“Good food but a problem with ambiance”

La Piccola - Kate's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 48 Restaurants in Utila
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Good food, they make their own pastas. The balcony is overlooking the main street and it's a bit noisy. The 3 times we were there, the same Pink Floyd reccords were playing, I like Pink Floyd but not while having a romantic dinner with my loved one

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Food here is good, but they often run out of things. I had been looking forward to a proper lasagna for a long time, but when I got there, they told me that they didn't have it, and that they most likely wouldn't get the lasagna plates anytime soon. Downer. When me and my friend both settled for the pork chop, it turned out that they only had one left. I was the lucky one, and the chops were very, very good. Good meat, loads of onions and good potatoes. Also, a big plus for the free salad everybody get.

Service was a bit slow and the waiters weren't too attentive, but that's probably because there was only one of them for the whole resturant. All in all, an OK place.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I ate dinner here one night in March; had the fish of the day (kingfish). Prices were great, service was fast, vegetables were fresh and well-prepared, everything was very tasty. I'd go back any time. I almost didn't go because of all the negative reviews recently, but I'm not sure where they come from because my experience was so superb.

The photo here on the tripadvisor page doesn't match where I was; I ate on a second-floor patio (there is also an indoor space on the same floor). The aboututila-dot-com website has more up to date photos and a description of how to get there.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had dinner here, their sign board on the street had interesting specials listed, and noted they took credit cards.

The food was not good. We both had ravioli and the pasta thick and doughy. There was hardly any bread served with the good and that which was, was stale stale stale.

When the bill came, the waiter said they did not take credit cards. When we pointed out the sign on the street, he said they hadn't taken them for two weeks.

He told us to go to the store downstairs and they would run the card through. When we went in there they looked at us as though we were nuts, and said they had never taken credit cards.

All in all just a really bad dinner and a really bad experience. There are great restaurants on Utila, this just isn't one of them!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I heard good things about this restaurant so decided to go on a date with my boyfriend. The board out front advertised vegetarian options but when we went in to ask about the choices the staff member that eventually greeted us (after tidying menus) said something along the lines of "You vegetarians are always difficult". After which she said that there was nothing here for us to eat. So we left hungry. The eateries in Utila have different levels of service from North America but I have not yet encountered someone so unwilling to help, to me a red flag. I would save yourself the effort of climbing the stairs and go somewhere else as there are lots of good restaurants on the island.