“Good homemade pasta, OK atmosphere”

La Piccola - Kate's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 46 Restaurants in Utila
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The restaurant is upstairs in a building off of the main street in town, with a balcony overlooking the street. Not much of a view, but it is nice to get above street level. Some reviewers have reported poor service but in my two visits (dinner) I did not notice this. Service may not be as attentive as in North America but I was always greeted promptly, served quickly and brought the bill when asked.

The food was good, particularly the gnocchi and the spinach ravioli. Pasta was tender with good sauces. Most dishes are served with a small salad and bread. I tried to stick with the pastas made in house and was generally pleased. As others have reported, the restaurant unexpectedly run out of things, which can be an issue if you have a specific dish in mind.

The prices are probably on the higher end for Utila and my meals generally came out to L 250 - 350 ($12 - $18) including a pasta and couple of beers.

While I did not attempt to pay with a credit card, I did notice some locations advertise they take cards, have taken them in the past, etc but most restaurants on the island don't accept cards. Always plan to pay with cash. This is not exclusive to La Piccola, just a general observation.

There are newer reviews for La Piccola - Kate's Italian Restaurant

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The worst restaurant on Utila ,if you can call this apparition a restaurant.
The staff are surly, the food is mediocre if not grim and to add insult to injury the worst exchange rate 19 lempira to the dollar the exchange rate at the time was 21' by giving them a 50 we lost we lost a 100 lempira on the deal. Keep away you have been warned.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Food was ok. Not great. Not terrible. Young folks hangout and trying for a romantic atmosphere with street noise and mosquitos. Expensive and LOUSY service !

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I requested the lasagne but was told 'we don't have it' well it would have been helpful to tell us when the menu's were given, not after choosing something that wasn't available. The waitress was miserable and gave me dirty cutlery. The food was actually quite good (gnocchi and penne pasta) but the lack of service and atmosphere outweighed this. Lots of tax added on but service not included - good job as we didn't get any.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Good food, they make their own pastas. The balcony is overlooking the main street and it's a bit noisy. The 3 times we were there, the same Pink Floyd reccords were playing, I like Pink Floyd but not while having a romantic dinner with my loved one