“Bad service”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I heard good things about this restaurant so decided to go on a date with my boyfriend. The board out front advertised vegetarian options but when we went in to ask about the choices the staff member that eventually greeted us (after tidying menus) said something along the lines of "You vegetarians are always difficult". After which she said that there was nothing here for us to eat. So we left hungry. The eateries in Utila have different levels of service from North America but I have not yet encountered someone so unwilling to help, to me a red flag. I would save yourself the effort of climbing the stairs and go somewhere else as there are lots of good restaurants on the island.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The food was OK, but nothing special. Our server was very nice, but the wait was very long - took about an hour to get our food. The pasta was not particularly fresh or tasty. There are better places to eat on the island.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

decided to check this place out with all the goo reviews. expensive for Utila but got to treat yourself.

First off dont ask the waiters about fish as the reply is I am the wrong one to ask, i dont eat fish. The fact they only had fresh water fish available on an Island should have rung alarm bells.

If you order the ravioli with stuffed spinach and ricotta , and a pesto sauce you get no ricotta and no pesto sauce.

If you order the spagetti with gorgazola sauce you get spagetti with a white cheese sauce (bottleed), the same one on the ravioli I ordered.

The pork chop comes with chaibata bread and rice, but none arrived, aparently they have changed the menu so that is why......

Finaly to cap it off they tried to charge 90 lp tax, for the food and drinks. No where is this mentioned on the menu that tax is to be added or not included. To argue the point with the owner took some time , with excuses that I cant put it on the menu ?, I pionted out it would take 1 second to do this with a pen.....

overall a very very poor place living on reviews from its previous owner, a complete rip off and non event , aviod and eat at a good local place instead.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Ate dinner here just after Christmas. Although this is an Italian restaurant the staff on the night I ate there was french. The menu board advertised mojitos, but these were not available. The restaurant also ran out of one of the red wines available by the glass. However, waitress did undertake a yeoman effort to make it up to us.
We had kingfish with capers and a pasta dish with black olives. Both were very good, especially the kingfish - which should be eaten whenever you get a chance on Utila.
The atmosphere at La Piccola is a lot more grown up than many of the other restaurants on Utila, this could be due to this being a restaurant as opposed to a sea side bar.
Worth a visit.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Everything was just great, service and food, great bread, best place to eat on the island! Pasta, meat and fish that was ordered were all great.