“Great place but incredibly hot dorms!”

Pirate's Bay Inn Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Utila B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed one week in the Pirate Bay for the diving course and we had a great time! Great place on the beach, nice people, really good course! Although there are some points that could be improved to make the stay more comfortable. Below some points:

POSITIVE
- Great atmosphere
- Amazing, professional and helpful staff
- Good location on the beach
- Clean place

NEGATIVE
- Incredibly hot dorms. We slept in a dorm for 6 people. We had almost one fan per person because the staff tried to help us. But it didn't work at all. I had really bad sleeps every night. I woke up many times during the night sweating and really uncomfortable, as so the others in my room. Utila is pretty hot and 6 people in a small room is not possible at all. Even the dorms should have air con.
- The kitchen for the guests is the same used for the bar. So during lunch time and dinner we are not allowed to get in some times. The staff was really nice and always found a way to help us. But they also have to work and we understand that. The space is too small in the bar and only fits 2 people inside. We were in 6, so it was not really good to cook big meals. They should have a separate kitchen for guests use.

Even though we had good moments in Pirate Bay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
utlakevin, Owner at Pirate's Bay Inn Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We're glad you enjoyed your visit to Utila and diving with Captain Morgan's. You're right, the shared dorm rooms can be quite warm which is why we installed new mini split air conditioners in all the shared rooms the fist week of November,unfortunately after your visit. The rooms are extremely well insulated which is why they are so quiet inside but we found they hold the warm air in so now that problem has been dealt with. We also replaced all the single bunk bed foam matrices for high quality matrices. We are proud to be the only hotel offering both private bathrooms with hot water and also AC in all our rooms both private and shared dorm rooms.

As for the bar/kitchen area we actually never designed it to be shared with guests but have allowed access, but it can be a bit cramped during peak hours. We have plans to build a "shared kitchen"near the dock. Although I've been in the dive business since 1994 I'm relatively new to the hotel business but we will be continuing to make improvements in our facility and services.

We have also added more storage units to the rooms and are still building more outdoor furniture from our recycled lumber left over from the construction of the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Pirate's Bay Inn Dive Resort

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week during our Open Water and advantage Open Water courses.
DIVE
Staff really nice, our instructor Pablo is very professional and the course was amazing. The negative point goes to the BCD - allays had some problem and, in the end, I was wearing one 2 sizes lower than i needed! Worked, but could be better!
Even though, the staff helped me with their private equipments! Very helpful!

HOSTEL
The rooms are clean and new, but really, really hot!!! We had 4 fans and we felt in a microwave!!! They also tried to help us on this issue, with more fans, but no way!!! Very hot! We stayed in a dorm in the first floor.

KITCHEN
We share the bar's kitchen. There are 3 problems:
1 - close at 7pm... It means that you almost have no time to cook when you get back from the dives.
2 - the refrigerator is inside the office and the laundry room. You have no access to your stuffs during the night (cold water in the middle of the night is impossible).
3 - As you share the bar's kitchen, usually you want to eat at the same time everyone does: backing from the dives. It means that this is the time that the staff cooks for everyone and so, there is no space to cook together. The staff (ALWAYS HELPFUL) did what they could. But, if more than 1 group hosted in this place wants to cook, there is a big problem.

STAFF
Amazing! Very helpful! Limited by some hostel structure limitations!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We are staying at pirates bay inn at the moment while we do our dive course through them (captain Morgan's) and it is Perfect. Kevin and all his staff are extremely welcoming, friendly and professional. The entire hostel is Clean, fresh, quiet, chilled and social. They have hot water, air con or fans, wifi, bar- everything! Beautiful location on the beach and only a couple minutes walk to everything. If you have the opportunity to stay here, do so!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful private room upstairs, however all of them are just as nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brittany K
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Good diving! GREAT STAFF, It was like diving with frinds! Pamala, went above and beyond. even made other hotel, taxi, and ferry bookings when we left. Dive masters, Boat captons, instructors, ..all seconed to none! Even "Bar Brian", and office staff..makes you fell like one of the gang!

Room Tip: I stayed on first floor, I thought it might be loud, it was close to the bar, but was not. Bar close...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Located in the center of attention, just 2 minutes from Tranquilo bar and the "Skid Row". The atmosphere is chill and very social. The staff (managment, reception, bar, instructors, boat captain) is just pure fun, very welcoming and professional. I had a great time and learned alot in only one week!
The rooms were great, with hot showers, lockers and enough room for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here June 26th to June 30th and I would not have stayed anywhere else ! First off, the weather forecasts for "isolated or scattered showers" is [--], it was pure sunshine every single day and before I arrived as well. I chose this hotel initially because it had it all - a sandy beach to lay on, a dock to jump off and get onto the dive boat, a yard with picnic tables for bbq-ing, and of course a deck that wraps around. I ATV-ed around the whole island and saw other places which cannot beat this! Not only were the accomodations very comfortable ( me and my boyfriend got the private room with private bathroom on the 2nd room with air conditioning), but the feel of the entire place is friendly, chill, fun, it always had everyone in a great mood. The air conditioning is quiet and got us too cold every night - I would actually be turning it off mid-way , but worth getting if you're "always hot" ! And tons of brownie points for the bar downstairs, it wasn't a deciding factor for me to have a bar or kitchen at the hotel because I love to venture out to other places, but I was at the bar so much! whether it was passing through, or to talk to people, to grab water, and beers of course, or checking out the menu, it definitely is a hot spot for all the guests. They offer breakfast of whatever you want which we pre-ordered the day before, and offer great meals for lunch and dinner. Dessert I didn't personally try, but everyone was raving about the pies. And another surprise was a locked area behind the bar for storage of all the diving gear. Captain Morgan's (the dive shop affiliated ) picks you up right at the dock, and drops you off right there, there are bins of fresh water to soak your gear in and a huge room to hang everything to dry / for the next day. Please check my review for Captain Morgan's as of course I dove with them during my stay and loved it. The beach was perfect, they have floaties and a canoe and pretty shells to pick. You can snorkel and see tons of fish especially under the dock. I was warned about the mosquitos and that is everywhere on the island so bring bug spray or buy it at the store. I laid in a colorful hammock everyday swaying and looking out at our beach and gorgeous scenery. The owner Kevin did a great job and it would be super cool if they eventually built a 3rd floor for more rooms and a higher rooftop to see more stars. Many people I met wanted to stay here once they arrived but all the rooms were taken - of course - I jumped onto the reservation as fast as I could ;) Had a great time, best vaca ever ! Going to spread the word out !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelica W
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My girfriend and I flew into Utila for a week long stay to complete my Rescue Diver and her Open Water dive course. The price was very reasonable for the course and it included free stay in the dorm rooms. We opted to pay for a private room with A/C and it was well worth the additional money (total of $40 each night when diving that day). It was not adequately explained to us in person, nor on their website or email, that the "diver's discount" only applies to the room for those days you are actually diving...any nights you stay and haven't dove that day is charged at a higher rate for that night. Our room was comfortable, large, cleaned daily, and the communal environments were inviting for all to utilize. We frequently used the kitchen and the two fridges onsite.
There were at least two dives each day- morning around 7am and afternoon around 1pm...They also travel out to the North Shore where there is far less boat and diver traffic. Night dives were also available. The staff were very nice particularly Pamela (Manager) who assisted with our many questions and helped us book our accommodations around other parts of Honduras for the rest of our stay. Her efforts went above and beyond and enabled us to be worry free during the remainder of our travels.
To my witness, my girlfriend's dive Instructor Brian was very thorough and patient with her class - she had nothing but good things to say about him...He provided a safe and comfortable learning environment for all, and answered the many novice questions the students had during the course. She felt confident and safe as a beginner diver upon completing her course in just 3.5 days.
My rescue diver course was very disorganized at first, and rather slow to start and so took much longer than expected. This was the result of poor communication amongst the staff and trying to fit my solo course in amongst larger open water groups...That being said, the course progressed nicely and I learnt what I needed to learn and am a better diver for it! Kudos to Joe for making such a great (and light) "victim" for my course. Can't beat one-on-one learning; in fact, all my practical for the course was taught by Instructor Shane with Divemaster Joe...and then there was me!
Beware of the sand-flies, do your research and take your precautions. They are absolutely rampant on the island. Nowhere have I been where they are this bad and it is no secret either. My advice: stay off the beach from twilight to sunrise! Wear your baby-oil (an island secret) and high-deet mosquito repellent. I'd also recommend packing tea-tree oil from home...and be sure to grab some Hydrocortisone (or similar) cream, Calamine lotion, and white vinegar to clean and manage the itch!

Room Tip: Esp. if travelling with a significant other, opt for A/C and a private room...further from the bar i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple