“Good diving but poor lodging”

Bay Islands College of Diving
Ranked #5 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: A professional and fun team dedicated to teach all levels of diving, from beginner to professional, so all your scuba dreams can become true! Come and join the BICD family for memories and an experience of a life time.
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We had heard from folks in El Tunco to make this our place for diving and lodging. Upon arriving the staff worked hard at selling us but as days followed the hidden costs mounted and the housing provided was also home to cockroaches and little lizards. The actual diving instruction was fabulous, I had a teacher named Rimus but others I watched or ease dropped on didn't seem to be as friendly or good at teaching. There appeared to be a disconnect between the dive shop/housing and the attached lodge despite us being told we could use the amenities (which were numerous including a gym, pool table and deck. We were not made to feel especially comfortable (with the exception of the instructor) with our stay past the first day when we were being sales pitched to. The dive gear was new and kept in good condition, but finding appropriately fitting suit and mask was made difficult. The instructor ended up letting me use his mask. Overall, good place to dive but the establishment feels inconsistent, poorly managed and do not expect good lodging if their housing on site is full.

2  Thank FL1215
in 4 reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great dive school, I literally can't think of even one suggestion of how they could improve! They are super professional and don't cut any corners in their instruction, like we heard that some of the other dive schools on the island do.

This dive school is a little more expensive than the others, although with the additional amenities that they have (e.g. hyperbaric chamber, proper dive boats, on site swimming pool, max 4 students per class), I think that the slightly increased cost is justified.

1  Thank sh1202
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I completed my Emergency First Responder and Rescue Diver certifications at BICD and enjoyed the experience. When I arrived, Fern helped me get registered and she was able to find a room for me next door at Utila Hotel since BICD was full. Heather was my instructor and she was very thorough and professional during both courses. Remis helped with the initial rescue dives and was really knowledgeable. Gemma and Alana were great DMTs as well - they made the scenarios fun learning experiences.

I had my own equipment but even the rental equipment looked nice and well maintained - cleaning was thorough and there is a good storage facility. The dive boat is sizable, clean, and conveniently located at the Utila Lodge dock, close to the on-site hyperbaric chamber. There is reliable wifi on the Lodge dock and also in the dive shop. It was a nice added touch to be offered a complimentary BICD t-shirt or tank at completion of my courses. The certification cards were submitted timely and received within a week.

1  Thank SuburbtoSuitcase
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We arrived in Utila and were greeted by the normal rush of all the schools selling their place. Rebecca was polite and not pushy. We checked out BICD then went to a handful of other places and decided to go back to BICD. They were cost a bit more for the classes but with the clean rooms I felt it was worth it. The 10 dive package is a great deal. The instructors and dive masters were all great and professional. Remis (not sure about the spelling) was awesome! He made my AOW class a ton of fun and he is super knowledgeable. I wish I got to dive with dive master LT. Not only was she great to dive with, she was great with dive logs and the knowledge about the marine life. Fern is about the nicest person I've ever met and Danny was a ton of fun to dive with. I wish I had more time to dive with the other DMs also but our honeymoon came to an end.

Not only was the diving great, but just the general hangout in the office and around the dock was super chill too. It also helps that the office is the cheapest place for beer... ;)

1  Thank ZCromwell
See more reviews
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my 3 months with BICD. I went from an open water newbie with no experience to dive master with the folks at BICD, and they were a huge reason I stayed that long and kept diving. Everyone at the shop is great, it's a very close group of people that really care about each other and those who come through the shop to dive. I would definitely recommend BICD to anyone coming to Utila to do their open water, or for their dive master or IDC... and even if you just think you are doing your open water, who knows?

1  Thank Traviswk