), and even a yet unnamed mount where we did a 'drift' dive as there was no mooring, the sea life and coral conditions at these sites were outstanding. During the week we saw, besides the usual suspects, 4 seahorses, a frog fish, toadfish, eagle rays, nudibranch, and numerous turtles. On Wed. we got a special thrill, though Utila and Deep Blue are known for it we were very late in the season we were not counting on it, but we got to see and snorkel with a whale shark and manta's rays (well, mobula rays Steve corrected) . Through some word of mouth Steve had received about a sighting, the boat crew asked us if we would be willing to do some searching at a certain area, at a certain time (later in the day) to see what we could see. We of course agreed. Swin and Matt led us to that area, and it starting coming together.. boils, birds, tuna, I asked Matt what else they look for, he said "this is about as good as it gets".. and had us get in snorkel gear on the rail... a few moments later Swin exclaims "Manta's on the surface!", and right by the boat rays at the surface. We jumped in for a look, and damn if they didnt swim back under us again(maybe they were curious). We got back on the boat and went over to were the boil had moved to.. Matt said to be ready.. a few seconds later.. "There he is!!!..whale shark right by the boat, Go,Go!" and in we went. We got to do 3 jumps on different 'surfaces', and several of us got some decent pictures. It was a thrill, its one of those things you cant do justice with explanation..

It was truly a great dive trip, and Deep Blue definitely knows creature comforts geared for divers. It was really 'still' weather while we were there, which was great for the diving.. and the no-seemums as well, so you do need to have DEET on hand, but they were not an issue in the buildings themselves. Steve, Jasmine, and Matt were always on top of the Fish IDs and any and all dive discussions and info, although at the end of the week we photographed a foot and a half long 'worm' and we thought we had them stumped. But Steve followed up with some contacts of his, and he sent us an email (also a thread in scubaboard on "Name that Critter") with an ID, Sipunculus, first known sighting on Utila. Thanks again to Steve, Jasmine, Shirley and all the staff at Deep Blue for a great week.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank austintx
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I chose Deep Blue Resort primarily for the possibilty
of seeing Whale Sharks. My first morning I had three separate sightings while snorkeling- simply awesome.
I'm happy that no scuba diving was allowed with the Whale Sharks; these gentle huge fish need to be respected. Boat Captain Swinn was outstanding. He is an expert at spotting the Whale Sharks. He also was very kind to help me everyday in and out of the sea since I'm a small and new diver.
Matt and Steve, dive instructors, are very knowledgable and concerned for your diving safety and enjoyment. The night dive with Matt and the other four of us was the highlight of my vacation.
The secluded location, away from town, was a real plus, ensuring calm, quiet and peace. Internet access is available on two computers in the main dining and living room area. Thank you Jasmine and Shirley and Eddie for your attentiveness during my stay.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank angelfish7
Reviewed June 24, 2005

Our visit to Deep Blue Resort on Utila was wonderful. The setting is beautiful and the owners and staff are warm, funny, and accommodating. The rooms are spacious, air-conditioned, clean and comfortable. Each has a balcony and lovely view of the sandy beach and ocean. Anyone who goes to Utila expecting the Ritz and in-room television, telephone, etc. has not done their homework about visiting the Bay Islands of Honduras. When you go to Deep Blue Resort you go to dive, not to sit in your room.

The dining hall also acts as a community center. Guests and staff intermingle there. You can talk, read, play billards or darts, watch videos or surf the net. Everyone gets to know everyone. Steve, Jasmine and Phyllis are the owners and they interact freely with everyone staying at the resort. They are so warm and friendly and seem to try to treat everyone as family.

The food is good and plentiful. We particularly loved the Tres Leches. We often felt bad that Jasmine spends so much time in the kitchen that she is unable to get out and dive as much as she would like. She works long hours and is often tired beyond belief but is continually trying to be sure that the wishes of each guest are satisfied.

Steven and Jasmine are passionate about Whale Sharks. They are also committed to the preservation of these magnificent creatures. We were impressed with their devotion to their dream and to the whale sharks. We are also very much supportive of the rule that the guests do not dive with the sharks. You get all the "face time" with the sharks that you need by snorkelling with them and there is far less chance that the humans will adversely impact the sharks when they are not allowed to scuba with them. We have seen many videos from other facilities where the people are allowed to scuba with the sharks. In those cases the divers are often seen "riding" on and otherwise molesting the sharks. This behavior is deplorable and will not happen when responsible people make and enforce rules as they do at Deep Blue.

It would be foolish for anyone to guarantee that you will see a whale shark when you go to Utila, however, during our visit we had encounters with 12 whale sharks. The dive masters and boat captains are very experienced at getting the snorkellers close and in good position to have the most exciting encounters. We took many good photos and have submitted them to Ecoocean and have been getting frequent updates on subsequent spottings of the same whale sharks that we saw. We were also fortunate enough to photograph at least one whale shark that had not been identified before.

The diving expericences that we had while at Deep Blue Resort were also very good. We saw lots of varied coral in excellent health. We snorkelled with dolphins. We saw turtles, rays, eels, and a nice variety of fish.

I have read another review on this site in which the reviewer complained about the dive masters and other staff needing to be tipped. Tipping is a usual and customary practice at any dive resort. Not tipping is a faux pax that a seasoned diver should never make. Weather diving with Deep Blue Resort in Utila, Anthony's Kay in Roatan, Captain Don's Habitat in Bonaire or Curacao, Palau Pacific Resort, or any other dive operation, tipping is customary.

The entire week was a wonderful experience. We have been all over the Caribbean diving and many places we will never return to, however, Deep Blue is a place we will revisit. In this time when scuba diving is not as popular as in the past it is very hard for dive resorts to make a profit. Good operations need the support of their patrons. Jasmine, Shirley and Steve work very hard to make Deep Blue Resort a success. They strive to make their guests comfortable, to feed them well, to educate them and to ensure they have a memorable experience, while trying to ensure the survival of the Whale Shark. We feel they succeed on all counts and look forward to seeing them again.

Thank-you to Jasmine, Steve and Phyllis and the entire staff at Deep Blue Resort

Beth & Don

• Stayed: April 2005
16  Thank eddrd
A TripAdvisor Member
New Hampton, NY
Reviewed June 22, 2005

I chose Deep Blue because of their whaleshark project.

I didn't meet any scientists when I was there (contrary to DBU's website) and I was a bit disappointed at the lack of presentations on whalesharks. There were DVDs/videos on whalesharks but I could have watched them at home and saved myself some money.

I went to learn about the whalesharks and I came away feeling disappointed that the owners hadn't put much thought into giving their guests structured talks or slide shows. That being said, maybe I'm the odd one out there and maybe other people prefer to chat casually about them ... but on a whaleshark research week I think you should at least be given the option to hear about them. Perhaps this will be part of the agenda next year.

The accomodations are pretty lovely. Private bathrooms, hot water, a fridge in your room, air con, private balconies overlooking the sea - its beautiful! My room smelt a bit of damp - didn't bother me though.

The food was fine. The owner Jasmine did stand over the buffet counter as the Moses Lake reviewer commented, I think this was to stear you towards non-veggie/veggie food - presumably it was difficult to cater to meat-eaters' whims if they decided to jump on the veggie wagon that evening.

I was pleasantly surprised at being given so many options for the evening main course - and I thought the food was of a high standard. The only thing that didn't change too much was the desert menu - not really my main concern.

Breakfast and lunch was varied and plentiful.

Watermelon and overripe pineapple and water was provided on the boat every day.

The diving was OK, definately very good by Caribbean standards. Great viz.

The dive crew Nora and Jeff were brilliant, another instructor was dreadful - hopefully he'll have taken a vacation when you go! The captain Swin was also fantastic. Safety was of a high standard. No problems here you'll be well taken care of.

Not much attention is given to taxiing guests to and from the main town - I think you pretty much have to fit in with the owner/crew's movements - if they're going they'll take you type thing. One night there was an option to go into town if you wanted to, I think most people are happy to stay at the resort most nights in any case.

Overall I would recommend the hotel if you are easy-going and up for a relaxing time.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed June 19, 2005

As some others have already written this cannot be the same place! I had the pleasure earlier this year of staying in this, one of the best dive resorts I have ever stayed in and we have stayed in many. My husband and I spent a wonderful relaxing and peaceful week at Deep Blue and enjoyed every aspect of our vacation. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a private balcony overlooking a white sand beach within 50 feet of the waters edge and three of the best shore diving sites I have ever dived on. The boat was solid and roomy with a local captain who obviously knew the island extremely well and treated us to some wonderful encounters with the local whale sharks. Steve, one of the owners of Deep Blue, and his Divemasters on the boat were extremely knowledgeable and showed us aquatic life that we would not have seen without them and then spent time with us after the dives identifying what we had seen. We only had to describe a creature or fish we saw and they were able to tell us the name and then they showed us the fish or creature in the books they have and sure enough they were right every time. The dive sites were rich and varied with shallow fringing reefs, huge walls and beautiful sea mounds and a wonderful variety of aquatic life and some of the healthiest reefs I have seen anywhere. Our gear was set up for us and taken down and rinsed for us so we did not have to do a thing except put it on to get into the warm, clear Caribbean water. Fresh fruit, cookies and cold drinking water were on the boat for every trip.

The meals were cooked by Jasmine, the other owner of Deep Blue, and they were delicious, varied and plentiful, it was by far some of the best food we have had at any resort we have ever stayed at. The buffet breakfast included tea, coffee, juice, four different cereals, home made bread, cinnamon rolls and muffins and fresh fruit salad as well as the usual hot dishes in different combinations of scrambled eggs, bacon, homemade pork sausage patties, mushrooms, beans and plantains. Our buffet lunch was served whenever we chose to return from our morning dives unlike many resorts where you are on a set timetable to fit the resort needs rather the customer needs. If we wanted to spend more time out looking for whale sharks or doing a longer dive it was no problem, lunch was put on hold until we returned and were served with a variation of good filling hot food with salads for the hungry diver. The evening meal was a real treat a three course meal cooked and served by Jasmine. Starting with a wonderful salad with no less than at eight different ingredients including nuts, then followed by a choice of four different main course dishes – a meat, fish, chicken or vegetarian choice every day and three or four desserts, the Tres Leches was to die for.

We had the opportunity to go into town on three different occasions but only chose to go once as we found that we had seen everything we wanted to see on that trip. The town caters primarily to the back packer market and so is full of noisy 20 year olds, which is great if that is the sort of trip you want but we were very appreciative of the peace and quiet of the resort.

The central clubhouse where meals were served was very comfortable with a center bar and areas at each end with comfy sofas for relaxation. There were two computers for customer use where we were able to download our photographs and then burn them onto CD. Both computers had free internet access and also wireless internet access for those with their own laptops.

Steve and Jasmine did everything they could to make our vacation with them one of the best we have ever had, we felt that they would do their best to meet any request that we made and we will certainly be returning there for more.

• Stayed: February 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

nice rooms, great divemasters, brilliant skipper(swin) we had fun.
diving was fun and seeing lots of whale sharks was an awesome experience.
the owners seemed genuinely enthused about the hotel and the whale shark research, i think this hotel will just get better and better as time goes by.
i do think that not providing transport to town in the evening is a big mistake, one that could be easily rectified . more of the local cuisine would be a plus (especially FRESH fish), but i think if people could spend an evening or two out on the town the food would be less of an issue. utila is not the land of slick resorts and organised entertainment and in this day and age thats what makes it so special.
we had a great time at deep blue

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank divenuts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
The Colibri Hill Resort
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 14 in Utila

Been to Deep Blue Resort Utila? Share your experiences!