“Best experience ever !”

Bay Islands College of Diving
Ranked #5 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: A professional and fun team dedicated to teach all levels of diving, from beginner to professional, so all your scuba dreams can become true! Come and join the BICD family for memories and an experience of a life time.
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We came to BICD because if the reviews it had here an we were not disappointed . The prices were excellent , they offered free accommodations which weren't too bad, I mean if you're gonna get a room for free you really can't complain about being fancy. My instructor nick was great, he was really patient and was always cracking jokes, he really made the boring part of diving fun(class work). My husband took a course with Rimus and really enjoyed it as well, all the instructors are grey and very proffecional. They have by far the nicest boats on the island. Staff at BICD were very nice , and the ones at the utila lodge were nice as well. Really enoyed our time here, meet some really nice people. Recommend it for anyone trying to get certified and wanting to save money :)

1  Thank Ximena P

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at BICD the past week. Upon arriving we were taken on a tour of the office, a beautiful lodge attached, and then finally a dingy hotel next to the lodge where they send the colleges overflow of visitors. We were under the impression that we would be staying in the nice clean rooms offered by the college but instead we were placed in Hotel Utila which was very dirty and was home to cockroaches and a very rude and unnattentive manager who would be yelling at her children at 6 am. After asking a few times, a room finally 'appeared' in the college lodging and we spent the rest of our time there which was a very nice, clean room. Our scuba instructor Nick was really awesome and we had a great time with him. The big boat was broken down for the duration of our scuba course so we had to fit 9 people and everyone's equipment on a tiny speedboat for our dives which made that part very unenjoyable. Apart from the scuba course, the staff in Utila lodge was very rude and non responsive. On our last day at the college with already a bad taste in our mouth, my camera was stolen from the lodges computer early in the morning when the only people around were the morning staff and a younger girl who is the lodges nanny. After questioning all of the staff and searching for hours by ourselves with no help from the manager, I left empty handed and very distraught. The BICD manager still made us pay for our lodging and sent us on our way with a promise of contacting me about my camera. After five days I still haven't received an email, and there is nothing being done in regards to my stolen camera. All in all a very terrible experience (other than the time spent with our instructor) with very unorganized staff. All I left Utila with was the loss of a months worth of travelling pictures and the desire to never go back to BICD.

8  Thank Rafb1
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The whole scuba/island lifestyle was great for the week I was there and it was my fourth time there. I recommend Utila its paradise, along with the BICD team which are the most welcoming people I have met.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We had heard from folks in El Tunco to make this our place for diving and lodging. Upon arriving the staff worked hard at selling us but as days followed the hidden costs mounted and the housing provided was also home to cockroaches and little lizards. The actual diving instruction was fabulous, I had a teacher named Rimus but others I watched or ease dropped on didn't seem to be as friendly or good at teaching. There appeared to be a disconnect between the dive shop/housing and the attached lodge despite us being told we could use the amenities (which were numerous including a gym, pool table and deck. We were not made to feel especially comfortable (with the exception of the instructor) with our stay past the first day when we were being sales pitched to. The dive gear was new and kept in good condition, but finding appropriately fitting suit and mask was made difficult. The instructor ended up letting me use his mask. Overall, good place to dive but the establishment feels inconsistent, poorly managed and do not expect good lodging if their housing on site is full.

2  Thank FL1215
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great dive school, I literally can't think of even one suggestion of how they could improve! They are super professional and don't cut any corners in their instruction, like we heard that some of the other dive schools on the island do.

This dive school is a little more expensive than the others, although with the additional amenities that they have (e.g. hyperbaric chamber, proper dive boats, on site swimming pool, max 4 students per class), I think that the slightly increased cost is justified.

1  Thank sh1202